Used 2004 Saturn ION Coupe Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Saturn ION Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:

12-YRS BEHIND THE WHEEL
By Rick

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My ION ran great. I put 140,000 miles on it and replaced the clutch and a couple wheel bearings. Tires and brakes as usual.
Never gave me a lick of trouble.
Put a cold-air intake on it and got better gas mileage (31m/g commuting).
I babied it and it got full mileage of of tires.
Cornered just fine; its not a sport car... it's a sport coupe.
Very smooth ride.
Interior arrangement was very logical and easy to use while driving.
Let's put it this way ... mine was totalled (not my fault) and i'm going to probably buy another one used and get a couple more years with it.

more like sad-urn
By Jamar Banks

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

Everything started out great until the day of my wedding. My 92 year old mother and I went to brunch on what was supposed to be the greatest day of my life. I had scheduled the day out to a tee including my beautiful vows that I left safely in my glove compartment. Shortly after the briskets and jam came out the hostess made the announcement a golden Saturn Ion was smoking profusely in the parking lot. My mother and I dashed to the ION and quickly popped the hood. After the smoke cleared we decided to drive the vehicle to the nearest authorized dealership. The car decided to cut off in the far left left lane of US I 85. Mother and I had just gotten the walker out of the trunk but didn't have time to grab the three spare oxygen tanks. We made it to the shoulder as mother screamed "Holy Mother of pearl!" and a semi trunk rear ended the Ion right in the bosom. We don't remember much after that but the State trooper told us the oxygen tanks basically created a hydrogen bomb that propelled the ion 300 feet across the incoming lane. The tow truck driver told us that if it wasn't for the dry rotted frame and the irresponsibly placed gas tank (Saturn faulty designing for you) that the accident wouldn't have been half as bad. Needless to say I didn't make it to the wedding and the vows were destroyed. The marriage ended three years later due to a tax invasion scandal involving a dunkin doughnuts franchise. Moral of the story, don't buy a saturn they ruin lives and families.

HAPPY WITH MY CAR
By ANTHONY

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

2004 SATURN have a car My husband and I are happy TRUCK IS A STABLE ECONOMIC SUPER LIVE IN A PLACE THAT MAY TEST CARS CLIMBING AREA IN VICTORVILLE CA Crate and we've never had any WARMING

Good to us...watch the CVT
By skally

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this car brand new and overall it was a good vehicle for us. Here are the issues we had over 8 years and 140k miles. The remote start from the dealer never did work right. It engaged the PassLock system which left you waiting 10 minutes while the fuel system reset. We had the common issue with the ignition switch replacing it a few times before it was fixed for good. The biggest problem was the CVTs in these cars. They failed more often than they should and couldn't be rebuilt, only replaced. GM fixed a lot of them but ours never died. However at 140k miles it started act up a little which is why we decided to move on.

Great styling in and out. Plastic body panels looked almost new after 8 years.

Cheap interior materials. Crappy CVT. Tinny engine made a lot of noise. Interior space a little tight for those over 6 feet tall.

2004 Saturn Ion 2
By kmacarthur

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Saturn, and it gets the job done. It is a reliable vehicle, I was fortunate in finding a very clean used car.
One thing that has happened in both of my Ions is that the outlets cease to work at somepoint. I am assuming it's something simple, I just have not had it checked out yet. But either way, it has happened in both cars.
I know I'm not the only one who has had issues with the key getting stuck in the ignition. Again, this happened on both cars.
Overall, it really isn't a bad vehicle especially for someone who commutes. Its a little glitchy, but it gets me from A to B.

centered gauges, fuel efficiency, reliability