Used 2006 Saturn ION Consumer Reviews - 152 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

2006 Saturn ION

View reviews for a specific ION model:

Started every day, outdoors, in Twin Cities winter
By Tommy Boye

2006 Saturn ION 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

hard to get into and out of.

Saturn = Chevy = Junk
By doc4bax

2006 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I used to have a older Saturn and it held up well. I figured I would find one for my son to drive back and forth to school. I found one, bought it and it had a host of issues. This vehicle is notorious for front end suspension failure. First to go are the front sway bar end links and the sway bar bushings. They are poorly made and wear out prematurely. You hear that clunking noise going over bumps? If so you have this problem. Another problem is the front control arm bushings which are known for failure. Another clunking noise under your feet? You might want to take a look. Another issue, the plastic fuel tank is known to crack at the top where the plastic lines enter the fuel pump (which is in the fuel tank). That wiff of fuel you smell at the back of the vehicle? That means get your wallet out. Fortunately for me, there was a special warranty that I qualified for and GM took care of it. I just made it under the time length (expires 8 years from manufacture date). This is not a cheap fix. They had to replace the tank, fuel pump and hoses plus labor. Also, their is a problem with the shifter. The shifter looses the ability to talk to the ignition switch. When you put the car in park the key will not release from the ignition switch. This leaves the ignition stuck in the accessory position and drains your battery if left there. Fortunately this was covered under recall and it wasn't a cheap fix. Another recall is the actual ignition switch which I had done. the rear shocks wear out prematurely. This car bounced like a clone car when I first got it. This a $50 fix if you do it yourself. Lastly, the electric actuator that recirculates the air from inside or outside the vehicle goes bad. The gears shear off that turn the recirculation door. This actuator is located way up inside the dash. Dealer estimates around $600 plus to replace it as the dash has to completely come off to get to it. I was able to do this myself with minimal dash removal but it was an absolute nightmare and took all day to do. Relatively cheap part but a lot in labor costs to install.

300,000 miles!!!
By Hilary

2006 Saturn ION 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has lasted me so long still in fantastic condition. No major problems at all. Drives smooth, gas milage is amazing. I live in Michigan and it has got me through some tough winters too! I would recommend this car to anyone. I got it at a great price with only one prior owner. Just keep up on regular oil changes and such and this car could last you a lifetime

SATURN
By walter

2006 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, i have 200k miles still goin strong and looks good doin it!!! It is a car way ahead of its time!!

Avoid at all cost!
By Morgan Reid

2006 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

When it works, it's an easy ride. It only works about 10% of the time. It's in and out of the shop for various reasons. The car is aging of course, but the miles are still low in comparison to the year it was built. The recalls have fixed some of the issues, but new ones seem to arise out of the blue. At one point, my gas tank began pouring gas all over the roadway. When I realized, I had it towed to the mechanic who found that nothing had penetrated the tank, but the seal had worn. It's truly a lemon.

Stereo system Mpg

Never produce another car like it