2000 Saturn L-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:
Saturn L Series Wagon
By cnardei on 10/05/05 14:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series LW2 4dr Wagon

Very reliable vehicle with good hauling capacity. By the end of the 4th year of ownership, the chrome plating on front interior door handles flaked off. The top of the armrest/storage compartment between the front bucket seats tends to break off easily; having paid to replace it on three occasions.

Very nice, reliable, smooth ride
By Kingman94 on 07/27/05 13:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS1 4dr Sedan

Great in rain and snow. Economical. European feel to the steering - nice. I have no complaints about this model. I am extremely happy. Very few repairs made, and now at 142K.

2000 L 4dr sedan 4 cyl.
By Dennis on 07/26/05 13:56 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS1 4dr Sedan

Fun car to drive. Power is excellent for a four cylinder. Fuel economy is great! Had a problem with rack and pinion steering early on. Had the unit replaced. That should have not happened. Some other real minor problems that I would expect with any car. The stereo system had both the CD and cassette player. Real forward thinking during this change over period. I plan to buy another new Saturn this fall. Maybe the small 4x4. That would be my third Saturn. The customer service at Saturn has kept me from exploring Nissan or Toyota. Hard to walk away from super customer service.

A Great Wagon, Especially for the Price!
By Jason Kevin on 06/02/05 11:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series LW2 4dr Wagon

Has been a huge asset to the family! Lots of room, and a reliable ride with great MPG make for a real winner! Have been getting near 30MPG with the V6. Couldn't be happier with that number! It's not an exciting wagon (like the Magnum), but it's a great looking wagon. If you expect the looks of a sports car, don't get it, but if you want a nice looking midsize American wagon, without the fishbowl look of the Taurus, you can't go wrong. Lots of pickup, great brakes (ABS+Traction), and a smooth ride. Have Potenza tires for what it's worth. They seem to fit the car quite nicely. I've never seen a glove compartment so large! High Beams are great - can see easily in the back roads of New England!

I love my Saturn!
By Kit524 on 04/22/05 12:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS2 4dr Sedan

I truly love my Saturn! It's a very reliable and economical car to drive! It gets great gas mileage - and my V6 can really get up and go!

Think Twice
By Chris on 04/04/05 13:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS1 4dr Sedan

If you are considering this model for purchase, my advice to you is to think twice. This is the very first American- made vehicle I've ever purchased, and am I ever disappointed!! This model has had 3 factory recalls, for starters. My car currently has UNDER 50, 000 miles on it, and it is in the shop getting the timing chain and valves replaced to the tune of about $3K when all is said and done. Watch the air conditioning hoses, the tail and brake light wiring, and check for leaks in the coolant system before you even take Step 1 toward purchasing this vehicle. Buying a Saturn L- Series, let alone any other GM vehicle, is a mistake I will never make again.

Unhappy
By Jerry on 03/26/05 22:18 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS1 4dr Sedan

This is my second Saturn. (1st one was a 95 ) Got the L series the first year it came out. Have had many things go wrong with it. Door handles break. Water leaks. Steering rack needed to be replaced one time and is starting to go again. Key ignition going bad. Had to have a locksmith come out so I could get the key to turn. Need to have it replaced. Some of the examples are minor BUT it seems that more are coming up all the time. I WAS a happy Saturn owner but I don't think I will buy another one. I don't think I will buy Saturn again and am starting looking into buying another car.

Don't waste your money
By What a piece! on 03/16/05 16:22 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS2 4dr Sedan

I originally loved this car, but imagine that. As soon as the warranty ran out (and it was paid off!), the car just started to fall apart. Within 37-40K miles I replaced the oxygen sensor, mass air flow sensor, and the windshield wiper motor. Now my brake lights don't work when the headlights are on (another $500 to replace both light fixtures - which the dealership said is common on this vehicle). Then, I had Saturn appraise the car for a trade-in and the steering (another common problem) is going out and will cost $1200 to fix. What a pile of junk! I couldn't give this car away! I am done with Saturn.

I love my Saturn.
By Kitty on 03/03/05 01:50 AM (PST)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS2 4dr Sedan

My Saturn is a very reliable and economical car. It's fun to drive. Has quite a bit of power for a sedan. I once had a Honda Accord coupe - and my Saturn handles quite a bit like it did. I think that Saturns are good cars for the money.

Underwhelmed
By F J Lewis on 12/18/04 16:17 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn L-Series LW2 4dr Wagon

I've owned many Saturns that were very reliable. However, this vehicle has had too many issues, the most disconcerting being: original (Firestone) tires done at 20K mi.; brake rotors replaced at 40K; turn signal switch replaced at 42K; ignition key/security system switch replacement at 48K (took several attempts to diagnose & correct); A/C repaired at 53K; thermostat & oil seal leaks at 54K. Then there's the light bulb thing and intermittent problems in the sound system-- this is a really weird one (only on AM band; usually when moisture is high). Dealer unable to diagnose because they "can't repeat the problem." It's a good thing I purchased a 6yr/ 75000 mile extended warranty!