Used 2005 Saturn ION Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:

Poorly Designed, Mechanically Defective
By amarri

2005 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Quad Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I have had nothing but trouble with this vehicle: 4 tow-in and 2 drive-in service calls. Check Engine light glowing steadily, fuel gauge registering zero, rough engine idle (car struggles to remain running), loss of power when operating A/C (A/C fan and headlights dimming), annoyingly squeaking seats, water leaks, and dangerously faulty gearshift knob that breaks off in hand when using. Cheap interior materials and poor instrument cluster visibility. Poor rear-view mirror visibility: many blind spots.

Aesthestically appealing looks. Fun to shift when operating at all.

Something different
By JennyJ9986

2005 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Quad Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

If you’re looking for something fun to drive, but you don’t want the cost of an RSX or the unpleasant ride of an SRT-4, then an ION Redline is the way to go. Its fraternal twin the Colbalt SS has the same engine, however the seats are not as comfortable as the Recaros and it doesn't have the two suicide doors for easy access. I like those things so I went with the ION. As far as the center console, I think it allows me to see more of the road, so really it’s just a matter of getting used to it. Plus it’s got 5 star crash test ratings, so not only is it fast, but its safe too.

The engine response when I floor it in second gear.

The blind spots in the rear of the car

Silver Red Line '05
By Bill

2005 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Quad Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

I feel that this vehicle is a well built vehicle for a Saturn and is packed with performance that takes a lot of people by suprise, which is always fun to do.

I feel that the Recaro racing seas are my favorte feature because they hug you real tight in place

I feel that the only thing that this vehicle could be improved on is the single bar suspension in the rear end which kills handling on this car because you get all that rear end wiggle and windup.

My 1st Saturn
By R & E Marin

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I had been researching on-line for a new vehicle to purchase, mostly with saftey and comfort in mind. The night before I purchased my Saturn, I read and compared them for over 2 hours on the net. Almost exactly comparable to the Volvo sedan, in every way! My experience w/ Saturn of Fayetteville was wonderful! Our salesman was very knowledgable about our purchase and they worked with us to give my husband and I the most unreally rate! I have already recomended my Saturn to several people. If you want a safe but fun ride with great gas mileage, I would recomend test driving a Saturn Ion 3.

My favorite feature is the way the front dash column is set to the side. Also the XM radio & OnStar. Mostly the comfort and saftey features that really impress me! W/ith these gas prices now....Well that's really impressive!

Red Line is fantastic
By richter

2005 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Quad Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

Everything about this vehicle screams engineering ingenuity. The engine seemed weak to me on paper, but once you get in that red line and you feel the pull of that supercharger you realize this car is faster than any Saturn should ever be. No dent panels is a plus for us less than talented driveway drivers. Loves to sip the gas but...can accept both regular and premium gas and the car (itself) adjusts to the gas after 3 tanks of it. The pedals seem kind of close but I've never driven a manual before. The shifts are crisp, the engine is responsive with no lag, and the steering is just fantastic (it's assisted electronically). This car screams SLEEPER so catch your Zzzzs

Engine performance, steering, XM radio intro, simple interior, great engineering, Recaro seats, Dunlop agressive tread tires, huge trunk, awesome stereo system. Awesome sunroof (option), really nice and pressure free sales environment. Fantastic plastic!

3rd party wheels. Wheel locks. Full racing seats. Racing steering wheel and pedals. Seperated pedals and longer clutch pedal. Clunky plastic materials. All cloth seats (please). Better colors (or just make more black red lines).