Used 2000 Saturn L-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Saturn L-series - Consumer Reviews

2000 Saturn L-Series

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:

Run from this car
By rich

2000 Saturn L-Series LS1 4dr Sedan

This 2000 LS Saturn has serious problems with the timing chain. Run as fast as you can from this car. Because of Saturns zero tolerance engine, once the timing chain breaks - and it will, be prepared to spend at least $4,000. Saturn will NOT help with repairs. Please read the recall investigations about this car. Only recommend this car to your worst enemy.

Favorite Features

Sun roof

Suggested Improvements

Step up to the plate and take responsibility for the timing chain failure.

Good, solid wagon
By 54x12

2000 Saturn L-Series LW2 4dr Wagon

We were looking a functional, reliable wagon and Saturn gave us one. The car has worked well for us over the last 115,000 miles and has required about $1,500 of unschedule repairs over the last 50,000 miles. For the last four years the car has been used to assist in various household projects that other folks would use their F150 truck for: hauling flagstone, sand, crushed rock, sheetrock and plywood. It has given us no problems at all. We driven it on trips to northern Quebec with mountain bikes on the roof and it runs great at highway speeds with enough power to pass on hills. It corners very well for a wagon and the paint after eight years still looks fine.

Favorite Features

Cargo capacity of the wagon, responsive engine, handles well at speed

Suggested Improvements

Front seat comfort and seat back adjustment

Joke of a car
By rich

2000 Saturn L-Series LS1 4dr Sedan

Having owned this vechicle for over 8 years, I can say I've not experienced any major problems. This is because there are only 52,000 miles driven. This car has to have the worst resale value. Any repairs almost have to be done at the dealer. Part stores do not carry anything. Dealer repairs are too high priced. Saturn wanted to charge me $32 to change a 3rd brake light bulb. It cost $7 just for the bulb at the dealer. I bought 1 bulb & changed it myself in 1 minute. Saturn has a serious problem with the timing chain & zero tolerance on their engine. Do a little internet research & you will see that Saturn has a major problem on their hands that they are trying their best to avoid.

Favorite Features

Dent free panels

Suggested Improvements

Fix the timing chains on these vechicles.

Early glitches but OK from then on.
By Anne

2000 Saturn L-Series LS1 4dr Sedan

My Saturn was a former car rental, with several things wrong when I bought it: bad taillight assembly, leaking air conditioner, defunct cruise control. It had 15 K on it. When I took it to Saturn dealership they refused to acknowledge anything was wrong with the cruise control and I went back and forth 9 times before I called customer service in Tenn. and they replaced it immediately. After 107,000 K my only complaint is the broken sun visor and seat compartment lid. Saturn wants $58 each to replace, not including labor! I have never been informed of recalls. CD is broken and it locks you out sometimes.

Favorite Features

Gets 33 highway with no AC and on cruise. Always starts, no matter the weather. Great looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Saturn should repair/replace things that are design defects or due to materials stress, like the sun visor leg. Dealers should also believe the owner and give better (and cheaper) customer service.

Excellent Car!
By crazyhusband

2000 Saturn L-Series LS2 4dr Sedan

My wife bought the car in may of last year and since then it has been to Disney world 3 times with no problems. The only thing done to it other than oil was a new set of tires earlier this year.

Favorite Features

Love the fuel mileage. It can go from Phoenix City, AL to Ocala, FL on 3/4 tank. That's just over 300 miles with 3 adults, luggage, and air on the whole way.

Suggested Improvements

None. One solidly built car.