Used 2005 Saturn ION Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saturn Ion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:

Never Again
By Wilson

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had nothing but problems, security system wont always let me start the car, had to replace the wheel bareings @ 50000km's, engine light comes on and off for a misfire, but mechanics can find nothing wrong with it, something wrong with the front end that makes my abs kick in, but again, mechanics cant find anything. Had to have a bushing replaced on it...not a good car

Favorite Features

have the gauges in the center

Great small car
By satisfiedsaturnowner

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have had the car for almost a year now, and still love it. I have had no mechanical problems to date with it. Keep in mind it is a Saturn and will have its occasional pops and squeaks from all the plastic. Most of the noise is coming from the rear quad door, the top molding comes loose towards the rear of the door, but is easily popped back into place. It seems most of the reviewers have a problem with passlock, from experience on Saturn forums it appears this only happens in extremely cold conditions.

Favorite Features

Rear quad doors (the car gets a lot of compliments on them). Large trunk space. Striking exterior styling, Excellent gas mileage. Many parts are shared with Cobalts and other small GM vehicles

Suggested Improvements

Could use some improvement in power. Rear disk brakes would be nice.

Lemon of all vehicles
By sandi

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2005 Saturn in Mid 2005. I had a 1996 for almost 10 years and loved it. This 2005 ION is a piece of junk. I have almost been killed three times driving this car, once was on I-95. You can start the car, but don't leave the house because after a mile or so the car stops dead, leaving you without power or brakes. You have to wait from 10 to 20 minutes to get it started again, and then pray it does not stall again. Apparently the computer in the car is defective. However, it takes them several tries to determine this defect. Had they determined it back in 2006, I would have sent this car packing back to the manufacturer under the lemon law here in Florida. Don't buy one!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Recall them all and replace the crummy computer that turns your car off and almost causes a collision. They are dangerous.

Another unsatisfied owner
By stranded in Il.

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car new in 2005 because it was relatively inexpensive compared to other makes and I put high miles annually so the new car warranty is desired. Soon found a significant problem, the ignition switch failure in cold weather within a year. Makes vehicle act as if battery is drained. Saturn replaced ignition once under warranty, but it is doing it again. They are well aware of the defective part by their own admission. This will be twice in a bit over three years and they claim "it is not a faulty part". I will never consider another Saturn after dealing with this poor design and manufacture denial. Beware.

Favorite Features

Decent gas mileage when/if it starts.

Suggested Improvements

Tilt steering is rather insignificant in entering ease. Wheel moves very little upward making it difficult for taller drivers. Power windows frequently fail to work under colder temps.

No problems yet
By callahan

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my ion almost three years ago with 22k miles on it. I've driven it every single day since then and have not had one single problem with it. the only time a mechanic touched it was to change the oil. its my first saturn and i have no reason to not buy another, my only complaint is that the suspension feels like its getting kinda mushy. Likes it's not as tight as it was when i bought it.

Favorite Features

Lots of space, good gas mileage, durable, I've taken this car down all kinds of unimproved roads with no issues. It's my off road sedan!

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a turbo or some nitrous, or how about a v8?