2005 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Worst Car I've ever bought
By ION "Worst Car" on 11/28/09 10:10 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Saturn Ion3 is the worst car I have ever owned, I currently owe $7000.00 on the car and its engine is shot along with the rear main seal multiple attempts to fix the sunroof, drivers window, IGNITION (3times), HORRIBLE gas mileage and the worst customer service from GM ever. I wouldn't not recommend this car to my worst enemy!!! Sincerely Monica-

Think twice about an ION!
By Jamie M. on 11/08/09 16:32 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Got my Ion in 05. I would say this car has good performance, only that would be when it wants to. After having the car for 13 months I began to have troubles with getting my keys out of ignition. This would drain my battery. I took it to saturn they said there is no problem. I accepted that and kept the car. Now I find out after replacing the battery multiple times (which they r expensive batteries) that this is a common problem. My car stalls on me and will not restart for about 15-20 minutes--during which time it is draining my battery. I am so disgusted with this car. Prior to this I drove a 2000 Saturn Coupe..Loved it! My opinion of Saturn has changed for the worse with this car!!!

gotta give it credit
By nathan on 11/03/09 19:25 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

i'v gotta give this car good props i picked it up for $5,500 and didnt like it one bit after driving it for awhile it grew on me i,v never had any problems with any saturn i,v ever owned (3) and my ion is no exception the dealer told me about common problems with ions and i have not had one off them happen to me i,v grown to really like my ion and have put 18 inch wheels on it and it does look good i,m happy i bought this car its no jewl but for the money my saturn ion was a great deal and a great car

not a happy camper
By Samantha on 10/26/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

i bought this ion from a friend, in which i just bought it before winter came, had the car not start for me. called the dealership and they were very helpful, replaced the ignition switch. all seemed fine and dandy, due to the nice weather showed up again. march/April of this year, i installed command start, guess what, got cold out car would not start. u buy a command start for this purpose or am i not correct on that lol. they replaced the bcm *body control module* and so far so good, hasn't stranded me yet. i live in Saskatchewan Canada, so ya, we go from plus 30 to minus 10 in 24 hrs.

Not Bad, Not Great..
By HeadAche on 08/09/09 10:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in the summer of 05, has been a really fun and good reliable car to drive until the winter of 07. Seemed like the whole car was falling apart at only 15,000 miles! Strut mounts went, but on most low end cars like the ion they go almost every year, but I got the extended warranty which covered it, or so I thought unit Saturn said that it would cost me 400 to replace the strut mount. Also the same year the car misfired and was running on 3 cylinders, cool though the ion sounded like a Subaru sti when I drove it. More to this whole thing which I cant fit in here so I just have to say Saturn has the worst customer service I have ever encountered. Getting rid of this car soon.

I hate this car.
By Danielle on 05/06/09 16:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my very first car. The first month of driving it I loved it! But then things started going wrong. The waterproofing on the drivers side window wore down so it was extremely loud driving and water would leak in when it rained. At the same time the steering column collapsed. There is something always rattling in the back of my car and it comes loose and I have to shove it back in to place. When i have the air on, there is a buzzing noise coming from the passenger side. It seems like there is always something rattling. The seats are extremely uncomfortable and hot. It is not a very smooth ride. I am getting a new car as soon as possible. Exterior and interior are also very cheap.

very few problems- and they aren't big!
By Pretty Happy! on 05/06/09 07:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My ION has been great since the first day I drove off the lot 4 years ago. The gas mileage is great for my typical driving day, and the maintenance has been minimal- basic upkeep and tune-ups. This week was the first time I had any "problems". A few sensors had malfunctioned, causing the check engine light to turn on. I have had issues with it not letting me pull the key out from time to time, mentioned it to the service manager, and they have fixed it. Something was mis-aligned in the ignition housing. I am happy with my choice, and would be purchasing a new saturn if they still had the ION.

Will buy again !
By Phil on 04/10/09 19:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't had any problems with this car since I bought it new. I get 28 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on the freeway at 75 to 80 mph. Its real easy to change the oil and filter. In the winter this car really handles the snow, up to 10 inches no problem. Has lots of power for a small car, stomp on it from a dead start and it will break the tires loose.

I love my little machine
By Tawni on 03/31/09 21:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car with 3 miles on it and am over 54,000 and still love it to pieces. I did have a small problem with the auto theft device turning on and preventing me from driving at first but I took it to the dealer and they reset the system and I've never had a problem since. I travel a lot and this car has a lot of highway miles on it and I've never been disappointed. I do wish however that the seats had a little more lumbar support for long distance drivers especially. I love the instrument panel in the middle. It took some getting use to but I like that there is no glare in my eyes at night. The selling feature for this car was the ability to pack and transport cargo. I love it!

Fine cmpact for the money
By Phil on 03/29/09 19:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and have had zero problems with it. It now has 47,000 miles on it. The second year I owned it we took a trip to Mackinaw City in the summer and we averaged just over 35 m.p.g. with our speed being between 75 and 80 mph. This winter we went to Florida in February and got 34+ mpg. I have a automatic with the 2.2 liter engine and its very quick. I change my own oil and it is easy to do with the filter on the top side of the engine. Around town with trips under ten miles I get just over 29 mpg. The polycarbonate body panels and paint still look like new and the clear coat really shines. I like the way the seats are higher than in the SL 1. I will need new tires this summer.