Used 2006 Saturn ION Sedan Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Saturn ION Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2006 Saturn ION Sedan

View reviews for a specific ION model:

Saturn = Chevy = Junk
By doc4bax

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I used to have a older Saturn and it held up well. I figured I would find one for my son to drive back and forth to school. I found one, bought it and it had a host of issues. This vehicle is notorious for front end suspension failure. First to go are the front sway bar end links and the sway bar bushings. They are poorly made and wear out prematurely. You hear that clunking noise going over bumps? If so you have this problem. Another problem is the front control arm bushings which are known for failure. Another clunking noise under your feet? You might want to take a look. Another issue, the plastic fuel tank is known to crack at the top where the plastic lines enter the fuel pump (which is in the fuel tank). That wiff of fuel you smell at the back of the vehicle? That means get your wallet out. Fortunately for me, there was a special warranty that I qualified for and GM took care of it. I just made it under the time length (expires 8 years from manufacture date). This is not a cheap fix. They had to replace the tank, fuel pump and hoses plus labor. Also, their is a problem with the shifter. The shifter looses the ability to talk to the ignition switch. When you put the car in park the key will not release from the ignition switch. This leaves the ignition stuck in the accessory position and drains your battery if left there. Fortunately this was covered under recall and it wasn't a cheap fix. Another recall is the actual ignition switch which I had done. the rear shocks wear out prematurely. This car bounced like a clone car when I first got it. This a $50 fix if you do it yourself. Lastly, the electric actuator that recirculates the air from inside or outside the vehicle goes bad. The gears shear off that turn the recirculation door. This actuator is located way up inside the dash. Dealer estimates around $600 plus to replace it as the dash has to completely come off to get to it. I was able to do this myself with minimal dash removal but it was an absolute nightmare and took all day to do. Relatively cheap part but a lot in labor costs to install.

SATURN
By walter

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, i have 200k miles still goin strong and looks good doin it!!! It is a car way ahead of its time!!

Avoid at all cost!
By Morgan Reid

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

When it works, it's an easy ride. It only works about 10% of the time. It's in and out of the shop for various reasons. The car is aging of course, but the miles are still low in comparison to the year it was built. The recalls have fixed some of the issues, but new ones seem to arise out of the blue. At one point, my gas tank began pouring gas all over the roadway. When I realized, I had it towed to the mechanic who found that nothing had penetrated the tank, but the seal had worn. It's truly a lemon.

Stereo system Mpg

Never produce another car like it

Good Commuter Car
By epic_sandwich

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my '06 Ion for 4 years, purchased used from a Saturn dealer with 22k on the clock. It just passed 80k the other day and thus far has been a good car. Average 33mpg, over 40 on trips. Issues thus far: AC compressor failed (replaced under warranty), power steering motor failed (out of warranty, dealer wanted $1300 to fix, I bought a used ps motor off eBay and did it myself for $80 bucks), ignition module failure (twice, $82 part at AutoZone), and now the front right wheel has a bad bearing and is causing excessive road noise. Most of the problems are easy and quick to fix, no car is 100% failure proof and I think this car is a good trade-off. People have unrealistic expectations.

Easy to work on, easy to fix, most repair shops can fix it easily and quickly or you can try it yourself with a workshop manual. Excellent fuel economy in the city (33mpg in mix hwy/city commute, record was 48mpg on a road trip), funky gauge cluster is fun, large trunk for it's size, cheap to buy, maintain, and insure, plastic body panels mean no dings! An excellent college/commuter car, nothing special.

Shifter is "notchy" and difficult to shift when cold, extremely vague/numb steering feedback, suspension is soft but doesn't soak up bumps, excessive road noise, cheap interior, limited back seat room, not much interior storage compartments.

Beware: Horrible Car!!!
By gibbys1

2006 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My 2006 Saturn Ion has been nothing but a money pit.
Sure the first couple years were great...no problems.
Then, the issues started.
My car now has 59,000 miles on it and I have had to replace the track in the driver's door because my window actually fell down into the door and wouldn't come back up.
It has no A/C because no one can figure out what's wrong with it.
I have also had to replace the brakes numerous times, replaced sensors because the lights would stay on (the car thought the doors weren't shut) and now I have an issue where the car doesn't want to start on cold mornings.
This car just is not worth it anymore.
I'm frustrated, poor and just can't take much more!!!

It does have features I like. It's comfortable. It has enough room for the family. I like the traction control. It's great in the snow.

It was made poorly. A new car is my only option.