2003 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
My Last Saturn
By EW on 08/02/06 12:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

At the time I got this car - the "college grad" deal made it the most affordable car around. Now all I want to do is get rid of it. It is not a sporty car. It is an economy coupe, and that is it.

Almost 3 years
By GaryM on 01/28/06 01:20 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The car has yet to let me down. I have had several trips to the dealer, and almost always got the car back while I waited. The free rental with my service contract made any overnight problems bearable. The tires seem to be about gone. This is a little better than I expected for OEM tires. The 16" low profile tires gave the car the best handling I have has with a small car. The transmission shifts good most of the time, but occasionaly hunts when the acceleration drops off near it's shift point. The front seats have a tremendous amount of leg room. However, the rear seat passenger can loose all of their leg room to the front seat. The car is comfortable on long trips.

what fun!
By happy50ish on 12/29/04 20:23 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have truly enjoyed owning this car. For the money it's the best comuter car out there. I'm very tall and I like the driver leg room. Never intended to put anyone in the back seat. No mechanical problems to date. The purchase process was fantastic. It's a little noisy on the highway but hey, you can't have it all for well under 20K.

Good Car
By squeak303 on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

For the price you can't really go wrong. It's a solid car and very reliable. Gas milage is excellent, especially in high priced Chicago area.

2003 ION needs work
By kurt w on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My experience with two 2003 Ions suggested Saturn put GM's new Delta chassis too early. A solid body and good handling were appreciated. Freeway cruising was quiet but nervous. Build quality was awful - both cars had tons of squeaks, rattles, ill fitting parts, and transmission and engine glitches two service centers could not repair. 24 mpg was the rule but acceleration not so great (5 speed helped on hills but often shifted harshly). The buying experience was pleasant, but the service was awful. Hopefully the 2004 and 2005 versions will be better.

Ions Rock
By TSCBoy on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Lives up to Saturns standard of providing the best value for your automobile purchase dollar. It is cute, zippy and practical.

old mans coupe
By sdue52 on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a little age on me, but I still like a sporty ride. I just purchased a bright red Saturn Quad Coupe, with tan leather and all the goodies. I like the tight feel of the car. The sport suspension is firm but you got to love the way the car hugs the apex of a curve. The gauge pod is a great idea, and I like it. It is easy to keep you eyes on the road. The car is a blast to drive, and attracts a lot of attention. The most common reaction is "THAT IS A SATURN?"

Reviewers have heads in dark places
By Frank Farkle on 07/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have a FULLY loaded ION 3/5M and I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH A VEHICLE! Puke on Edmund's and Consumer Reports bogus reviews. What're they smoking? The ION 3 is the best in class for the money, bar none! It holds a 45 mph corner, at 75 mph, without blinking. The leather seats are excellent. Bought for mileage and drivability - NOT racing off the line. Top-end optional sound system is exceptional. Interior egronomics, fit and finish, are quite nice - electronics - state of the art. $20K vehicle that has a tighter turning radius than Audi's A4.

A few annoying quirks
By Jill B. on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 3 4dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The driver's seat is too wide, so I move around in turns. No adjustable seat tilt, so my thighs are not supported. The clutch safety switch clicks. Hopefully the seat will mold to me like my SL1 did. Most FM stations have static. Brought it back twice, and have been told it's working properly. I'm still trying to get this solved. If I can't, I don't know what to do. Very roomy, much bigger than the SL. The tightest turning circle I have ever seen. Powerful engine, huge trunk with storage underneath. I like the central gauges, not their illumination/contrast at night. Lots of features for the money. Place for sunglasses, but not CD or tape case.