2003 Saturn ION 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2003 Saturn ION - Consumer Reviews

1 Sedan (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific ION model:
Love this car
By John on 06/03/10 20:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a great investment. I love the way it drives, including a tight turning radius and surprising pickup. Wouldn't hesitate at all to buy this one all over again. Too bad Saturn is history.

A good car
By AJ on 08/03/09 11:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought the car new in 2004. And the two of us have put over 70,000 miles on it sense with very few problems. The greatest one being the starter, a factory problem, that we have had changed out twice (its a $30 part, with labor being at least 3 times the cost of the part). Other than that simply doing the basics, oil change, alignments etc. One notable experience was when i drove through 1 mile of flooded road over a foot of water and i made it through, no stalling or problems after exiting the water.

Not Such A Great Deal Afterall
By Kristen on 06/10/08 17:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I first bought the car, I liked it. Maybe just because it was my first car. Since then, it's been disappointed over and over. The locking mechanism fell into the door; the ignition switch, starter, ECU, and battery had to be replaced at 30k miles for no apparent reason; the shift lock solenoid needs replacing or the key won't turn all the way back; even after replacement of recalled signal assembly, it's still bad. I've had nothing but problems with this car and can't wait to get rid of it! I will never, ever buy a Saturn ever again. This car was a huge disappointment!

It's been a great car
By George on 06/06/08 04:37 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Ion has been a great car. The only mechanical failure, other than routine stuff like tires and brakes was a front wheel hub. The engine and transmission was redesigned for this model year and can really move for a 4 cylinder.

Good Car for Us
By Joel on 03/17/08 07:32 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We've been quite happy with this car. We did buy it used with 48k miles on it and have put on another 40 ourselves. We have taken it on a two week trip from MI out to CO going through several States and their cities in the process. There was 4 of us in the car with all our stuff in July and we were cool and comfortable averaging 32 MPG. We've gotten as high as 34 unloaded w/o AC and 28 in the city. The 2.2L is pretty peppy in regards to a 4 banger and the 5 speed manual is a little sloppy but still fun. It stops well, turns on a dime and I think very fun to drive. We have only had to replace tires and change oil. It has been a very reliable car so far.

I'm Done
By jewelz on 08/12/07 22:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Door lock collapsed into the door, daylight running lights went out 3 times, lowest fan speed squeaks, everything stains the seats (even water), interior plastic doesn't line up/panels fell off on the inside, you have to get used to using your mirrors b/c you can't see out the back, hard/flat seats, cd player skips, the horn is hard to press, not enough ground clearance, gear shift obstructs cupholders, grinding noise from steering wheel, bad smell comes from AC, key got stuck in the ignition. I saved the worst for last- The transmission slips and the car jerks forward and the service guys don't believe you because they can't replicate the problem, fun times!

OK car
By Leo on 11/25/06 11:52 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

OK car for its price. Had minor problem with the electric system first year. Original set of tires of very bad quality and no warranty on them at all. On average 30mpg, which is great. Shock absorbing system is bad, can feel any bump on a road. Good ride otherwise. A bit rough switching between gears. Services not of great quality and not that cheap at all, I would say, a bit expensive for an entry level car.

Saturn ION
By Fielder on 11/07/05 02:54 AM (PST)

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Center console is awkward. Have to take eyes off the road to check speed or read displays. All arrows are in BRIGHT RED making my heart rate jump every time I look at it. Back end of car is too high for good visibility. I don't feel SAFE. Mileage is poor, as low as 8 (eight!) miles per gallon, highest has been 24 mpg. Trunk opening is too small, even though the trunk itself is roomy, can't get anything bigger than a small box inside it. Tires are hard to change. Front end is so long and car is so low it drags every time I hit a speed bump or dip. Can't see front and back of vehicle from inside, so hard to figure out where I am in relation to outside objects. I HATE this car!

Worst Model Yet
By adida5796 on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Ive had my saturn ion for a little over a year. Its been in the shop 7 times now, the 7th tommorow. Its had a leaky motor, a broken cd player, a recall, the transmission slips and the RPM's race and the car jerks forwards, the brakes are terrible as they are going in tommorow because the car makes a creeking sound when stopping and maneuvering. I wouldnt recommend this car to anyone who wants reliability and comfort unless you like roadtrips cause you will be taking many of those back to the dealership to get repairs! The car has a lot of problems with noises and they are very annoying. Id get a Civic or Toyota! Too bad im suck in the lease!

Not really pleased...
By Ladydih30 on 06/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn ION 1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

In the past year I've taken my car into the dealership to have 6 different (major) things repaired. The ignition was replaced, the passenger side lower control arm had to be replaced, the turn signal wiring had to be replaced, the computer replaced. There was a fuel line recall, and the door lock collapsed into the door. Someone at the dealership told me to be grateful I didn't have the same problem another customer does, apparently her car just shuts down randomly as she is driving along and they can't figure out why. I don't have the trust in my Saturn that I had in the cars I've had by other manufaturers.