2003 Saturn ION Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Love my Ion! Has 225k miles on it and still running strong!
By rcameron5 on 06/30/14 00:27 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I love my Ion. It is a very trust worthy car. I bought it used and it had 205K miles on it and it now has 225K miles and it is still running strong. The air is ice cold, it runs great. Always gets me where I need to be! The only thing that has been wrong with it. If the wheel isn't just straightly perfect it won't go to the off on the ignition. It will only go to accessories. I just stick my finger up this hole and press this button and it goes to off and right out. Easy fix! But, it is stylish for the year and runs good. I love my Ion!! I can't wait to see how long it will last me!

Happy owner since new
By cartopcamper on 02/20/14 07:27 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION Sedan 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We've owned since new a 2003 Saturn Ion 3 sedan with 5-speed manual transmission. It now has about 145K miles and is going strong. All of our 5 kids learned how to drive a stick in this car. The clutch finally needed replacement at 137K miles. I live in Southern California. While a daughter attended school near Boise, ID, I'd drive up a couple times a year via Nevada back roads. I wouldn't see another vehicle for hours while driving through the desert, so I'd drive 100 mph for long periods without a problem - still got great mpg. I still use this car if driving long trips by myself. Only problem for us was/is the ignition key switch issue - about $350 to fix, and I haven't yet

Very happy owner!
By ebeaudoin on 02/05/14 11:54 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in March 2013 with 132,000 miles, now has 145,000 and I am very happy with it! Does great in the snow with All-Seasons. I commute 44 miles round trip a day, 5 days a week and this car just keeps on going and serving me well. Sure, I could find issues with it, but I think any issues are mostly due to its two previous owners and the fact that it's 11 years old with 145,000 miles. By the way, super glad I found one with a manual. So much fun!

A Car To Keep
By adamdastmalchi on 02/05/12 01:31 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I got my used 2003 Saturn with only 30, 000 miles for $9,500 at a local Saturn dealership back in 2007. The clerks were very friendly. I have to say that there are way more pros than cons for this car. Of course, I do not live in a very cold environment, so I do not have start up issues. Gas mileage with only 12.5 gallons is amazing. This car came with a battery, and for four years I did not replace it. I should have found out how old it was, because I recently got a new one. This sucker is tough! It would still start, and the alternator was in great shape. It is very crash-safety and is very smooth on the road.

My blue baby
By thielgrad04 on 02/02/12 11:58 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I love my car. I have had it 8.5 years. I had 0% for 60 months. I paid it off. I did have to put a new tranny in for like 3k in 09' at around 80k miles and a new (used) ac compressor for about 420$ in 2010 as well as a new tail pipe/catalyc converter due to a tiny hole in the muffler that midas said wouldnt pass inspection, but other than that I haven't had any major repairs. I never broke down because of a car problem. In summer 2011, I was rear ended because the girl behind me didn't stop when I stopped behind a school bus and she cracked and messed up my back bumper on the drivers side. Bent the tailpipe (another replacement) but HER car's front end smashed up like an accordion!

Best purchase ever!
By garrettham on 10/08/11 19:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchaed this car around one year ago adn it has been nothing but a charm! The 2.2 has decent pep when you need it to, and even with my very agressive driving i still average 36 mpg! With 4 Blizzaks this car controls amazing in snow! My car is the 2 with no options but a spoiler in silver. The only bad things about the car are that with the manual mirrors the passanger side one is fixed, so you cant adjust it. Also the head lights are VERY dull, but some new bulbs will do the trick. The only other thing is it used to sometimes not start in the cold, but all you need is a good mechanic to cut some wire in the ignition. Over all if youre at all interested, purchase one, theyre honestly great

Finally Unloading this Car
By jallegra22 on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

Where to start...check engine light came on when I drove it off the lot, sensor problems..5th gear went out at 40,000 miles (a long/expensive fix), good luck if you live in a cold climate it will fail to start (for 15 minutes exactly) which is extremely inconvenient as you're sitting there in the freezing cold waiting for it, cooling system is totally shoddy and interior looks completely trashed from next to nothing. replaced wiper system twice. I will say that I get wonderful gas mileage, but it's been nothing but problems along the way with this car. The ride is bumpy and loud and I'm always waiting for something else to break. I'm having to get rid of this car at only 85,000 miles.

Love this car
By John on 06/03/10 20:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION Sedan 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a great investment. I love the way it drives, including a tight turning radius and surprising pickup. Wouldn't hesitate at all to buy this one all over again. Too bad Saturn is history.

O K car.
By leo on 02/19/10 10:57 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION Sedan 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Owned since 8/07. Took some time to adjust to. Gear shifting is awkward compared to a Honda or Toyota. Great turning radius. Chronic ignition switch problem that shows up in winter. Wipers are plastic and are very delicate in cold weather with snow or ice. Fabric is cheap and stains easily. Seats not all that comfortable. Like car a lot but have been let down more than once.

Would Not Recommend
By taergreat on 02/08/10 10:02 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION Sedan 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

Overall, I wish I hadn't purchased this vehicle. The ride is decent but not impressed with the gas mileage (all I can get is about 24MPG highway). The car has a very cheapy plastic feel to it. Build is below average and seats stain very easily. My Saturn has been fairly reliable until recently when a problem all-to common to Saturns cropped up. I can't turn the key to the off position in the ignition. It just locks up. This, in turn, drains the all to expensive battery.