2003 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Very happy owner!
By ebeaudoin on 02/05/14 11:54 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in March 2013 with 132,000 miles, now has 145,000 and I am very happy with it! Does great in the snow with All-Seasons. I commute 44 miles round trip a day, 5 days a week and this car just keeps on going and serving me well. Sure, I could find issues with it, but I think any issues are mostly due to its two previous owners and the fact that it's 11 years old with 145,000 miles. By the way, super glad I found one with a manual. So much fun!

Best purchase ever!
By garrettham on 10/08/11 19:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchaed this car around one year ago adn it has been nothing but a charm! The 2.2 has decent pep when you need it to, and even with my very agressive driving i still average 36 mpg! With 4 Blizzaks this car controls amazing in snow! My car is the 2 with no options but a spoiler in silver. The only bad things about the car are that with the manual mirrors the passanger side one is fixed, so you cant adjust it. Also the head lights are VERY dull, but some new bulbs will do the trick. The only other thing is it used to sometimes not start in the cold, but all you need is a good mechanic to cut some wire in the ignition. Over all if youre at all interested, purchase one, theyre honestly great

No wonder GM dumped Saturn
By coloman on 12/03/09 14:51 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

From the start it was good, but man with in a few months took a dump! Starts sometimes and others times nothing, but we have had it check and no mechanic can find anything. Coolant light on, can't get it off no one knows why no leaks, holds pressure. Blinkers keep burning out and blinker burning out recall has been done by dealer. Please don't buy one these cars!

it can happen
By rodknee on 10/25/09 13:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

ready for this,, 285000 miles on mine saturn. yes,,now here;s the deal. problems,, interior,, well cheap,my power windows worked when they want to ,, fixed that, just move the wire in the door heading into compartment engine power locks stink.. pain sometimes, horn not so good., have a couples .brakes pads rotors, doesnt like the cold weather either,, have to warm up before the car will turn over, but in general this car been pretty good,,simple wear and tear. inside looks kinda crappy outside still looks good.

Owned this car 6 years, 89,000 miles
By Cher on 03/26/09 14:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I enjoyed owning this car 6 years. However, I wish I would have bought the 04 Ion instead of the 03 one. Never buy a new model of car the first year it comes out, too many little glitches. Saturn did fix many of these glitches and the transmission in 04, 05 models. The automatic transmission was too bumpy in the 03 model. No major problems with this car. Only broke down once. Bought 100,000 mile/7 year warranty. Wish I hadn't because the Ion was pretty dependable.

6 Satisfied Years with the ION
By mcgregwood on 03/17/09 18:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I must say that this car was fun to drive. It handled better than any car I drove, even my new 2009 Cobalt. I really liked having the dash in the middle, you just have to get used to it. Of course I had little problems here and there, nothing major. I shouldn't have bought a new model of car the first year it came out. I should have waited till 2004 to buy the ION after all the little kinks where worked out. Overall I was pretty satisfied with the ION. Only broke down on my once in 6 years. The car still looked great when I traded it in last week. I love the fact that Saturns don't rust. I would recommend this car to anyone, but it's better to buy a 2004 or newer model.

Not a good compact sedan...
By RuddigerPez on 03/14/09 14:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

There are much better compact sedans out there for your money. Had many issues with my Ion that I purchased new in 2003. Have had the "no start" issue, the OEM tires were horrible, the back brakes were faulty, and had numerous issues in the FWD linkage. Plus, engine and road noise are terrible, mileage was disappointing for this engine (22 HWY in MN winter, 25 HWY in summer) and the interior materials are cheap, cheap, cheap. My friend bought a Corolla months after I got mine for a similar price and it was superior in every way. Was kicking myself all they way until I traded in for a new Mazda6 this year.

So many better vehicles for the money
By RuddigerPez on 02/22/09 14:17 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Chose an ION because I was trading in an SL2 and wanted the best value. Unfortunately, this car disappointed at every turn. Poor performance, with a loud engine, horrible road noise and terrible mileage (currently at about 26 hwy with driver only). Interior layout looked innovative but in all practicality it just doesn't work. Driver's seat is the most uncomfortable I've ever experienced. And the GM passlock issue has reared its ugly head with my model, though no recall has been issued. I made a horrible decision considering the Corolla, Civic, or Sentra were all much better vehicles for the same price at the time of purchase. It is a mistake I will not make again.

Fine With Me
By Smookiepooch on 02/02/09 10:48 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Saturn at the end of '02 and at 133,000 it's still going strong. I've had some problems recently but with that many miles it's bound to happen. My blinker went out but that was a recall item so it was fixed for free. The only 2 major problems I had was my key got stuck in the ignition and my fan went out, fixed both for under $200.

Will drive it until it dies!
By RatPack25 on 01/23/09 07:40 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Picked up my Ion new in '03. Car was well priced for what I got (sunroof, auto trans, etc.) Is good gas mileage car, and has enough pep to keep up in city traffic. 3 problems I've had: hood release cable snapped twice, sunroof cover got jammed (was replaced), and drivers side window has trouble going up and down when it's cold (have to hit the door a couple times to make it work). Otherwise, this car has given me no mechanical problems, and has been a very reliable daily driver. I plan on driving it until it dies, or becomes too costly to repair.