Used 2005 Saturn ION Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saturn Ion - Consumer Reviews

2005 Saturn ION

View reviews for a specific ION model:

Frustrated Saturn 2005 ION2 Owner - Cold Start Issue
By mam824

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

In 2008, I had to purchase a vehicle right after I started a new job. I went to SATURN dealer, out of loyalty, (my old SATURN lasted 12 yrs). There was a car just brought in with very low mileage (12,000+) for a 2005 model. I have had my share of issues, but the cold start issue has been a thorn on my side for over two years! First it was the engine light that kept turning on, that took almost a year and two instances of my car being out of commission for weeks at a time to be resolved. GM did away with the SATURN brand, but they have certainly left a bad taste in my mouth about their product.

Suggested Improvements

Find a way to correct this problem and not make the consumer responsible for fixing/correcting this defect.

Unsatisfied
By danielle89

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a last resort after I totaled my previous vehicle. First I had problems with the wheels and had to replace all four wheels and tires. Then I started to have a problem starting the car in the cold. The only thing I have found to work is heating the key with a lighter, sticking it in the ignition and moving it up and down a few times to warm up the pins which are frozen by the grease apparently and then start. This is pathetic and white trash. I have heard MANY people have had this problem. Also heard one guy took it in to Saturn, spent thousands of dollars and they couldn't even figure it out. Saturn needs to obviously due a recall, this is pathetic.

Suggested Improvements

Fix whatever is causing the cold start problems

Enjoying the Ion 2
By miss_nicole

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I recently bought my 2005 Saturn Ion 2 in Febuary 2011 with 38k miles. and the only problem ive had with my car so far was the Coolant Sensor which i had to replace last month. Other than that i have had no other issues. It gets good gas mileage and drives smooth.

Favorite Features

Favorite features ... the interior and exterior. no complaints.

Suggested Improvements

i do wish the "window lock" button locked the front windows not just the back.

VERY UNHAPPY
By dawn414

2005 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been nothing but a headache since i bought it. It only has 40,000 miles on it, I had to replace the censor module twice, the front bushings, and the spark plugs already. It still squeeks, and the engine light always comes on.. Even with all new plugs and wires, dont know what else to do with it.. I will never buy another GM car in my lifetime, or any of my relitives.I have tried calling saturn company, and i have taken the car to the binghamton saturn dealer, and they can not fix it.. so much for customer satification.

Suggested Improvements

better customer service when someone calls for help.

Unhappy
By unhappy

2005 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Loved the look of the car when I bought it however once it started getting cold the car wouldn't start, had to try it then wait ten min. Then it would start. Recently the clutch went out after only 65,000. Unbelievable

Favorite Features

love the dash, and power capabilities

Suggested Improvements

get the ignition fixed. and no clutch should go out that soon