2006 Saturn ION Consumer Review: Re-thinking GM's quality

2006 Saturn ION - Consumer Review

2006 Saturn ION

2 Sedan (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Re-thinking GM's quality
By KAMH on

2006 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Saturn Ion is a sharp-looking 4cyl. sedan. I feel it has much more personality than, say, the Cobalt. My former '96 Saturn (before GM began manufacturing them) was built to last. My Ion is very reliable, but only with some fixing of things I've NEVER had to fix on any car before, even when it was 10 years old. Ions are notorious for bad ignition switches. When you turn the key....nothing happens, not even a click of the starter. I've replaced sway bar links, insulator and bushings. The catalytic converter is partially blocked up. My gearshifter was replaced in the first year for chrome chipping off the top. The current one needed the top superglued back on.

The exterior look is sharp. AUX jack, Battery in trunk, Audio system is good quality, Great MPG, Lots of trunk space, not too bad in the snow for FWD.

I've lost faith in GM. I believe the parts and quality have declined. These cars are just not built to last - very disposable. Not good for someone, like me, who puts 20,000 miles on a car each year.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review