Used 2004 Saturn ION Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Saturn ION Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:

HAPPY WITH MY CAR
By ANTHONY

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

2004 SATURN have a car My husband and I are happy TRUCK IS A STABLE ECONOMIC SUPER LIVE IN A PLACE THAT MAY TEST CARS CLIMBING AREA IN VICTORVILLE CA Crate and we've never had any WARMING

Good to us...watch the CVT
By skally

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this car brand new and overall it was a good vehicle for us. Here are the issues we had over 8 years and 140k miles. The remote start from the dealer never did work right. It engaged the PassLock system which left you waiting 10 minutes while the fuel system reset. We had the common issue with the ignition switch replacing it a few times before it was fixed for good. The biggest problem was the CVTs in these cars. They failed more often than they should and couldn't be rebuilt, only replaced. GM fixed a lot of them but ours never died. However at 140k miles it started act up a little which is why we decided to move on.

Great styling in and out. Plastic body panels looked almost new after 8 years.

Cheap interior materials. Crappy CVT. Tinny engine made a lot of noise. Interior space a little tight for those over 6 feet tall.

2004 Saturn Ion 2
By kmacarthur

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Saturn, and it gets the job done. It is a reliable vehicle, I was fortunate in finding a very clean used car. One thing that has happened in both of my Ions is that the outlets cease to work at somepoint. I am assuming it's something simple, I just have not had it checked out yet. But either way, it has happened in both cars. I know I'm not the only one who has had issues with the key getting stuck in the ignition. Again, this happened on both cars. Overall, it really isn't a bad vehicle especially for someone who commutes. Its a little glitchy, but it gets me from A to B.

centered gauges, fuel efficiency, reliability

The Green Machine
By Brittany

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I knew I'd need a car that would do well traveling the interstate and not cost me a fortune in gas. I've gotten that. I've had problems with the key getting stuck in the ignition as well, & some electrical problems that seem to fix themselves. My mechanic can't ever find anything wrong with it, but as soon as we leave, it'll misbehave again, but just as quick as it started it will stop. The door sensor was triggering the door being open, which made my alarm go off at random & my dome light go on and off which would kill my battery, so for about a week I had to unplug my battery when I parked. Then it just started working again. It has 85k miles & is still running great under the hood though.

Don't have to sacrifice the sporty look to have a 4 dr, love the bucket seats, great mpg, huge trunk, quirky interior with the small steering wheel and odometer in the middle of the dash, seems like the engine and transmission are pretty hardy, makes a great first car! Anti lock brakes saved my life.

GM shouldn't have phased out Saturn because it made the value of these cars drop like a rock. Wish it didn't appear haunted with the weird come and go electrical problems. Brakes are noisy when they're wet. Car wouldn't start one morning, never happened before or after that. Just inconsistent.

I love this car!
By miss_tarabull

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd car I've had, I'm 17 and it's totally perfect for me! It's so cute and fits me. The performance is great, I haven't found any problems with it at all; even my mom likes to drive it. It's super fun to drive, and I'm pretty protective of it. My last car (Ford Contour) was a dud but this car is awesome!

Runs smoothly, Easy steering, Big trunk, and good transmission

The rear window is pretty small, which makes it a little harder to see out of.