2005 Saturn ION Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Frustrated Saturn 2005 ION2 Owner - Cold Start Issue
By mam824 on 01/06/13 14:46 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

In 2008, I had to purchase a vehicle right after I started a new job. I went to SATURN dealer, out of loyalty, (my old SATURN lasted 12 yrs). There was a car just brought in with very low mileage (12,000+) for a 2005 model. I have had my share of issues, but the cold start issue has been a thorn on my side for over two years! First it was the engine light that kept turning on, that took almost a year and two instances of my car being out of commission for weeks at a time to be resolved. GM did away with the SATURN brand, but they have certainly left a bad taste in my mouth about their product.

Unsatisfied
By danielle89 on 01/13/12 09:34 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a last resort after I totaled my previous vehicle. First I had problems with the wheels and had to replace all four wheels and tires. Then I started to have a problem starting the car in the cold. The only thing I have found to work is heating the key with a lighter, sticking it in the ignition and moving it up and down a few times to warm up the pins which are frozen by the grease apparently and then start. This is pathetic and white trash. I have heard MANY people have had this problem. Also heard one guy took it in to Saturn, spent thousands of dollars and they couldn't even figure it out. Saturn needs to obviously due a recall, this is pathetic.

Enjoying the Ion 2
By miss_nicole on 09/03/11 10:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I recently bought my 2005 Saturn Ion 2 in Febuary 2011 with 38k miles. and the only problem ive had with my car so far was the Coolant Sensor which i had to replace last month. Other than that i have had no other issues. It gets good gas mileage and drives smooth.

VERY UNHAPPY
By dawn414 on 04/04/11 13:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION Sedan 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been nothing but a headache since i bought it. It only has 40,000 miles on it, I had to replace the censor module twice, the front bushings, and the spark plugs already. It still squeeks, and the engine light always comes on.. Even with all new plugs and wires, dont know what else to do with it.. I will never buy another GM car in my lifetime, or any of my relitives.I have tried calling saturn company, and i have taken the car to the binghamton saturn dealer, and they can not fix it.. so much for customer satification.

Unhappy
By unhappy on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Loved the look of the car when I bought it however once it started getting cold the car wouldn't start, had to try it then wait ten min. Then it would start. Recently the clutch went out after only 65,000. Unbelievable

Good Bang For The Buck
By Courtney on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car with 130,000 on it. It now has 150,000 and no problems at all. I was not fond of this car at all but after driving it for a year it really grew on me. granted it's no jewel but 20 bucks to fill the tank, 20 bucks for an oil change and virtually maintenance free, how could you complain? The fact that the car is basically dent proof is another plus, i was in two accidents with this car and there is literally not a scratch on it. it's slow compared to other cars but gives you NO problems. Although i am getting a new car i must say that i will miss this car and hope that i have as much good luck with my ion as i do my altima. Might not be the best but you wont regret it. honestly.

Saturn ion base model
By Cat on 07/10/10 19:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION Sedan 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is first car I bought to get credit rating. I love this car! Manual transmission. 40/gal. Never got less no matter what I carry! Son got 35/gal. Aggressive driver! Love this car! I also like where the dash is. Lights are good there. Don't bother night vision.

Still kickin, but many problems
By Pt on 02/08/10 08:18 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Sedan 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Ion 3 in 6/2005 & have had the ignition replaced 3 times already, as well as the driver's window motor & wiper motor. I just brought it to Strauss for an alignment & they told me that both control arms, all bearings, and rods are shot...in a FOUR year old car!! No excuse for this. I previously owned a 93 Grand Am & the control arm only cracked due to a collision in 04. Control arms should NEVER wear out in less than 5 years! Please note also that my sister owns an '04 Saturn Ion & has had the same ignition issues. Just last week the key became stuck in the column-this, 2 months after they replaced her ignition! Def. avoiding GM if possible. No wonder they're going under!

Love My Saturn, sad I 2 have to replace
By Mandy on 12/27/09 01:59 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Saturn new with 4 miles on it, it now has 140,000. Never done a thing to it except change oil, new tires and 1 battery! I live in the country and this tiny car has no problems handling the dirt roads. Great in ice and snow too! Great gas milage. Sad they won't be making Saturn anymore. With 140K its time to replace it while I have the finances to.

Worst Car I've ever bought
By ION "Worst Car" on 11/28/09 10:10 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Saturn Ion3 is the worst car I have ever owned, I currently owe $7000.00 on the car and its engine is shot along with the rear main seal multiple attempts to fix the sunroof, drivers window, IGNITION (3times), HORRIBLE gas mileage and the worst customer service from GM ever. I wouldn't not recommend this car to my worst enemy!!! Sincerely Monica-