Used 2009 Saturn Aura Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Saturn Aura - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aura model:

Nice car
By straydogger

2009 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2009 in 2010 with 33000 miles. The only problems I've had are the trunk light has never worked for me. I've checked the bulb and fuses and no go. I've replaced the windshield wiper linkage twice. Not the motor..just the linkage. It's not a very good design I think. A metal ball in a plastic socket that is packed with grease. A rubber boot keeps the grease in but when it wears out it dries out and then the linkage falls off. Need to buy motor and linkage to really fix the problem. Driver's door speaker doesn't always work. Left rear door lock won't lock/unlock with the key fob. Small problems. All in all the car starts everyday and gets me where I want to go. That's what counts.

Value wise, a much better choice than Malibu
By golftango

2009 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my Aura new in Nov 2009 just as Saturn was exiting the business. Therefore I got an amazing deal. Options are the Comfort and Convenience packages which include power seat, auto dimming rear and side view mirror with compass, Homelink, Power Sunroof and Bluetooth. To date I have put 53K miles on my Aura. The only issues I had were a bad strut and faulty seat frame. Still on my original brakes and second set of tires. It still looks new inside and out. Quality materials have held up well and the paint is nice as it's thick and durable. The Aura is one of the quietest vehicles I've driven. It eats up highway miles and I never get uncomfortable or fatigued.

I really love the USB radio. With my iPhone, I can stream my music right through the stereo or use Pandora and the radio displays the Song Name/Artist. I can also use the Google Map application and get turn by turn directions right through the speakers, no need for navigation. I also appreciate the Aura's quiet ride and tall gearing. The 2.4L barely hits 2K RPM @ 60MPH. The night illumination is a night touch with LEDs that shine a subtle ambient light on the center console and lighting behind the door handles.

The amber illumination on the radio or cluster cannot be read in direct sunlight. With the use of hard plastics around the dash and console, I get occasional squeaks on rough pavement. The sunshade on the sunroof rattles. If it's not all the way open or shut, it makes annoying sounds. Just a bad design. The 6 speed automatic gets confused easily. It shifts too quickly to get to a higher gear. When you step on the gas to merge, it takes a few moments for the computer to react and downshift. It has made for a couple of scary merging situations. The transmission also does not shift smoothly in traffic situations when you're traveling less than 20-30MPH.

100K and still perfect
By aobg

2009 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought new in July 2009 - just turned 100K Have only replaced tires, wipers and rear shocks (dirt roads and potholes - yuck), oil & filter changes - everything else original including brakes. Avg @ 28 mpg summer, 26 winter. Maintenance at Buick/Cadillac dealer has been great! This is simply an extremely reliable car, with a great ride and handling, very quiet, good performance, comfortable, roomy and did I say reliable? Still looks new inside and out Rides far quieter than my friends Acura. I like it so much I am trying to find one for my daughter for a college graduation present.

The features that came standard - tilt and telescoping steering wheel, 6 spd, paddle shifters, traction/stability control, am/fm/xm/cd/aux in, OnStar pwr seat, keyless, six airbags are great. I bought the base model SE, with absolutely no options I drive a lot, and really appreciate the XM radio on long drives. The fuel economy is great - long trips at 75-80 mph I average @ 32mpg (rated at 33 hwy). My normal commuting/local business trips in city/suburban traffic fuel economy as noted above is pretty good too

In retrospect, I wish I had sprung for a couple options - heated mirrors, auto dim mirror with compass, but other than that - I bought a nicely equipped midsize for the price of a compact

please don't waste your money on this car
By judyann1

2009 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Please choose another vehicle, I gave my son my 2002 BMW for college graduation and purchased this car 3 months ago, What a mistake. The ESC traction lights keeps popping on and no one seems to know why. The dealerships are out to get your money, they say, let me do this, put this on, reset this, its a waste of your money. They don't know, but they gladly will take your money. I hate like hell I wasted my money on this piece of junk. GM ought to be ashamed of themselves putting this junk together. I'm going to trade it in and take whatever I can get for it. I will take the loss, but you can bet for sure, I won't be buying another GM product. I should have kept what I had. SAD

none, folks don't waste your money, just check on line for the many problems people are having with this car and the malibu, how I wish I had.

stop promoting these cars as if they are so great, and you know you can't even fix them.

Beware: Transmission problems
By hatetheaura

2009 Saturn Aura XR 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I will never buy a GM product again. My Aura only has 72,000 miles and the transmission has already broke. Trying to deal with GM is a joke. Everything from the dealership (Daniels Long Chevrolet) to customer service. Our warranty expired one month ago but am still 27,000 miles under the 100,000 mile mark and of course GM does not want to do anything about it. My car has been in the shop for over 5 days and I am constantly being told I have to pay more for diagnostics. How many error codes need to pop up for GM to admit they made lemon of a car. All GM cares about is getting you in the door, once you are there customer service is no longer cares.

none