2005 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Fun and efficient!
By Hi-Gloss on 11/07/08 10:05 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Ion used, mainly for the gas mileage since I drive about 2500 miles a month. It doesn't disappoint, averaging 30 (mostly highway driving). Styling is a little quirky, but it works. The rear doors on the coupe are a big plus! I've had no problems with the car; build quality is better than I expected from Saturn. It's quieter and better handling than most cars of its size, and comfort is about equal although the steering wheel is too far a reach. I sell cars for a living, and had my choice of several comparable cars. I'm happy I chose the Ion.

I will never buy another Saturn
By michelle315 on 10/08/08 08:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but problems with this car. I bought it new and have owned it for three years now. It has had three transmissions replaced. The first two were in the first year of ownership. It recently had the bushings replaced in the front control arm. I picked it up from the dealer, drove it less than 30 miles, when the control arm came loose and fell onto the rim of my tire. The mechanic did not tighten the pinch bolt after servicing. I am glad I was only traveling about 30MPH or I would have had a major accident, loosing all control of the steering. It felt like the whole bottom of my car hit the pavement!! I can't wait to trade this piece in, and will never buy another Saturn again

Worst car ever owned
By von on 10/08/08 07:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had more problems with this car than any other. It has been in the shop too many times to count. I now could swim inside my car it's leaking soo bad, yet Saturn is telling me it's not there problem. This problem, along with many others that I'm having with the vehicle are listed on what I'm being told is recalls. Saturn of course is telling me there is no recalls. 2005 was the worst year they had with this vehicle so I find it hard to believe there is no recalls. I have many other problems but too many to list. I have owned a Saturn in the past and loved it which is why I bought another one, but I will never buy one again.

My Last Saturn
By sfr on 09/27/08 19:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second and last Saturn vehicle. The ignition has been replaced three times in three years and is ready for a fourth replacement. I've now developed a new problem where the power steering randomly cuts out but comes back if you turn the vehicle off and on again. I liked my first Saturn. The gas mileage is good - but there is a serious design flaw in the steering column architecture.

Ion 3, fingers crossed
By Craig on 08/15/08 09:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it used at 29k now with 34k. Security system shut car down and I had to wait a little bit. I like the car a lot and have a lot of compliments on it. My best city mileage is 26mpg .

Plenty of little problems.
By Jim on 07/25/08 15:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car with 30,000 miles. Soon realized that it had a temperature sensitive drive ability problem, bucks violently at low speeds cool temps. Caused premature wear on clutch with first owner, I have babied it for 36,000 miles, needs new clutch. Dealer could not figure out problem, says it's the clutch. Said maybe they could figure it out when it got bad enough. It's time to find out, and bet them a clutch that it's the engine. Suspension is very noisy and sloppy when cold, you can feel the engine shifting back and forth on corners when cold, the clutch pedal creaks and feels rough at the release point. Mirror can't be adjusted to match seat position when adjusted to my 5'9" frame.

my ownership
By frederick le vitre on 04/27/08 12:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i found the ion to be one of the finest road cars i have ever driven. it handles extremly well at higher speeds and in all weather conditions. i am seriously thinking of purchasing at lease end even though i miss having cruise control.

Buy at your own risk
By Suzanne on 04/22/08 07:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

In the past three years, my car has been in the shop 11 times. Each time for a different reason. The following things have been addressed: driver window leakage, gas pedal module, 4 valves replaced at 40k which then leaked oil, multiple electrical issues, driver visor, computer reprogramming- twice, emission control sensor replaced. There are more issues that I don't care to list at this time. This car has a cheap plastic feel all around, and the seats were uncomfortable. I do not suggest that anyone buy a car of this type.

BAD PLASTIC CAR!
By cs15 on 02/21/08 18:00 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Saturn ION Level 2 a little over a year ago, and about 6 months after owning it, every time I turned around, something else was going wrong with it. The engine bucking, clicking noises when driving, road noise, crappy cd/radio, doors unable to shut after being opened, broken hood latch...did I mention EVERYTHING in this car seems to be made of plastic except for the engine? I will NEVER buy another Saturn again.

Still surprises me everyday
By RL-2005 on 11/05/07 08:43 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Quad Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I've had this car for two years and it still puts a smile on my face to drive it 40 miles to work everyday. GM had the injector and pulley kit and catback exhaust that made the car even better for very low cost. I love having a fast, reliable car that handles great and did not break the bank. GM should make all their cars like this one. I may have to upgrade to the turbo Cobalt SS next year.