2004 Saturn ION Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Good to us...watch the CVT
By skally on 07/26/13 07:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this car brand new and overall it was a good vehicle for us. Here are the issues we had over 8 years and 140k miles. The remote start from the dealer never did work right. It engaged the PassLock system which left you waiting 10 minutes while the fuel system reset. We had the common issue with the ignition switch replacing it a few times before it was fixed for good. The biggest problem was the CVTs in these cars. They failed more often than they should and couldn't be rebuilt, only replaced. GM fixed a lot of them but ours never died. However at 140k miles it started act up a little which is why we decided to move on.

2004 Saturn Ion 2
By kmacarthur on 07/14/13 13:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Saturn, and it gets the job done. It is a reliable vehicle, I was fortunate in finding a very clean used car. One thing that has happened in both of my Ions is that the outlets cease to work at somepoint. I am assuming it's something simple, I just have not had it checked out yet. But either way, it has happened in both cars. I know I'm not the only one who has had issues with the key getting stuck in the ignition. Again, this happened on both cars. Overall, it really isn't a bad vehicle especially for someone who commutes. Its a little glitchy, but it gets me from A to B.

The Green Machine
By Brittany on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I knew I'd need a car that would do well traveling the interstate and not cost me a fortune in gas. I've gotten that. I've had problems with the key getting stuck in the ignition as well, & some electrical problems that seem to fix themselves. My mechanic can't ever find anything wrong with it, but as soon as we leave, it'll misbehave again, but just as quick as it started it will stop. The door sensor was triggering the door being open, which made my alarm go off at random & my dome light go on and off which would kill my battery, so for about a week I had to unplug my battery when I parked. Then it just started working again. It has 85k miles & is still running great under the hood though.

I love this car!
By miss_tarabull on 03/23/10 22:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd car I've had, I'm 17 and it's totally perfect for me! It's so cute and fits me. The performance is great, I haven't found any problems with it at all; even my mom likes to drive it. It's super fun to drive, and I'm pretty protective of it. My last car (Ford Contour) was a dud but this car is awesome!

Worst Car Ever
By cc on 12/10/09 19:04 PM (PST)

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

This car is the major reasons GM should go out of business. Within a month of driving the car off the lot I began having problems. I had to take the car back to the dealership every month that I owned the car for the first year. Every month was a different problem, and since it was not the same problem twice I was unable to file lemon law on the car. Problems include but are not limited to the electric steering failing, central computer glitches, anti-theft device would lock car ignition upon inserting key in ignition during cold weather and so on. Not only were there endless problems with this car but the dealers were even worse to deal with.

very satisfied in NY
By satisfied in NY on 12/05/09 11:14 AM (PST)

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

The car is fun to drive and gets excellent gas mileage. Love the polymer door panels no dings from parking lots. We bought the car new in 2004 and have put 80,000 miles on it other than tires and front wheel bearings the only thing we have done is oil changes. We bought the upgrades of Anti lock brakes and traction control. The car is great in central NY winters and has been dependable since the day we bought it.

Death Trap
By Corey Arnold on 06/30/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a DEATH TRAP! It locks up when driving. Can not shift in and out of gears, especially when driving in rush hour traffic. Has been taken in a total of 36 times to dealership, and only when the warrenty was expired did they know the problem. The vehicle locked up while my little brother was driving and caused a horrible wreck, which landed him and the other person in the hospital. So long story short if you value your life and personal safety BOYCOT SATURN and their death trap vehicles.

Not a bad little car
By Some Kid on 03/19/09 19:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

GM/Saturn did a pretty good job with this car. About 60/40 driving conditions (city/highway), I get between 28-30 mpg. It's not a very fast car (despite the way Saturn designed the exterior) but it will get you to where you need to go while sipping on fuel. I do not like the interior. The rear seating of the 2 door quad coupe is unbearable and not comfortable for anyone over about 5'7" ish. Good size trunk space. The instrument cluster (speedometer and such) is in the center of the dash...kind of unnecessary. If you you're a commuter and aren't looking for an over luxerious vehicle, this is for you.

Great example of thinking outside of box
By Sidney on 02/06/09 04:23 AM (PST)

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Great example of thinking outside the box. It is an example of what I used to like about Saturn, not afraid to try something new. How many times have you bought a new car and only months later, find that you have door dings all over it from parking? Solution: Polymer body panels. The center console some people hate but I just love it. So much easier to see the instrumentation without having to look thru the steering wheel. The engine is smooth and refined, but the trans could use a bit of tuning. 2nd to 3rd shift is a bit abrupt when cold. The only service issue I have had in 50,000 miles are loose front stabilizer bushings. Front seats a bit soft. Very reliable so far.

Love my Saturn!
By docsmilitarywife on 09/19/08 09:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My husband bought me my Saturn ION Sport with all leather trim, sunroof, 6 cd changer & everything for my birthday and I absolutely adore it! It's the funnest car I have ever driven. It's reliable, sporty, beautiful, and low maitenance. The only things about it I would change are I would like it if it got a bit better gas mileage and the back seat is kinda cramped. I highly recommend one for those whom have no children or only a small child. We have driven this car to GA & Tennessee multiple times and it has always proven reliable. I get compliments on it all the time. People really like it, though not as much as I do! It is a 6 cylinder, too so it has great pick-up and speed.