Used 2003 Saturn ION Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Saturn Ion - Consumer Reviews

2003 Saturn ION

View reviews for a specific ION model:

Love my Ion! Has 225k miles on it and still running strong!
By rcameron5

2003 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I love my Ion. It is a very trust worthy car. I bought it used and it had 205K miles on it and it now has 225K miles and it is still running strong. The air is ice cold, it runs great. Always gets me where I need to be! The only thing that has been wrong with it. If the wheel isn't just straightly perfect it won't go to the off on the ignition. It will only go to accessories. I just stick my finger up this hole and press this button and it goes to off and right out. Easy fix! But, it is stylish for the year and runs good. I love my Ion!! I can't wait to see how long it will last me!

Favorite Features

Durability, looks,

Suggested Improvements

Radio,

Happy owner since new
By cartopcamper

2003 Saturn ION 3 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We've owned since new a 2003 Saturn Ion 3 sedan with 5-speed manual transmission. It now has about 145K miles and is going strong. All of our 5 kids learned how to drive a stick in this car. The clutch finally needed replacement at 137K miles. I live in Southern California. While a daughter attended school near Boise, ID, I'd drive up a couple times a year via Nevada back roads. I wouldn't see another vehicle for hours while driving through the desert, so I'd drive 100 mph for long periods without a problem - still got great mpg. I still use this car if driving long trips by myself. Only problem for us was/is the ignition key switch issue - about $350 to fix, and I haven't yet

Favorite Features

1 MPG! 2 Being able to park anywhere and not worrying about dings. 3 I am glad we got the 5-speed manual trans as it seems people have problems with the CVT automatic. 4 Roomy for a little car. I'm 6'3 and have driven with 3 other adults 2000 miles round trip w/o complaint. 5. Good performance w manual trans, handles mountain roads and 100+ mph well. 6. Handles a small trailer well

Suggested Improvements

That darn ignition switch!

Very happy owner!
By ebeaudoin

2003 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car in March 2013 with 132,000 miles, now has 145,000 and I am very happy with it! Does great in the snow with All-Seasons. I commute 44 miles round trip a day, 5 days a week and this car just keeps on going and serving me well. Sure, I could find issues with it, but I think any issues are mostly due to its two previous owners and the fact that it's 11 years old with 145,000 miles. By the way, super glad I found one with a manual. So much fun!

Favorite Features

Efficiency, reliability, peppy 2.2L, comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

None

A Car To Keep
By adamdastmalchi

2003 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I got my used 2003 Saturn with only 30, 000 miles for $9,500 at a local Saturn dealership back in 2007. The clerks were very friendly. I have to say that there are way more pros than cons for this car. Of course, I do not live in a very cold environment, so I do not have start up issues. Gas mileage with only 12.5 gallons is amazing. This car came with a battery, and for four years I did not replace it. I should have found out how old it was, because I recently got a new one. This sucker is tough! It would still start, and the alternator was in great shape. It is very crash-safety and is very smooth on the road.

Favorite Features

My number one favorite thing is the gas mileage. For one, mine get's 23 in city and 29 on highway. The good thing about that is my tank only holds 12.5 gallons! And most other cars have bigger tanks (My mom's is 18.5). Other features are that it is luxurious. I can barely feel hitting bumps at all! The engine rarely needs any repairs. The speedometer is located in the middle, and this is safe!

Suggested Improvements

Cons: ignition cuts off but keys don't come out; trunk won't open with key; and back left window won't roll down now.

My blue baby
By thielgrad04

2003 Saturn ION 2 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5A)

I love my car. I have had it 8.5 years. I had 0% for 60 months. I paid it off. I did have to put a new tranny in for like 3k in 09' at around 80k miles and a new (used) ac compressor for about 420$ in 2010 as well as a new tail pipe/catalyc converter due to a tiny hole in the muffler that midas said wouldnt pass inspection, but other than that I haven't had any major repairs. I never broke down because of a car problem. In summer 2011, I was rear ended because the girl behind me didn't stop when I stopped behind a school bus and she cracked and messed up my back bumper on the drivers side. Bent the tailpipe (another replacement) but HER car's front end smashed up like an accordion!

Favorite Features

It was totaled for sure. A deer hit the passengers back door and put some nice cracks in it, but that was the extent of it. Didn't even move my car off the road or anything. Bummed but, still drivable. Only thing I'm not happy with is the mileage after the tranny. No one can seem to explain how I used to get like 300 miles to a full tank before the fuel light came on and then right after the tranny replacement, I'm lucky I get like 220 before the fuel light comes on. Everyone says that's my driving, but I haven't changed anything.

Suggested Improvements

When it rains and you open a door or trunk, water pours in. My seats are all stained due to only water. I tried cleaning them the proper way with the proper tools and that made em worse!