2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific L-Series model:
Got a good one
By twinmom on 05/06/09 20:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW1 4dr Wagon

I bought my 2000LW1 in Feb of 2004 it had 20,000 miles. I worked as a courier for a living and drove the car about 300 miles a day, 5 days a week in all weather conditions. This car has 321,000 miles on it!! The only thing that stopped it was hitting a deer last May, which totaled the car. It was all body damage so I just had the motor put in a LS1. After sitting for a year it fired right up and is still running strong. The only things I had to do to the car (before the deer) was oil changes, tires, and at 320,000 had to replace the fuel pump. This was a wonderful car, great gas mileage and fun to drive. I would buy another one for sure. Have to see how many miles the first engine will go.

Worst Vehicle Ever!
By Raven on 02/05/09 21:26 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW1 4dr Wagon

Along with multiple electrical problems, ignition problems, severe vibration, bad power window switch (expensive for plastic) and a rusted out front frame, now the timing chain is going. I knew I didn't want to buy it, now I know why. I've had it less than a year and will be lucky if I can give it away! My Chevy gives me fewer problems at 172k...The Saturn only has 121k It's cramped, sets way too low, placement of cup holders makes access hard. This thing is just an all around lemon. My plymouth breeze was better, and it wasn't a very good car, either.

Good, solid wagon
By 54x12 on 10/30/08 06:31 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW2 4dr Wagon

We were looking a functional, reliable wagon and Saturn gave us one. The car has worked well for us over the last 115,000 miles and has required about $1,500 of unschedule repairs over the last 50,000 miles. For the last four years the car has been used to assist in various household projects that other folks would use their F150 truck for: hauling flagstone, sand, crushed rock, sheetrock and plywood. It has given us no problems at all. We driven it on trips to northern Quebec with mountain bikes on the roof and it runs great at highway speeds with enough power to pass on hills. It corners very well for a wagon and the paint after eight years still looks fine.

Overall, I'm pleased!
By Overall, I'm pleased on 07/30/07 14:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW2 4dr Wagon

Its first owner pampered it, and so do I. There have been only a couple of repairs, each under $1,000, in its 7 years. It handles very well in all conditions, and the engine is very responsive (though a little sluggish into first gear). It's loaded, and all features work well. The design is simple, cargo space is excellent, the body integrity shoddy (quality control was out to lunch for the doors, seals, and cargo area wall inspections!)

Piece of Junk --- don't buy
By yelowd on 09/15/06 11:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW2 4dr Wagon

Wow. What a piece of junk. Bought it with 45,000 miles. In 1000 miles I had to pay $500 to get rear suspension shimmed so it would align properly and not eat up tires or make a lot of noise and then the water pump went on it, which took out the whole engine. Swell. Thankfully, I bought an $1800 warranty, because the car was in the shop every other month. Bought the car for $9100. Repairs covered by warranty totalled $12,200 by June of 2006. Things fixed: alignment, waterpump (2x), rack and pinion, p/s pump, transmission (2x), front suspension (2x), etc. It is junk. As for driving, it is surprisingly quick, and corners well, though the engine is a bit loud and not smooth. Don't buy it.

Probably the worst car we've ever owned
By heather on 12/03/05 16:58 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW2 4dr Wagon

This is probably the worst vehicle I've ever had, and I really wanted to love it! Thank goodness we purchased the extended warranty, because if you add up what we would have spent over the past 2 years for major repairs without the warranty, it would be about $4500.00 (and we only paid $9500 for it used). Now, it's out of warranty, and it's going to be over another $1000.00 for a water pump, belt, and power steering fluid leak. And, their legendary reputation for taking care of customers has not been good either. It now has just over 80,000 miles, and it has had so many things just wear out and need replacing. It just seems to be a very "cheaply" made car.

Best Car I Ever Owner
By Maryanne on 10/25/05 19:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW2 4dr Wagon

Best car for the money today. I cannot believe what a great buy this car is. Completely dependable - not a penny in repairs. The interior is the MOST practical design, it had to be a team of female engineers. The power and performance are excellant. First off the mark - great granny car!

Saturn L Series Wagon
By cnardei on 10/05/05 14:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW2 4dr Wagon

Very reliable vehicle with good hauling capacity. By the end of the 4th year of ownership, the chrome plating on front interior door handles flaked off. The top of the armrest/storage compartment between the front bucket seats tends to break off easily; having paid to replace it on three occasions.

A Great Wagon, Especially for the Price!
By Jason Kevin on 06/02/05 11:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW2 4dr Wagon

Has been a huge asset to the family! Lots of room, and a reliable ride with great MPG make for a real winner! Have been getting near 30MPG with the V6. Couldn't be happier with that number! It's not an exciting wagon (like the Magnum), but it's a great looking wagon. If you expect the looks of a sports car, don't get it, but if you want a nice looking midsize American wagon, without the fishbowl look of the Taurus, you can't go wrong. Lots of pickup, great brakes (ABS+Traction), and a smooth ride. Have Potenza tires for what it's worth. They seem to fit the car quite nicely. I've never seen a glove compartment so large! High Beams are great - can see easily in the back roads of New England!

Underwhelmed
By F J Lewis on 12/18/04 16:17 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn L-Series Wagon LW2 4dr Wagon

I've owned many Saturns that were very reliable. However, this vehicle has had too many issues, the most disconcerting being: original (Firestone) tires done at 20K mi.; brake rotors replaced at 40K; turn signal switch replaced at 42K; ignition key/security system switch replacement at 48K (took several attempts to diagnose & correct); A/C repaired at 53K; thermostat & oil seal leaks at 54K. Then there's the light bulb thing and intermittent problems in the sound system-- this is a really weird one (only on AM band; usually when moisture is high). Dealer unable to diagnose because they "can't repeat the problem." It's a good thing I purchased a 6yr/ 75000 mile extended warranty!