Used 2006 Saturn ION Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Avoid at all cost!
By Morgan Reid on 03/13/15 13:56 PM (PDT)

2006 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

When it works, it's an easy ride. It only works about 10% of the time. It's in and out of the shop for various reasons. The car is aging of course, but the miles are still low in comparison to the year it was built. The recalls have fixed some of the issues, but new ones seem to arise out of the blue. At one point, my gas tank began pouring gas all over the roadway. When I realized, I had it towed to the mechanic who found that nothing had penetrated the tank, but the seal had worn. It's truly a lemon.

Have an '06 Quad coupe.........
By dartyvagrant on 11/13/14 12:54 PM (PST)

2006 Saturn ION 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This has been a fairly good vehicle. The anti-theft system is always a 'cloud over our heads'. Never know when it's going to engage and have to be reset. Wife driving-39-41 MPG, my driving at 80-85 MPH down to 32 MPG. The rear suspension is a joke! The same beam axle as the Citation of years ago. NOT independant rear suspension, ride in cramped rear seat not good. Front seats A-OK. A Chevrolet Cobalt in drag, and more money. The local Chevrolet dealer has performed all the campaigns (ign switch, power steering motor).

Good Commuter Car
By epic_sandwich on 01/01/12 10:51 AM (PST)

2006 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my '06 Ion for 4 years, purchased used from a Saturn dealer with 22k on the clock. It just passed 80k the other day and thus far has been a good car. Average 33mpg, over 40 on trips. Issues thus far: AC compressor failed (replaced under warranty), power steering motor failed (out of warranty, dealer wanted $1300 to fix, I bought a used ps motor off eBay and did it myself for $80 bucks), ignition module failure (twice, $82 part at AutoZone), and now the front right wheel has a bad bearing and is causing excessive road noise. Most of the problems are easy and quick to fix, no car is 100% failure proof and I think this car is a good trade-off. People have unrealistic expectations.

Beware: Horrible Car!!!
By gibbys1 on 12/29/11 06:30 AM (PST)

2006 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My 2006 Saturn Ion has been nothing but a money pit. Sure the first couple years were great...no problems. Then, the issues started. My car now has 59,000 miles on it and I have had to replace the track in the driver's door because my window actually fell down into the door and wouldn't come back up. It has no A/C because no one can figure out what's wrong with it. I have also had to replace the brakes numerous times, replaced sensors because the lights would stay on (the car thought the doors weren't shut) and now I have an issue where the car doesn't want to start on cold mornings. This car just is not worth it anymore. I'm frustrated, poor and just can't take much more!!!

i love this car
By ucantcme0220 on 04/17/11 19:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

i got my saturn about 7 months ago it had 116k miles on it and now its got 127k miles and runs absolutely great.. it gets around 21 on city and 32 on the highway which i get combined 29-30ish which aint bad.. the only thing i had to replace was the powersteering motor.. it had a little leak from the rain once but a lil silicone fixed the problem.. I also put a custom exhaust on it which sounds awesome.. overall this car is great i love this car..

HAPPY WITH CAR, BUT...
By squeegie on 03/15/11 10:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2006 Saturn ION 3 with 5 sp manual transmission back in Aug 2010. I love the car when there are no problems, but boy, when there are problems, there are problems! I had to replace the ignition switch 'cos of a bad sensor. The PassLock system wouldn't let me start the car because of this. It "thought" the car was being stolen so the engine wouldn't start. 2 days ago, the power steering light came on & I lost my power steering. The book said to take it to the dealer, so I did. That is when I found out that there is a recall from GM. Fortunately, my car has less than 100k miles, so the price of the repair was covered under the recall.

Really Happy!
By branman102 on 01/03/11 16:16 PM (PST)

2006 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Might as well start with the problems. AC compressor went, but was under warranty, the alarm is activated in cold weather due to thick lubricant in the ignition cylendar (common problem) and the clutch that is auto adjusting is set too close to the floor for my liking. Now the good stuff. Good looking car. Better looking than the comperable Japanese models in my opinion. Good gas mileage. I upgraded my plugs, keep it well maintained, use Lucas products, adjusted my driving habits and get about 20% better mileage than the EPA rating. Comfortable with plenty of room in the back for my kids. Lots of trunk room. Lot's of pep in the city and on the highway when you need it.

Terrible Car
By JC on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The transmission started shifting hard. Took it to a transmission shop and had it looked at, was told every- thing seemed ok. It got worse. Months later, took the car to a different transmission shop, I was told it felt like it was skipping from first to third gear. When taking off, the car stays in first gear and you have to take your foot off the pedal to let it shift into second gear.took it to a Saturn dealer, told the transmission might be going out and it would cost $3,000.00 to fix it. was told to just drive the car until it went completely out instead of spending that kind of money. Now when you put the car in gear, all the interior and exterior lights flicker. fuses are fine. stuck!

Common problems shouldn't be "common"
By torianne9 on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Saturn ION 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car about a year and a half ago. It was a leased car and it had 20,000 miles. I now have just over 55,000 miles and I've already had the "common" door sensor problem, which wasn't cheap to fix, where my interior lights wouldn't turn off because my car didn't know that the door was shut and today I had my power steering replaced per warranty coverage. The problems that Saturn has "commonly" shouldn't be common problems. I read online that the power steering problem has cost 14 lives already. And the door sensor is extremely inconvenient. I love my car but I truly hate the "typical" problems that come with it.

What Next?
By Neveragain on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2006 and loved it at first. Then one night during a rain storm my car alarm went off for no reason. The next day I found the foam seal along the top of both doors is badly weathered and rain water runs in along the door panels and puddles on the floor. With 20,000 miles the front struts are shot and just yesterday my key became stuck in the ignition while the car is running. Likely the ignition cylinder will need to be replaced (from the looks of it this is a huge big with the ION). And who will have to pay for it all? My guess is GM will bail on that as well. So here I sit with a car that leaks every time it rains, bad suspension,and a junk ignition cylinder.