2005 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Unhappy
By unhappy on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Loved the look of the car when I bought it however once it started getting cold the car wouldn't start, had to try it then wait ten min. Then it would start. Recently the clutch went out after only 65,000. Unbelievable

I hate this car.
By Danielle on 05/06/09 16:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my very first car. The first month of driving it I loved it! But then things started going wrong. The waterproofing on the drivers side window wore down so it was extremely loud driving and water would leak in when it rained. At the same time the steering column collapsed. There is something always rattling in the back of my car and it comes loose and I have to shove it back in to place. When i have the air on, there is a buzzing noise coming from the passenger side. It seems like there is always something rattling. The seats are extremely uncomfortable and hot. It is not a very smooth ride. I am getting a new car as soon as possible. Exterior and interior are also very cheap.

very few problems- and they aren't big!
By Pretty Happy! on 05/06/09 07:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My ION has been great since the first day I drove off the lot 4 years ago. The gas mileage is great for my typical driving day, and the maintenance has been minimal- basic upkeep and tune-ups. This week was the first time I had any "problems". A few sensors had malfunctioned, causing the check engine light to turn on. I have had issues with it not letting me pull the key out from time to time, mentioned it to the service manager, and they have fixed it. Something was mis-aligned in the ignition housing. I am happy with my choice, and would be purchasing a new saturn if they still had the ION.

I love my little machine
By Tawni on 03/31/09 21:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car with 3 miles on it and am over 54,000 and still love it to pieces. I did have a small problem with the auto theft device turning on and preventing me from driving at first but I took it to the dealer and they reset the system and I've never had a problem since. I travel a lot and this car has a lot of highway miles on it and I've never been disappointed. I do wish however that the seats had a little more lumbar support for long distance drivers especially. I love the instrument panel in the middle. It took some getting use to but I like that there is no glare in my eyes at night. The selling feature for this car was the ability to pack and transport cargo. I love it!

No problems yet
By callahan on 01/15/09 20:51 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my ion almost three years ago with 22k miles on it. I've driven it every single day since then and have not had one single problem with it. the only time a mechanic touched it was to change the oil. its my first saturn and i have no reason to not buy another, my only complaint is that the suspension feels like its getting kinda mushy. Likes it's not as tight as it was when i bought it.

Warm weather only!
By Catt on 01/14/09 10:16 AM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Aside from the plastic construction, & non-ergonomic interior, I can only recommend this car to be owned in warm climates. From my experience, once the temps fall to freezing, the anti-theft system in the steering column freezes, the engine is incapacitate & you are stranded. I have to carry a small electric heater & a very long extension cord with me & insure I park near an outside outlet. Getting rid of it as soon as possible, & I will never buy another. Saturn denies there is any problem with the anti-theft & will not remove it.

Pathetic Car
By SamT on 11/29/08 15:32 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I had to get rid of my ION at 48,000 miles due to it needing more in repairs than the car was worth. At 48,000 miles, my transmission died due to a factory defect. SInce my car was out of warranty, Saturn wouldn't fix it for free. In addition to my blown transmission, I also needed a whole new valve body. The cost of the transmission and valve body was more than the car was worth. I'm not a car expert but I know enough to know that cars shouldn't be done for before they reach 50,000 miles. My ION had other problems too, such as a faulty ignition starter that wouldn't always let me remove the key. Saturn wouldn't fix the problem or admit there was one. Terrible car, terrible company. Beware!

I will never buy another Saturn
By michelle315 on 10/08/08 08:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but problems with this car. I bought it new and have owned it for three years now. It has had three transmissions replaced. The first two were in the first year of ownership. It recently had the bushings replaced in the front control arm. I picked it up from the dealer, drove it less than 30 miles, when the control arm came loose and fell onto the rim of my tire. The mechanic did not tighten the pinch bolt after servicing. I am glad I was only traveling about 30MPH or I would have had a major accident, loosing all control of the steering. It felt like the whole bottom of my car hit the pavement!! I can't wait to trade this piece in, and will never buy another Saturn again

Worst car ever owned
By von on 10/08/08 07:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had more problems with this car than any other. It has been in the shop too many times to count. I now could swim inside my car it's leaking soo bad, yet Saturn is telling me it's not there problem. This problem, along with many others that I'm having with the vehicle are listed on what I'm being told is recalls. Saturn of course is telling me there is no recalls. 2005 was the worst year they had with this vehicle so I find it hard to believe there is no recalls. I have many other problems but too many to list. I have owned a Saturn in the past and loved it which is why I bought another one, but I will never buy one again.

BAD PLASTIC CAR!
By cs15 on 02/21/08 18:00 PM (PST)

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Saturn ION Level 2 a little over a year ago, and about 6 months after owning it, every time I turned around, something else was going wrong with it. The engine bucking, clicking noises when driving, road noise, crappy cd/radio, doors unable to shut after being opened, broken hood latch...did I mention EVERYTHING in this car seems to be made of plastic except for the engine? I will NEVER buy another Saturn again.