2005 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Best Kept Secret In The Industry
By Dweezil on 08/24/07 06:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The car has proven itself over 22,000 miles with gas mileage on long trips of nearly 38 [with automatic. 25-26 in Los Angeles traffic], quiet ride and it's all around competence. Huge trunk and tight turning radius are benefits as well. Recent 2000 mile round trip offered sea level to mountain elevations, dry, hot weather, wind, snow and freezing temps, varying levels of traffic from insane to sparse and the car handled it all without a hitch. See for yourself. Edmund's editors give it a 5.7. Consumers give it an 8.9. The consumers have it right.

Underrated Surprise
By dweezil on 08/13/07 06:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have had this ION 1 for 2 and a half years. It now has 21,000 miles on it. It took awhile to warm up to it, but on a recent 2000 mile trip from LA to Tucson to Salt Lake, in heat, freezing cold, snow and mountain climbing activity. it handled everything thrown at it and still returned 35-37.7 mpg.I have tracked the mileage since the first tank.It's only gotten better as the miles increase. This car has all the makings of a 20 year car: bullet proof engine and trans, polymer dent and rust avoiding polymer panels and upholstery that looks like it will wear like burlap.

Amazing
By DavePlaysDrums on 05/23/07 00:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Quad Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

Added the Stage II performance kit. Highly recommended. Well worth the money. This car performs comparable to the RX-8 (the other choice with the 'quad' door configuration) but is more practical as a daily driver. 48,000 miles and still love it every time I get in!

Big Disappointment
By Frustrated on 05/15/07 04:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has had more issues than I can remember. Purchased new, now 30K miles. Manual transmission with many problems. Hesitates when accelerator is engaged. Stalls frequently when first started each day. Saturn mechanic even admitted to me that the 2005 ION is one of the worst cars Saturn has made and repairs are more frequent on this model. Won't buy from Saturn again.

My first FWD car.
By PCPhil on 04/26/07 07:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Quad Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

Love the punch it has when you get on it. Love the suicide doors. Better to get in and out than a Cobolt. Nice to see the GM Performance Division logo in the engine comparment because I am from a Chevy family. Impressive turning with minimal body roll. Will need to upgrade tires once I rip the rest of the tread of the factory Dunlops. Nice placement of the battery in the trunk for when I add upgraded stereo components. Nice rear wing, not the bigger gaudy one like the rest of the imports. Enjoy going for a drive and not worry about burning so much gas like my 5.7L Silverado.

It started out good.
By Amanda on 04/20/07 14:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my vehicle. It has been a decent car. In the past two weeks I have begun to have issues with the ignition. This is something that is suppose to be common with this vehicle year and model. Per the dealership and corporate this is something easily fixed. So far the ignition cylinder housing unit has been replace twice and the ignition switch once. It appears I have purchased a lemon. It has been a good car up until this point. Saturn has also been kind enought to point out that there will be no further ION models after the '07 year.

Mechanics nightmare
By Three Saturn owner on 02/10/07 05:39 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My 2005 Saturn ION is poorly designed. Hood pops open easily because hood latch is on the floor near my left foot. During cold weather the engine starts fine but after a few miles of driving it begins to race. If I put it in Park the RPMs stay at about 2000. I must shut the car off then restart to get the RPMs down to the normal 600-700. Saturn has looked at it numerous times but cannot find the problem. Also during high humidity the turn signals unexpectantly stop working on the front along w/ the daytime lights. This is my final Saturn. I love my 97- 5 speed SL1 with 215000 miles on it. My 2000 L-series came from the dealer without rear wheels being aligned.

My '05 Saturn Ion 2 experience
By Wonger on 02/03/07 12:34 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've made several trips to and from Michigan to San Diego and back. Gas mileage was 30+, however, the seating arrangement is awful and you will feel it on long trips. Very dependable and good value for the money. Only 2 problems occured that required warranty work that being bolts breaking off for the driver window and driver-side back window (both seperate occasions). Engine light has came on 2 times also, and was quickly extinguished on next fill ups of good quality gasonline. Very nice handling through snow and rain, but is hard to control at times in windy enviroments. The center dash is awesome as you dont have to look through the steering wheel to see how fast you are going.Roomy trunk

Good Value
By Breech on 01/01/07 16:39 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Quad Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

Good performance for the price. Could be faster but poor transmission gearing and low rev limiter hold it back. Not a great car to tune or run at the strip. More of a jack of all trades, master of none type. Typical poor interior quality from GM. Handling and ride quality are good, not too harsh for a daily driver but not totally peformance oriented either. Have had some electrical gremlins and check engine light illuminates from use of aftermarket K&N air intake. Brakes are excellent although the stock rotors warp easily. Overall a decent little car with good perfomance, safety, and the ability to be used as a family car in everyday life. Not disappointed but not sure if I'd buy again.

I love my ION Red Line
By XXAGILEXX on 11/19/06 02:20 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Quad Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I have had my Red Line for a lil over a year now. I love it! As a matter of fact my best friend took me to the dealer to buy it and ended up buying the same car. His black, mine red. He didn't believe me about it until he walked in and saw the car, and he asked " What is that, because I like it." So we got the last two on the lot for a steal because the '06's were pushing. He wanted a Mazda6, but forgot all about that when he got in the Red Line. I can't wait till I get back home from Iraq to drive it again. Spc. Ismael Maneiro JR US Army, Bagdad Iraq