2003 Saturn ION Coupe Consumer Reviews

2003 Saturn ION Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Would buy another
By azgirl on 07/07/09 11:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I like my Ion. Six years after purchasing, it's a great value. I don't drive it hard. Maybe if I drove it more, it would have more issues. Six years and less than 37K miles, the only issues I've had are a drivers side power window issue (fixed under warranty), and I now need new bushings. Love the interior and exterior styling and would buy another if they were still in production.

Non start problems
By Unsatisfied on 03/01/09 13:49 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Why won't Saturn stand behind their vehicles? Only a week after purchasing my vehicle it won't start. Local repair shop said probably starter, decided to do a little research first, omg I can't believe the thousands of complaints on line. Dealers replace ignition switch which is faulty in the first place but they do not acknowledge that. Guess what the switch if you are lucky only lasts a year if that and then you are stuck with the same repair every year.

Great Car
By A/G on 10/08/06 20:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is one great car. Easy to drive, fun, and looks sharp. Great fuel mileage. Great in the winter and summer. Just an all around nice car. I recommend it for a first car, or if you need a daily drive that gets good gas mileage but want to stay American.

My Last Saturn
By EW on 08/02/06 12:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

At the time I got this car - the "college grad" deal made it the most affordable car around. Now all I want to do is get rid of it. It is not a sporty car. It is an economy coupe, and that is it.

Almost 3 years
By GaryM on 01/28/06 01:20 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The car has yet to let me down. I have had several trips to the dealer, and almost always got the car back while I waited. The free rental with my service contract made any overnight problems bearable. The tires seem to be about gone. This is a little better than I expected for OEM tires. The 16" low profile tires gave the car the best handling I have has with a small car. The transmission shifts good most of the time, but occasionaly hunts when the acceleration drops off near it's shift point. The front seats have a tremendous amount of leg room. However, the rear seat passenger can loose all of their leg room to the front seat. The car is comfortable on long trips.

Good on gas, that's it
By wosko on 09/28/05 03:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After 2 months of owning this car, the car wouldn't shut off because the key wouldn't turn or come out. I had to have it towed and the ignition solinoid replaced. A month later it happened again. The dials on the thermostat don't rotate properly. The remote trunk unit has to be reset every so often. The brakes are already going bad. You can't spill anything in the car because cleaning the material will leave moisture stains. Worst buy ever.

what fun!
By happy50ish on 12/29/04 20:23 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have truly enjoyed owning this car. For the money it's the best comuter car out there. I'm very tall and I like the driver leg room. Never intended to put anyone in the back seat. No mechanical problems to date. The purchase process was fantastic. It's a little noisy on the highway but hey, you can't have it all for well under 20K.

Good Car
By squeak303 on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

For the price you can't really go wrong. It's a solid car and very reliable. Gas milage is excellent, especially in high priced Chicago area.

2003 ION needs work
By kurt w on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My experience with two 2003 Ions suggested Saturn put GM's new Delta chassis too early. A solid body and good handling were appreciated. Freeway cruising was quiet but nervous. Build quality was awful - both cars had tons of squeaks, rattles, ill fitting parts, and transmission and engine glitches two service centers could not repair. 24 mpg was the rule but acceleration not so great (5 speed helped on hills but often shifted harshly). The buying experience was pleasant, but the service was awful. Hopefully the 2004 and 2005 versions will be better.

definitely worth a look
By schillidog on 02/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION Coupe 2 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Saturn greatly improves on their small car platform with the new ion line. more power, space and better looks i bought this car in july 03 and have had no problems with it the car gets good gas mileage and has a good performance along with it all backed by saturns reputation for reliability and helpfulness through dealerships