2004 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
2004 Saturn Ion. Great Car for the Money
By Elf on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

In 2006 I bought this one owner vehicle used and in pristine condition with only 2,874 miles on it. With the low miles and great appearance I have always considered it as a "new" car purchase. A couple of months ago (June, 2010) I finally replaced the original tires as well as the car's battery. The battery to my surprise was located in the trunk. This was my fourth new car and the first that the battery lasted over 2 years. I guess with it being located in the trunk and away from all of the engine heat it was a good idea after all. It's not a sports car so when cornering at high rates of speed it kinda feels like it wants to get away from you. While driving the interior noise level is low.

Car Won't Start
By Saturn Stinks! on 08/11/10 17:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I bought a Saturn because I thought they were reliable and Saturn always made such a big deal of their great service. What a joke! I have the same IC chip problem in the ignition as lots of others. Before I knew this I contacted Saturn and they were absolutely not helpful. Told me to take it to a local GM dealer or drive and hour to the nearest Saturn dealer. No wonder they went out of business. I will never buy and never recommend a Saturn to anyone.

Good Commuter Car
By commuter_cop on 05/11/10 06:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought for my 68 mile a day commute to work. Great gas mileage, fill it up once a week. Good reliability, bought with just over 48,000 miles on it and had to change the bushings (Which i knew when I bought it) havent had to fix anything until about 90,000 miles when I replaced the rear shocks and new tires and brake pads. Cost about $450 bucks. Is all paid for and will run it into the ground. I love the 2.2 liter Ecotech engine. The center console where the gauges are is awesome. It has served its purpose admirably. Not a great car for a family cause there is little leg room in the back but as a commuter car I couldnt have asked for anything better for the money.

Thought it would be better
By psyculman on 04/04/10 03:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Saturn based on friends who owned older ones. But, my Ion reflected GM's usual utter disregard for customer loyalty. The front suspension rattled @20,000 miles, the ignition switch froze in 20 deg. weather, the wiper gear case broke off, front wheel bearings began to make noise at 60,000 mi. After 4 yr my $2,000 warranty, 5 year warranty, "applied from the "day" the car was "assembled", so did NOTHING! The morning the 'check engine' light came on, and I could not discover why on my own, I went directly to Toyota, and, bought a Corolla. End of story. See other reviews listed here on this site, if you can get a used Ion, cheap, it's probably going give you good service, but beware.

starts great then peters out
By bbilly on 03/29/10 19:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

bought this car brand new back in 04 and ran without any problems till 2009 right when the viecle was paid off. it only has 55000 miles and had to replace ecm computer module and cat conververter but the car just feels like its going to fall apart and the engine sound like a engine that has 150,000 miles on it. because of this quality issues I will not buy another domestic vehicle again. i just hope it runs for another 3 to 5 years.

I love this car!
By miss_tarabull on 03/23/10 22:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd car I've had, I'm 17 and it's totally perfect for me! It's so cute and fits me. The performance is great, I haven't found any problems with it at all; even my mom likes to drive it. It's super fun to drive, and I'm pretty protective of it. My last car (Ford Contour) was a dud but this car is awesome!

Not A Bad Car...
By kelseyxglamour on 02/18/10 10:47 AM (PST)

2004 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

good car for reliability, does good in the snow. The suspension is kinda squeaky, great deal for the price. The interior design is horrible you will defiantly be squeezed if there are more than two people in the car. There is no room to put anything, and there are only two cup holders.Over all i am happy with the car when i or one other person is in it. Defiantly Not a family car.Oh the fabric on the inside stains when you get water on it, the seats look terrible.

A bad used car-fails to start
By Mike Dbn on 01/17/10 09:27 AM (PST)

2004 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

This Saturn has the infamous "Passlock" anti-theft defect. The IC chip in the ignition column switch fails to recognize a genuine key and fails to start, usually in winter, but this has happened other times as well. The IC chip has been replaced twice, but I refuse to pay $300+ for an out-of- warranty repair. Not a reliable used car because of this. Also, the McPherson struts are noisy in winter, and make anoying "click" sounds. Seats feel cheap (no back support). Electric steering is too tight and you might oversteer into the next lane. Bad blind spots on both side pillars. Basically this is a 2004 Chevy Cavalier with plastic side panels. A real dog!

2004 Saturn Ion 4 door sedan
By loufalce on 12/26/09 14:53 PM (PST)

2004 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

Bought it late in 2004 after my `93 Lumina died at 110,000 miles {needed transmission} Excellent dealer and service. Generally well built car overall, never gave me any trouble until winter of 2008 when engine failed to start. After spending 125.00 at an "authorized GM repair shop"-the dealer was out of business- I was told it needed a new starter, ignition switch, and fuel injection module. Bottom line-1400.00. Since the car had slightly over 35,000 miles on it, I was -hit out of luck. It starts OK when its nice outside, but as soon as it gets cold, it takes forever. Bottom line. I`m going to lease a Honda Civic this time. I`ll never touch another GM car again.

Worst Car Ever
By cc on 12/10/09 19:04 PM (PST)

2004 Saturn ION 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

This car is the major reasons GM should go out of business. Within a month of driving the car off the lot I began having problems. I had to take the car back to the dealership every month that I owned the car for the first year. Every month was a different problem, and since it was not the same problem twice I was unable to file lemon law on the car. Problems include but are not limited to the electric steering failing, central computer glitches, anti-theft device would lock car ignition upon inserting key in ignition during cold weather and so on. Not only were there endless problems with this car but the dealers were even worse to deal with.