Used 2005 Saturn ION 2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saturn Ion - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:

Unhappy
By unhappy

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Loved the look of the car when I bought it however once it started getting cold the car wouldn't start, had to try it then wait ten min. Then it would start. Recently the clutch went out after only 65,000. Unbelievable

Favorite Features

love the dash, and power capabilities

Suggested Improvements

get the ignition fixed. and no clutch should go out that soon

I hate this car.
By Danielle

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my very first car. The first month of driving it I loved it! But then things started going wrong. The waterproofing on the drivers side window wore down so it was extremely loud driving and water would leak in when it rained. At the same time the steering column collapsed. There is something always rattling in the back of my car and it comes loose and I have to shove it back in to place. When i have the air on, there is a buzzing noise coming from the passenger side. It seems like there is always something rattling. The seats are extremely uncomfortable and hot. It is not a very smooth ride. I am getting a new car as soon as possible. Exterior and interior are also very cheap.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. That is it.

Suggested Improvements

Rebuild the entire car. Or just don't make anymore.

very few problems- and they aren't big!
By Pretty Happy!

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My ION has been great since the first day I drove off the lot 4 years ago. The gas mileage is great for my typical driving day, and the maintenance has been minimal- basic upkeep and tune-ups. This week was the first time I had any "problems". A few sensors had malfunctioned, causing the check engine light to turn on. I have had issues with it not letting me pull the key out from time to time, mentioned it to the service manager, and they have fixed it. Something was mis-aligned in the ignition housing. I am happy with my choice, and would be purchasing a new saturn if they still had the ION.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, centered console (LOVE IT), sound system, BIG trunk, decent amount of space inside the car for passengers

Suggested Improvements

bring back the model!!! I don't want a hatchback!

I love my little machine
By Tawni

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car with 3 miles on it and am over 54,000 and still love it to pieces. I did have a small problem with the auto theft device turning on and preventing me from driving at first but I took it to the dealer and they reset the system and I've never had a problem since. I travel a lot and this car has a lot of highway miles on it and I've never been disappointed. I do wish however that the seats had a little more lumbar support for long distance drivers especially. I love the instrument panel in the middle. It took some getting use to but I like that there is no glare in my eyes at night. The selling feature for this car was the ability to pack and transport cargo. I love it!

Favorite Features

The ability to pack everything in with ease. The back seats fold down as well as the front passenger seat so I can load large items from the dashboard to the trunk. Who needs an SUV? Love the instrument panel in the center. Good sound system however it probably is conditional to the automobile.

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar support in front seats. Inside handles for the back doors! My passengers feel like they have child safety locks and what if there was an accident and they couldn't open the door to get out? Optional 3rd seat in the back would be nice. Something that folds down into the cup holders.

No problems yet
By callahan

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my ion almost three years ago with 22k miles on it. I've driven it every single day since then and have not had one single problem with it. the only time a mechanic touched it was to change the oil. its my first saturn and i have no reason to not buy another, my only complaint is that the suspension feels like its getting kinda mushy. Likes it's not as tight as it was when i bought it.

Favorite Features

Lots of space, good gas mileage, durable, I've taken this car down all kinds of unimproved roads with no issues. It's my off road sedan!

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a turbo or some nitrous, or how about a v8?