Used 2003 Saturn ION 1 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Saturn Ion - Consumer Reviews

2003 Saturn ION

View reviews for a specific ION model:

Love this car
By John

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a great investment. I love the way it drives, including a tight turning radius and surprising pickup. Wouldn't hesitate at all to buy this one all over again. Too bad Saturn is history.

Favorite Features

Small steering wheel. Odometer display.

A good car
By AJ

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought the car new in 2004. And the two of us have put over 70,000 miles on it sense with very few problems. The greatest one being the starter, a factory problem, that we have had changed out twice (its a $30 part, with labor being at least 3 times the cost of the part). Other than that simply doing the basics, oil change, alignments etc. One notable experience was when i drove through 1 mile of flooded road over a foot of water and i made it through, no stalling or problems after exiting the water.

Favorite Features

dent resistant paneling, nice pick-up for a 4 cyl. Still has pep power while traveling 60mph.

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage like every other car on the market, air/heat control gets stuck when i want heat!

Not Such A Great Deal Afterall
By Kristen

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I first bought the car, I liked it. Maybe just because it was my first car. Since then, it's been disappointed over and over. The locking mechanism fell into the door; the ignition switch, starter, ECU, and battery had to be replaced at 30k miles for no apparent reason; the shift lock solenoid needs replacing or the key won't turn all the way back; even after replacement of recalled signal assembly, it's still bad. I've had nothing but problems with this car and can't wait to get rid of it! I will never, ever buy a Saturn ever again. This car was a huge disappointment!

Favorite Features

The dash being in the middle is definitely the best thing about the car. Took some getting used to, but now I love it. Not much else good can be said for this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Make sure that a vehicle will not be a series of problems when sold if Saturn wants return customers! With the series of repairs that were needed on my car (which several have had the same problem), nothing will improve my image of this car.

It's been a great car
By George

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Ion has been a great car. The only mechanical failure, other than routine stuff like tires and brakes was a front wheel hub. The engine and transmission was redesigned for this model year and can really move for a 4 cylinder.

Good Car for Us
By Joel

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We've been quite happy with this car. We did buy it used with 48k miles on it and have put on another 40 ourselves. We have taken it on a two week trip from MI out to CO going through several States and their cities in the process. There was 4 of us in the car with all our stuff in July and we were cool and comfortable averaging 32 MPG. We've gotten as high as 34 unloaded w/o AC and 28 in the city. The 2.2L is pretty peppy in regards to a 4 banger and the 5 speed manual is a little sloppy but still fun. It stops well, turns on a dime and I think very fun to drive. We have only had to replace tires and change oil. It has been a very reliable car so far.

Favorite Features

Fold down back seats, cup holders, turning radius, peppiness, big trunk, controls in center (which takes about 15 minutes to get used to, really thought I'd hate it)

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise, this is a loud car which is inexcusable today. MGP, until cars run on air you can always push for better gas mileage. Fan motor. The fan motor for AC/Heat rattles at speeds 1 & 2. Dealer says it's a flaw in the car. Seriously? C'mon there has to be a way. Smoother shifting.