Used 2005 Saturn ION Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:

Still kickin, but many problems
By Pt

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Ion 3 in 6/2005 & have had the ignition replaced 3 times already, as well as the driver's window motor & wiper motor. I just brought it to Strauss for an alignment & they told me that both control arms, all bearings, and rods are shot...in a FOUR year old car!! No excuse for this. I previously owned a 93 Grand Am & the control arm only cracked due to a collision in 04. Control arms should NEVER wear out in less than 5 years! Please note also that my sister owns an '04 Saturn Ion & has had the same ignition issues. Just last week the key became stuck in the column-this, 2 months after they replaced her ignition! Def. avoiding GM if possible. No wonder they're going under!

Decent car, gets me from point A to point B...but at what cost? :(

GM should really have owned up to the hundreds of thousands of complaints about Saturn vehicles instead of just shutting down the line. That's worse than what Toyota's done. At least Toyota has the balls to issue a worldwide recall & atone for their mistakes!! Def. going w/ a foreign car next time.

Love My Saturn, sad I 2 have to replace
By Mandy

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Saturn new with 4 miles on it, it now has 140,000. Never done a thing to it except change oil, new tires and 1 battery! I live in the country and this tiny car has no problems handling the dirt roads. Great in ice and snow too! Great gas milage. Sad they won't be making Saturn anymore. With 140K its time to replace it while I have the finances to.

Comfy, handles great, great fuel economy, low maintenance. AWESOME CAR!

Wish they wouldn't stop making the brand. LOVE SATURN

Worst Car I've ever bought
By ION "Worst Car"

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Saturn Ion3 is the worst car I have ever owned, I currently owe $7000.00 on the car and its engine is shot along with the rear main seal multiple attempts to fix the sunroof, drivers window, IGNITION (3times), HORRIBLE gas mileage and the worst customer service from GM ever. I wouldn't not recommend this car to my worst enemy!!! Sincerely Monica-

NONE

JUST DON'T SELL a car that's a piece of CRAP to people!

Think twice about an ION!
By Jamie M.

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Got my Ion in 05. I would say this car has good performance, only that would be when it wants to. After having the car for 13 months I began to have troubles with getting my keys out of ignition. This would drain my battery. I took it to saturn they said there is no problem. I accepted that and kept the car. Now I find out after replacing the battery multiple times (which they r expensive batteries) that this is a common problem. My car stalls on me and will not restart for about 15-20 minutes--during which time it is draining my battery. I am so disgusted with this car. Prior to this I drove a 2000 Saturn Coupe..Loved it! My opinion of Saturn has changed for the worse with this car!!!

spacious for a small car. Good on gas. when working properly good performance. nice exterior. huge trunk for a small car.

Ignition!! Battery! After reading so many people with the same complaint Im outraged there has not been a recall. It is dangerous to drive a car not knowing whether or not today will be the day it stalls in an intersection or on the highway! Plastic interior paint chips easily. Not for tall drivers.

gotta give it credit
By nathan

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

i'v gotta give this car good props i picked it up for $5,500 and didnt like it one bit after driving it for awhile it grew on me i,v never had any problems with any saturn i,v ever owned (3) and my ion is no exception the dealer told me about common problems with ions and i have not had one off them happen to me i,v grown to really like my ion and have put 18 inch wheels on it and it does look good i,m happy i bought this car its no jewl but for the money my saturn ion was a great deal and a great car

gas mileage, trunk space, dent resistant side panels and it looks good

interior the cloth seats are a let down i,m not kidding when i say water will stain your seats but for the money i really cant complain

• SUV