2004 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Long Term, great car
By 04driver on 08/31/13 17:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2004 Ion3 almost new at the Saturn dealer, with about 2k miles. That's been 9 years and just over 100,000 miles ago. Perfect car, for me. Only replaced struts, belts, brakes, filters, oil, etc. Had auto transmission serviced once. Absolutely NO problems with this vehicle. Great trip vehicle for me. Disneyland, Grand Canyon, Salt Lake City, wherever I want to go. 30 plus mpg on freeway. I get better mpg when I go faster than stated limits, hmm.. Anyway, I love it so much, that my extended family have purchased three others. Looks like a Saturn lot when all are here. Others may have had problems, but for us. Great car. Wish they still made them. All 5 still work fine.

I'm gonna miss this car
By captreynolds on 08/14/13 11:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car 4 years ago with 59K miles already on it. 2 months ago, I totalled it in a rollover. First off, I'm completely unscathed--I had a couple minor cuts and a little whiplash. Secondly, in 4 years, I took this car to 147K miles--nearly 90K miles--and I had one major repair around 125K, when my timing belt tensioner went out. I had another repair bill over a grand about 5K miles earlier, but that was for the AC fan, wheel bushings in both front wheels, alignment, a radiator flush, and a tuneup. You know, normal wear and tear. This car ran and ran and ran and ran, with good fuel economy (~26-29 mpg) a smooth ride (though a little noisy) in almost all weather. Would buy again.

Bought w/ Salvage title - Great Car!
By dhallization on 08/07/13 05:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my big SUV for this little thing 4 years ago. It had a rebuilt salvage title (flipped over in accident) and 75k miles. I'm up to 120k and we still love it. 30+ mpg and minimal repairs. The only things we've had to do are: keep relays on hand for when the electrical steering goes out. At first this was a monthly occurrence, it has been 2 years since we've had to replace them. We did struts and brakes at 110k. A fuse for the cigarette lighter. Then of course the normal things, battery, oil changes, spark plugs, etc. We plan to drive this car until our family doesn't fit!

Good to us...watch the CVT
By skally on 07/26/13 07:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this car brand new and overall it was a good vehicle for us. Here are the issues we had over 8 years and 140k miles. The remote start from the dealer never did work right. It engaged the PassLock system which left you waiting 10 minutes while the fuel system reset. We had the common issue with the ignition switch replacing it a few times before it was fixed for good. The biggest problem was the CVTs in these cars. They failed more often than they should and couldn't be rebuilt, only replaced. GM fixed a lot of them but ours never died. However at 140k miles it started act up a little which is why we decided to move on.

2004 Saturn Ion 2
By kmacarthur on 07/14/13 13:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Saturn, and it gets the job done. It is a reliable vehicle, I was fortunate in finding a very clean used car. One thing that has happened in both of my Ions is that the outlets cease to work at somepoint. I am assuming it's something simple, I just have not had it checked out yet. But either way, it has happened in both cars. I know I'm not the only one who has had issues with the key getting stuck in the ignition. Again, this happened on both cars. Overall, it really isn't a bad vehicle especially for someone who commutes. Its a little glitchy, but it gets me from A to B.

Bought in 2004, still love & own it!
By toms04ion on 11/06/11 16:18 PM (PST)

2004 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this Ion new on 10/28/03 and have enjoyed the last 143k miles. Sure, in the beginning there were some bugs to work out, wiring harness, computer glich, shifter block and a few other small bulletin items that the Saturn dealer dilligently fixed. Other than general maintenance, the only thing replaced was the ignition switch. Each set of tires has gotten 55k, and the oem battery got over 5 years of use. The car has been extremely reliable. Since 25k, the car runs on Mobile 1 and a K&N filter, this has made a difference on mpg. Sometimes I think of selling to get a new car, can't justify it, do a comp with a Cruze, size, power,features, vertually same car! Not sexy, but delivers!

Overall a great car
By dagda567 on 05/21/11 18:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the ion for a nice, cheap car with good gas mileage. My fiance loves the styling and the interior, although to me the exterior looks kinda odd. The seats are fine for around town but i wouldn't want to take a road trip in it. The dash console position is strange but I actually kinda like it. Controls are all very easy to reach and the gas mileage is great. For an economy car it actually rides very nice. And GM's 2.2 Ecotec engine is absolutely flawless. I feel very safe with that engine because of its reliability record.

A true lemon! Starting difficulties!
By Mike S. on 11/27/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

This is the car that killed Saturn. Mine was plagued with electrical problems: "Passlock" malfunctions made the car unstartable at times. (2 column passlock switch assemblies replaced and the problem came back a 3rd time. A $300+ dealer repair if out-of- warranty.) The sensor in the anti- freeze overflow failed. Left headlight problem due to wiring harness wear. Recall for turn signal mal-function. Noisy McPherson struts in winter. A harsh ride, especially in winter. Cheap- looking seats and interior trim. Only pluses: good gas mileage and no rust due to plastic body parts. A mediocre end to the Saturn legacy. Basically a small Chevy with plastic side panels. Too bad.

I love my ION 2
By BLACKBEAUTYION on 11/25/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I have had this car since 2008 and besides the little problems I love it I have had just the normal maintenance done to it and I think Saturn should have been around still the have great long lasting cars I would have bought another Saturn I loved the whole car line I have talked to other owners who say they have never got the mileage out of the other cars they have owned

The Green Machine
By Brittany on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn ION 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I knew I'd need a car that would do well traveling the interstate and not cost me a fortune in gas. I've gotten that. I've had problems with the key getting stuck in the ignition as well, & some electrical problems that seem to fix themselves. My mechanic can't ever find anything wrong with it, but as soon as we leave, it'll misbehave again, but just as quick as it started it will stop. The door sensor was triggering the door being open, which made my alarm go off at random & my dome light go on and off which would kill my battery, so for about a week I had to unplug my battery when I parked. Then it just started working again. It has 85k miles & is still running great under the hood though.