2000 Saturn L-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:
Run from this car
By rich on 12/24/08 11:19 AM (PST)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS1 4dr Sedan

This 2000 LS Saturn has serious problems with the timing chain. Run as fast as you can from this car. Because of Saturns zero tolerance engine, once the timing chain breaks - and it will, be prepared to spend at least $4,000. Saturn will NOT help with repairs. Please read the recall investigations about this car. Only recommend this car to your worst enemy.

Good, solid wagon
By 54x12 on 10/30/08 06:31 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series LW2 4dr Wagon

We were looking a functional, reliable wagon and Saturn gave us one. The car has worked well for us over the last 115,000 miles and has required about $1,500 of unschedule repairs over the last 50,000 miles. For the last four years the car has been used to assist in various household projects that other folks would use their F150 truck for: hauling flagstone, sand, crushed rock, sheetrock and plywood. It has given us no problems at all. We driven it on trips to northern Quebec with mountain bikes on the roof and it runs great at highway speeds with enough power to pass on hills. It corners very well for a wagon and the paint after eight years still looks fine.

Joke of a car
By rich on 08/15/08 09:32 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS1 4dr Sedan

Having owned this vechicle for over 8 years, I can say I've not experienced any major problems. This is because there are only 52,000 miles driven. This car has to have the worst resale value. Any repairs almost have to be done at the dealer. Part stores do not carry anything. Dealer repairs are too high priced. Saturn wanted to charge me $32 to change a 3rd brake light bulb. It cost $7 just for the bulb at the dealer. I bought 1 bulb & changed it myself in 1 minute. Saturn has a serious problem with the timing chain & zero tolerance on their engine. Do a little internet research & you will see that Saturn has a major problem on their hands that they are trying their best to avoid.

Early glitches but OK from then on.
By Anne on 08/02/08 16:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS1 4dr Sedan

My Saturn was a former car rental, with several things wrong when I bought it: bad taillight assembly, leaking air conditioner, defunct cruise control. It had 15 K on it. When I took it to Saturn dealership they refused to acknowledge anything was wrong with the cruise control and I went back and forth 9 times before I called customer service in Tenn. and they replaced it immediately. After 107,000 K my only complaint is the broken sun visor and seat compartment lid. Saturn wants $58 each to replace, not including labor! I have never been informed of recalls. CD is broken and it locks you out sometimes.

Excellent Car!
By crazyhusband on 05/28/08 15:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS2 4dr Sedan

My wife bought the car in may of last year and since then it has been to Disney world 3 times with no problems. The only thing done to it other than oil was a new set of tires earlier this year.

Not bad for the buck
By ken on 05/08/08 13:34 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS1 4dr Sedan

Bought LS1,4 banger, back in 2004 with about 75k. Now 50k later, I can't really complaint about my car. Sure I had some repairs but it only totalled about $850 in 4 years. Not bad in my opinion. It makes some squeeks and thumps now and then, but hey it has over 120k.

Solid Transportation
By Kristin on 01/21/08 08:07 AM (PST)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS 4dr Sedan

I've enjoyed driving this car. I purchased it 2 years old with 12,000 miles on it. I am glad for the extended 75,000 warrenty. The car has performed very well over the last 88,000 miles. My biggest complaint is problems with the engine coil. Its been replaced every 35K miles. Other repairs I've made: New steering rack (65k), Catalytic Converter (95K), Accelleration assembly has been 100% replaced over time...problems with sticky pedal, CV Boot (55K). In my experience, these are not excessive repairs, except the engine coil which was replaced under campaign then broke in the same manner later. Its also alway had a slight hesitation under load while climbing.

My Saturn
By AyChiMama on 01/10/08 06:48 AM (PST)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS1 4dr Sedan

I love my Saturn. While I have had to do some repairs, none were major. Makes no noises, drive smoothly and pick up is fast.

I love my LS1
By Al Sylvia on 12/16/07 08:56 AM (PST)

2000 Saturn L-Series LS1 4dr Sedan

My Saturn has been the best coupe I've ever owned. I bought mine new in 2000, and almost 8 years later the car is still performing like new. It's only broken down twice while I've owned it -- both times the fixes were simple and inexpensive. The transmission is geared just right -- just the right amount of pep for a mid-size 4 cylinder, but not so powerful as to entice my teenage son to drag.

Overall, I'm pleased!
By Overall, I'm pleased on 07/30/07 14:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series LW2 4dr Wagon

Its first owner pampered it, and so do I. There have been only a couple of repairs, each under $1,000, in its 7 years. It handles very well in all conditions, and the engine is very responsive (though a little sluggish into first gear). It's loaded, and all features work well. The design is simple, cargo space is excellent, the body integrity shoddy (quality control was out to lunch for the doors, seals, and cargo area wall inspections!)