Used 2005 Saturn ION Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:

Worst Car I've ever bought
By ION "Worst Car"

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Saturn Ion3 is the worst car I have ever owned, I currently owe $7000.00 on the car and its engine is shot along with the rear main seal multiple attempts to fix the sunroof, drivers window, IGNITION (3times), HORRIBLE gas mileage and the worst customer service from GM ever. I wouldn't not recommend this car to my worst enemy!!! Sincerely Monica-

NONE

JUST DON'T SELL a car that's a piece of CRAP to people!

Think twice about an ION!
By Jamie M.

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Got my Ion in 05. I would say this car has good performance, only that would be when it wants to. After having the car for 13 months I began to have troubles with getting my keys out of ignition. This would drain my battery. I took it to saturn they said there is no problem. I accepted that and kept the car. Now I find out after replacing the battery multiple times (which they r expensive batteries) that this is a common problem. My car stalls on me and will not restart for about 15-20 minutes--during which time it is draining my battery. I am so disgusted with this car. Prior to this I drove a 2000 Saturn Coupe..Loved it! My opinion of Saturn has changed for the worse with this car!!!

spacious for a small car. Good on gas. when working properly good performance. nice exterior. huge trunk for a small car.

Ignition!! Battery! After reading so many people with the same complaint Im outraged there has not been a recall. It is dangerous to drive a car not knowing whether or not today will be the day it stalls in an intersection or on the highway! Plastic interior paint chips easily. Not for tall drivers.

gotta give it credit
By nathan

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

i'v gotta give this car good props i picked it up for $5,500 and didnt like it one bit after driving it for awhile it grew on me i,v never had any problems with any saturn i,v ever owned (3) and my ion is no exception the dealer told me about common problems with ions and i have not had one off them happen to me i,v grown to really like my ion and have put 18 inch wheels on it and it does look good i,m happy i bought this car its no jewl but for the money my saturn ion was a great deal and a great car

gas mileage, trunk space, dent resistant side panels and it looks good

interior the cloth seats are a let down i,m not kidding when i say water will stain your seats but for the money i really cant complain

not a happy camper
By Samantha

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

i bought this ion from a friend, in which i just bought it before winter came, had the car not start for me. called the dealership and they were very helpful, replaced the ignition switch. all seemed fine and dandy, due to the nice weather showed up again. march/April of this year, i installed command start, guess what, got cold out car would not start. u buy a command start for this purpose or am i not correct on that lol. they replaced the bcm *body control module* and so far so good, hasn't stranded me yet. i live in Saskatchewan Canada, so ya, we go from plus 30 to minus 10 in 24 hrs.

the dash, its not right in front of my face, and the distraction is not there, speakers are pretty good, can get a lot of bass out of them. lots of truck space, small but bigger car.

the anti theft, get rid of it, or find out a way to by pass the whole stupid system so that it doesn't strand anyone else, especially if u have an emergency at hand. what is the point of it anyways? if someone steals ur radio, ur car wont start, where does that help the owner?

Not Bad, Not Great..
By HeadAche

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in the summer of 05, has been a really fun and good reliable car to drive until the winter of 07. Seemed like the whole car was falling apart at only 15,000 miles! Strut mounts went, but on most low end cars like the ion they go almost every year, but I got the extended warranty which covered it, or so I thought unit Saturn said that it would cost me 400 to replace the strut mount. Also the same year the car misfired and was running on 3 cylinders, cool though the ion sounded like a Subaru sti when I drove it. More to this whole thing which I cant fit in here so I just have to say Saturn has the worst customer service I have ever encountered. Getting rid of this car soon.

Gas Mileage, Standard is fun to drive (car gets up and goes), Handles fairly well in most conditions, fun car to drive for the average person, its no super car and certainly wont turn heads, well maybe but wont get the best compliments. Gauges are easy to see. Car is sporty.

Saturn should build cars that last and also make their customers proud that they own a Saturn but it doesn't look like that would be happening anytime soon. GM shouldn't have gotten rid of Pontiac but they should have got rid of Saturn. Would have been a better choice on their part.