2005 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Never Again
By Wilson on 03/21/09 06:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had nothing but problems, security system wont always let me start the car, had to replace the wheel bareings @ 50000km's, engine light comes on and off for a misfire, but mechanics can find nothing wrong with it, something wrong with the front end that makes my abs kick in, but again, mechanics cant find anything. Had to have a bushing replaced on it...not a good car

Great small car
By satisfiedsaturnowner on 01/25/09 20:46 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have had the car for almost a year now, and still love it. I have had no mechanical problems to date with it. Keep in mind it is a Saturn and will have its occasional pops and squeaks from all the plastic. Most of the noise is coming from the rear quad door, the top molding comes loose towards the rear of the door, but is easily popped back into place. It seems most of the reviewers have a problem with passlock, from experience on Saturn forums it appears this only happens in extremely cold conditions.

Lemon of all vehicles
By sandi on 01/24/09 11:20 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2005 Saturn in Mid 2005. I had a 1996 for almost 10 years and loved it. This 2005 ION is a piece of junk. I have almost been killed three times driving this car, once was on I-95. You can start the car, but don't leave the house because after a mile or so the car stops dead, leaving you without power or brakes. You have to wait from 10 to 20 minutes to get it started again, and then pray it does not stall again. Apparently the computer in the car is defective. However, it takes them several tries to determine this defect. Had they determined it back in 2006, I would have sent this car packing back to the manufacturer under the lemon law here in Florida. Don't buy one!

Another unsatisfied owner
By stranded in Il. on 01/19/09 09:44 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought car new in 2005 because it was relatively inexpensive compared to other makes and I put high miles annually so the new car warranty is desired. Soon found a significant problem, the ignition switch failure in cold weather within a year. Makes vehicle act as if battery is drained. Saturn replaced ignition once under warranty, but it is doing it again. They are well aware of the defective part by their own admission. This will be twice in a bit over three years and they claim "it is not a faulty part". I will never consider another Saturn after dealing with this poor design and manufacture denial. Beware.

No problems yet
By callahan on 01/15/09 20:51 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my ion almost three years ago with 22k miles on it. I've driven it every single day since then and have not had one single problem with it. the only time a mechanic touched it was to change the oil. its my first saturn and i have no reason to not buy another, my only complaint is that the suspension feels like its getting kinda mushy. Likes it's not as tight as it was when i bought it.

Warm weather only!
By Catt on 01/14/09 10:16 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Aside from the plastic construction, & non-ergonomic interior, I can only recommend this car to be owned in warm climates. From my experience, once the temps fall to freezing, the anti-theft system in the steering column freezes, the engine is incapacitate & you are stranded. I have to carry a small electric heater & a very long extension cord with me & insure I park near an outside outlet. Getting rid of it as soon as possible, & I will never buy another. Saturn denies there is any problem with the anti-theft & will not remove it.

Last Saturn I buy
By Carolyn on 01/05/09 11:31 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Had a '94 SC1 and a '02 SC2 with no problems. Purchased ION 2 new in September 2005 as a leftover. Was great for the first few weeks, then a drain tube for the sunroof came undone & leaked thru healiner; dealer replaced carpet and headliner. Passlock anti- theft system froze repeatedly (preventing the car from starting for 20 minutes at a time) until replaced at 20k. Changed coil pack under warranty and now another I'll have to pay for at 50k miles. Have had computer code P0300- Random Misfire almost monthly since the warrantee expired, but no mechanic finds a problem. Seats are uncomfortable, dash rattles, rear door molding won't stay on ever. Poor quality to say the least.

You get what ya paid for
By Caligirl on 12/11/08 15:34 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car with 50K for $7K. I really got my money's worth which wasn't much. The right headlight refuses to work, it runs hard, the engine can't take going 70 mph, and the whole car seems to be made of cheap, cheap plastic. To top it off, my engine light turns on then after a few hours to a day it turns off by itself. And no one can figure out why it does that! Buy this car if you want a cheap compact gas saver.

Ion-1
By Jason on 12/06/08 19:54 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in May 2005 and had one problem with the transmission but haven't had any other problems since. I'm up to 47,000 miles now. A decent car overall. I average 32mpg driving conservatively and about 27mpg with no regard to fuel efficiency driving. The car has some zip if you need it. Nice thing about the plastic panels is that the car looks the same as I bought it new and I rarely go to the car wash. And replacing the panels is cheap if I have to.

Pathetic Car
By SamT on 11/29/08 15:32 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I had to get rid of my ION at 48,000 miles due to it needing more in repairs than the car was worth. At 48,000 miles, my transmission died due to a factory defect. SInce my car was out of warranty, Saturn wouldn't fix it for free. In addition to my blown transmission, I also needed a whole new valve body. The cost of the transmission and valve body was more than the car was worth. I'm not a car expert but I know enough to know that cars shouldn't be done for before they reach 50,000 miles. My ION had other problems too, such as a faulty ignition starter that wouldn't always let me remove the key. Saturn wouldn't fix the problem or admit there was one. Terrible car, terrible company. Beware!