Used 2005 Saturn ION Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saturn Ion - Consumer Reviews

2005 Saturn ION

View reviews for a specific ION model:

My 1st Saturn
By R & E Marin

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I had been researching on-line for a new vehicle to purchase, mostly with saftey and comfort in mind. The night before I purchased my Saturn, I read and compared them for over 2 hours on the net. Almost exactly comparable to the Volvo sedan, in every way! My experience w/ Saturn of Fayetteville was wonderful! Our salesman was very knowledgable about our purchase and they worked with us to give my husband and I the most unreally rate! I have already recomended my Saturn to several people. If you want a safe but fun ride with great gas mileage, I would recomend test driving a Saturn Ion 3.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the way the front dash column is set to the side. Also the XM radio & OnStar. Mostly the comfort and saftey features that really impress me! W/ith these gas prices now....Well that's really impressive!

Red Line is fantastic
By richter

2005 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Quad Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)

Everything about this vehicle screams engineering ingenuity. The engine seemed weak to me on paper, but once you get in that red line and you feel the pull of that supercharger you realize this car is faster than any Saturn should ever be. No dent panels is a plus for us less than talented driveway drivers. Loves to sip the gas but...can accept both regular and premium gas and the car (itself) adjusts to the gas after 3 tanks of it. The pedals seem kind of close but I've never driven a manual before. The shifts are crisp, the engine is responsive with no lag, and the steering is just fantastic (it's assisted electronically). This car screams SLEEPER so catch your Zzzzs

Favorite Features

Engine performance, steering, XM radio intro, simple interior, great engineering, Recaro seats, Dunlop agressive tread tires, huge trunk, awesome stereo system. Awesome sunroof (option), really nice and pressure free sales environment. Fantastic plastic!

Suggested Improvements

3rd party wheels. Wheel locks. Full racing seats. Racing steering wheel and pedals. Seperated pedals and longer clutch pedal. Clunky plastic materials. All cloth seats (please). Better colors (or just make more black red lines).

I say, I say "Saturn"
By Jim Miller

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I took my 1994 Saturn SL2 to 200,000 miles with less that $150 in non-maintenance type repairs. My new ION 2 seems to be even better engineered and cost $1,500 less than my SL2 over 11 years ago. The dash configuration does take some getting used to but is far superior than the old one. The exterior has a classy look to it, stacking up very well in the parking lot to sedans with much higher sticker prices. This is our family's third new Saturn and definitely not the last.

Favorite Features

The manual transmission shifter is quirky looking and the dash has a very modern style as well.

Suggested Improvements

My SL2 allowed the back seats to split 60/40 from the inside of the car via straps that sat at the edges. The new ION requires levers in the trunk to be pulled. The old way was handy when a rear passenger needed something stored at the front of the trunk, such as a small piece of luggage.

Stormy is an amazing vechile
By L. Kelly

2005 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So far my experience with my ION has been wonderful. I have only had it for a few days but the ride over all has been great. The kids really like it to.

Favorite Features

I love the way the car handles on the road. It looks like a really cool sports car without all that expensive stuff.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing i could think of is maybe make the back seat area a little bigger. Thats all everything is great.

Great Little Car
By Jack

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

We've been looking for a car for our two new teen drivers, and after trying many used cars, we went to the Saturn dealership after our insurance agent suggested that we take a look. He told us that they are highly rated for safety, and because of the polymer panels, less costly to repair. Although there were some good deals on used models, with the current GM financial incentives, the low final cost of a new ION made it impossible to resist. Although it's small, it's also very comfortable for our 6'4" son and 5'10" daughter with lots of head, shoulder and leg room in the front. It's responsive, easy to handle, fuel efficient and quiet. Along with the safety features, it's a real find!

Favorite Features

Responsive, easy to handle, roomy in front, polymer panels won't dent, easy on fuel

Suggested Improvements

Front hood latch is tricky to open