2005 Saturn ION Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Small annoying problems
By Mislead on 03/09/10 15:44 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 2006 as my first car. Was very reliable for the first few years, then stopped. Key cylinder has had to replaced once and soon will have to be replaced again. Car has leaked in the rain which destroyed my phone. Other than that, it has not been too bad. But it is really annoying having to spend fifteen minutes to remove your car key. Once it would not even turn off.

not a happy camper
By Samantha on 10/26/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

i bought this ion from a friend, in which i just bought it before winter came, had the car not start for me. called the dealership and they were very helpful, replaced the ignition switch. all seemed fine and dandy, due to the nice weather showed up again. march/April of this year, i installed command start, guess what, got cold out car would not start. u buy a command start for this purpose or am i not correct on that lol. they replaced the bcm *body control module* and so far so good, hasn't stranded me yet. i live in Saskatchewan Canada, so ya, we go from plus 30 to minus 10 in 24 hrs.

Great small car
By satisfiedsaturnowner on 01/25/09 20:46 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have had the car for almost a year now, and still love it. I have had no mechanical problems to date with it. Keep in mind it is a Saturn and will have its occasional pops and squeaks from all the plastic. Most of the noise is coming from the rear quad door, the top molding comes loose towards the rear of the door, but is easily popped back into place. It seems most of the reviewers have a problem with passlock, from experience on Saturn forums it appears this only happens in extremely cold conditions.

Last Saturn I buy
By Carolyn on 01/05/09 11:31 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Had a '94 SC1 and a '02 SC2 with no problems. Purchased ION 2 new in September 2005 as a leftover. Was great for the first few weeks, then a drain tube for the sunroof came undone & leaked thru healiner; dealer replaced carpet and headliner. Passlock anti- theft system froze repeatedly (preventing the car from starting for 20 minutes at a time) until replaced at 20k. Changed coil pack under warranty and now another I'll have to pay for at 50k miles. Have had computer code P0300- Random Misfire almost monthly since the warrantee expired, but no mechanic finds a problem. Seats are uncomfortable, dash rattles, rear door molding won't stay on ever. Poor quality to say the least.

You get what ya paid for
By Caligirl on 12/11/08 15:34 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car with 50K for $7K. I really got my money's worth which wasn't much. The right headlight refuses to work, it runs hard, the engine can't take going 70 mph, and the whole car seems to be made of cheap, cheap plastic. To top it off, my engine light turns on then after a few hours to a day it turns off by itself. And no one can figure out why it does that! Buy this car if you want a cheap compact gas saver.

Fun and efficient!
By Hi-Gloss on 11/07/08 10:05 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Ion used, mainly for the gas mileage since I drive about 2500 miles a month. It doesn't disappoint, averaging 30 (mostly highway driving). Styling is a little quirky, but it works. The rear doors on the coupe are a big plus! I've had no problems with the car; build quality is better than I expected from Saturn. It's quieter and better handling than most cars of its size, and comfort is about equal although the steering wheel is too far a reach. I sell cars for a living, and had my choice of several comparable cars. I'm happy I chose the Ion.

Solid, Fun and Great Service
By Todd on 09/10/06 21:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have thorougly enjoyed my Saturn and will certainly consider buying another. Two things that need serious improvement are some interior materials (cheap in some places) and it could use about 15-20 more horsepower.

Unreliable. Don't do it.
By pinktoes on 06/27/06 07:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Poorly made? Perhaps bad parts? I have had my horn replaced, the BCM replaced, and now the cruise control and gas gauge are not functioning properly. I cannot wait to trade this car in. I told myself I would keep it a year. One headache-filled year. I would not recommend Saturn or the ION. Not to mention the poor quality of the car, the salesmen and service department have been very disappointing.

3rd Saturn in a Row
By Lou Troga on 02/28/06 13:51 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I saw the 4-door sedan Ion in blue I told the salesman that I was interested in the SC2 as I have had both the SC2 (the sporty coupe) and the SL2 (the four-door sedan). So he brought out the top of the line Ion3 coupe and I feel in love. Surely a pleasure to drive and I love OnStar. The safety doors in the rear are great for certain reasons. I had to drive long distances to work in the first Saturn--the SL2 and it performed beautifully and took the hills in Vallejo a lot better than most cars. Then I drove a somewhat less with the SC2 but still a lot. But this ION will be used a lot more for pleasure and with great performance. I love my car and it has all the wonderful safety.

Best car for the money and then some
By ColoradoGambler on 06/29/05 14:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Quad Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car!! I bought it new and have had no problems with it. It handles extremely well, makes the tightest U-turns I've ever found, and has plenty of power and acceleration. It has a ton or room in the trunk and in the cockpit, and is capable of seating four full-size adults without complaint. A keg fits nicely behind the front passenger seat and in front of the back seat and the suicide doors make it easy to get big items in and out of the back seat. Would prefer better gas mileage though, but who wouldn't?