Used 2005 Saturn ION 2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:

My '05 Saturn Ion 2 experience
By Wonger

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've made several trips to and from Michigan to San Diego and back. Gas mileage was 30+, however, the seating arrangement is awful and you will feel it on long trips. Very dependable and good value for the money. Only 2 problems occured that required warranty work that being bolts breaking off for the driver window and driver-side back window (both seperate occasions). Engine light has came on 2 times also, and was quickly extinguished on next fill ups of good quality gasonline. Very nice handling through snow and rain, but is hard to control at times in windy enviroments. The center dash is awesome as you dont have to look through the steering wheel to see how fast you are going.Roomy trunk

Gas mileage is awesome for the retail price of one of these. The center dash display is easily seen. Pass-lock theft detterant is a plus. 5yr/60k warranty is a good deal in itself too, and no major tune up for 100,000 miles (plugs and stuff).

Saturn needs to do something with the seats. Long trips are extremely uncomfortable and wear very easily. I put seat covers on mine after one of my long trips across the country.

Good solid transportation
By Stephen Plott

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second review now that my ION 2 has 17,000 miles. It is 5 speed manual and I'm now getting 37 mpg by upshifting at 2000 rpm and keeping top speed to 70 mph. Really enjoy the smooth ride, relatively quiet engine since '05 have better insulation and great sound system with the extra speakers & amp. Safety is good since we got the side air bags and it already rates high for front impact protection. Only beef was problem with cruise control that did not want to work. They diagnosed (took too long) and is working fine for past year. Front seats are reasonably comfortable for long trips. All in all a very good value.

Smooth ride, excellent gas mileage, sure handling, relatively quiet, plenty of power when needed, trunk is roomy for a small car, nice sound system with extra speakers and amp. I really like the instrument package in the center of the dash up higher. I find it much less distracting to glance down.

Manual gear box can be stiff when the ambient temperature is low.

You get what you pay for
By city girl

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a cute car for a teenager. It is not made for the highway! When on the highway it swirls a bit because the car is so light weight. When it is a windy day outside, the car swirls because it cannot handle the wind. This car is too light weight, but other than that I do not have too many problems with it. I also have a problem with the defrost. The windows get foggy as soon as you turn the car on.

I like the middle dash, I think it is cool and different and you can better visibility.

The seats need to be improved, they get easily stained and they are uncomfortable. The car needs to be heavier to handle wind and other weather.

Best for the money
By LovetheSat

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I now have 12,000+ miles on it after 16 months of ownership. I have had one problem, the cruise control malfunction after a couple months and Saturn fixed it and no problems since. It is fun to drive, handles nimbly. Fuel milage is determined how you drive it, go quick and fast, 28 MPG, take it easy, 30+ MPG. I have had no problems except the cruise control and the Saturn Dealer has been the greatest in normal checkups. For the money, the ION 2 has been worth every cent and I will stick with the Saturn for many years to come and plan to replace it with another Saturn. I am very satisfied with the dealer and the car.

The timing chain is one of the main reason I wanted the Saturn. My other cars with the timing belt would cost me $300+ to replace after 60,000 miles.

Leg room for rear seats passengers.

I say, I say "Saturn"
By Jim Miller

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I took my 1994 Saturn SL2 to 200,000 miles with less that $150 in non-maintenance type repairs. My new ION 2 seems to be even better engineered and cost $1,500 less than my SL2 over 11 years ago. The dash configuration does take some getting used to but is far superior than the old one. The exterior has a classy look to it, stacking up very well in the parking lot to sedans with much higher sticker prices. This is our family's third new Saturn and definitely not the last.

The manual transmission shifter is quirky looking and the dash has a very modern style as well.

My SL2 allowed the back seats to split 60/40 from the inside of the car via straps that sat at the edges. The new ION requires levers in the trunk to be pulled. The old way was handy when a rear passenger needed something stored at the front of the trunk, such as a small piece of luggage.