2009 Saturn Aura Consumer Review: Value wise, a much better choi

2009 Saturn Aura - Consumer Review

XE Sedan (2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Value wise, a much better choice than Malibu
By golftango on

2009 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my Aura new in Nov 2009 just as Saturn was exiting the business. Therefore I got an amazing deal. Options are the Comfort and Convenience packages which include power seat, auto dimming rear and side view mirror with compass, Homelink, Power Sunroof and Bluetooth. To date I have put 53K miles on my Aura. The only issues I had were a bad strut and faulty seat frame. Still on my original brakes and second set of tires. It still looks new inside and out. Quality materials have held up well and the paint is nice as it's thick and durable. The Aura is one of the quietest vehicles I've driven. It eats up highway miles and I never get uncomfortable or fatigued.

I really love the USB radio. With my iPhone, I can stream my music right through the stereo or use Pandora and the radio displays the Song Name/Artist. I can also use the Google Map application and get turn by turn directions right through the speakers, no need for navigation. I also appreciate the Aura's quiet ride and tall gearing. The 2.4L barely hits 2K RPM @ 60MPH. The night illumination is a night touch with LEDs that shine a subtle ambient light on the center console and lighting behind the door handles.

The amber illumination on the radio or cluster cannot be read in direct sunlight. With the use of hard plastics around the dash and console, I get occasional squeaks on rough pavement. The sunshade on the sunroof rattles. If it's not all the way open or shut, it makes annoying sounds. Just a bad design. The 6 speed automatic gets confused easily. It shifts too quickly to get to a higher gear. When you step on the gas to merge, it takes a few moments for the computer to react and downshift. It has made for a couple of scary merging situations. The transmission also does not shift smoothly in traffic situations when you're traveling less than 20-30MPH.