Used 2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Saturn L-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:

Most Helpful|
Good, solid wagon
By 54x12

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW2 4dr Wagon

We were looking a functional, reliable wagon and Saturn gave us one. The car has worked well for us over the last 115,000 miles and has required about $1,500 of unschedule repairs over the last 50,000 miles. For the last four years the car has been used to assist in various household projects that other folks would use their F150 truck for: hauling flagstone, sand, crushed rock, sheetrock and plywood. It has given us no problems at all. We driven it on trips to northern Quebec with mountain bikes on the roof and it runs great at highway speeds with enough power to pass on hills. It corners very well for a wagon and the paint after eight years still looks fine.

Favorite Features

Cargo capacity of the wagon, responsive engine, handles well at speed

Suggested Improvements

Front seat comfort and seat back adjustment

Got a good one
By twinmom

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW1 4dr Wagon

I bought my 2000LW1 in Feb of 2004 it had 20,000 miles. I worked as a courier for a living and drove the car about 300 miles a day, 5 days a week in all weather conditions. This car has 321,000 miles on it!! The only thing that stopped it was hitting a deer last May, which totaled the car. It was all body damage so I just had the motor put in a LS1. After sitting for a year it fired right up and is still running strong. The only things I had to do to the car (before the deer) was oil changes, tires, and at 320,000 had to replace the fuel pump. This was a wonderful car, great gas mileage and fun to drive. I would buy another one for sure. Have to see how many miles the first engine will go.

Favorite Features

sporty and fun to drive

Worst Vehicle Ever!
By Raven

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW1 4dr Wagon

Along with multiple electrical problems, ignition problems, severe vibration, bad power window switch (expensive for plastic) and a rusted out front frame, now the timing chain is going. I knew I didn't want to buy it, now I know why. I've had it less than a year and will be lucky if I can give it away! My Chevy gives me fewer problems at 172k...The Saturn only has 121k It's cramped, sets way too low, placement of cup holders makes access hard. This thing is just an all around lemon. My plymouth breeze was better, and it wasn't a very good car, either.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

If you can't do it right, don't do it at all! Not everyone can afford to keep repairing junk.

Piece of Junk --- don't buy
By yelowd

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW2 4dr Wagon

Wow. What a piece of junk. Bought it with 45,000 miles. In 1000 miles I had to pay $500 to get rear suspension shimmed so it would align properly and not eat up tires or make a lot of noise and then the water pump went on it, which took out the whole engine. Swell. Thankfully, I bought an $1800 warranty, because the car was in the shop every other month. Bought the car for $9100. Repairs covered by warranty totalled $12,200 by June of 2006. Things fixed: alignment, waterpump (2x), rack and pinion, p/s pump, transmission (2x), front suspension (2x), etc. It is junk. As for driving, it is surprisingly quick, and corners well, though the engine is a bit loud and not smooth. Don't buy it.

Favorite Features

It was fast for a little wagon when it wasn't in the shop. Also, with Affinity LH30 tires, it was really good in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Don't even bother. Saab engine on an Opel platform, with Saturn badging and engineering. Destined to fail. Give up GM.

Overall, I'm pleased!
By Overall, I'm pleased

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW2 4dr Wagon

Its first owner pampered it, and so do I. There have been only a couple of repairs, each under $1,000, in its 7 years. It handles very well in all conditions, and the engine is very responsive (though a little sluggish into first gear). It's loaded, and all features work well. The design is simple, cargo space is excellent, the body integrity shoddy (quality control was out to lunch for the doors, seals, and cargo area wall inspections!)

Favorite Features

Engine power, handling, cargo space, sound system, leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Improved quality control for body integrity. Better lower back support in seats. Window controls on doors, rather than center console. Easier to access engine air filter. Window rain deflectors. Ability to open cargo-area side windows to improve air flow and aerodynamics.