Used 2003 Saturn ION Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Saturn Ion - Consumer Reviews

2003 Saturn ION Coupe

View reviews for a specific ION model:

Would buy another
By azgirl

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I like my Ion. Six years after purchasing, it's a great value. I don't drive it hard. Maybe if I drove it more, it would have more issues. Six years and less than 37K miles, the only issues I've had are a drivers side power window issue (fixed under warranty), and I now need new bushings. Love the interior and exterior styling and would buy another if they were still in production.

Favorite Features

Instrumentation in the center of the dash, instead of behind the steering wheel.

Non start problems
By Unsatisfied

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Why won't Saturn stand behind their vehicles? Only a week after purchasing my vehicle it won't start. Local repair shop said probably starter, decided to do a little research first, omg I can't believe the thousands of complaints on line. Dealers replace ignition switch which is faulty in the first place but they do not acknowledge that. Guess what the switch if you are lucky only lasts a year if that and then you are stuck with the same repair every year.

Favorite Features

Style.

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your faulty equipment

Great Car
By A/G

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is one great car. Easy to drive, fun, and looks sharp. Great fuel mileage. Great in the winter and summer. Just an all around nice car. I recommend it for a first car, or if you need a daily drive that gets good gas mileage but want to stay American.

My Last Saturn
By EW

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

At the time I got this car - the "college grad" deal made it the most affordable car around. Now all I want to do is get rid of it. It is not a sporty car. It is an economy coupe, and that is it.

Favorite Features

Orange color

Suggested Improvements

Offer a V6, fix body flex stability, smoother transmission, better interior component quality. Better yet, discontinue the car (They already have).

Almost 3 years
By GaryM

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The car has yet to let me down. I have had several trips to the dealer, and almost always got the car back while I waited. The free rental with my service contract made any overnight problems bearable. The tires seem to be about gone. This is a little better than I expected for OEM tires. The 16" low profile tires gave the car the best handling I have has with a small car. The transmission shifts good most of the time, but occasionaly hunts when the acceleration drops off near it's shift point. The front seats have a tremendous amount of leg room. However, the rear seat passenger can loose all of their leg room to the front seat. The car is comfortable on long trips.

Favorite Features

Center Instrument cluster 16" wheels big trunk

Suggested Improvements

Better tilt wheel