2008 Saturn Aura 2.4L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews 3

2008 Saturn Aura - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aura model:

2008 Aura Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
A cheaper Audi?
By Patmajia

2008 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My family of 5 bought a 2.4 L Aura. With the 0% deal, it should cost less to buy, own, and drive 100k miles (incl. $5 gas) than a Camry hybrid. Outside, it looks a lot like the Audi A4; even the standard alloy wheels seem to copy those once offered on the Audi A4, a good car to copy. The red exterior with tan cloth and faux wood interior is gorgeous, but some plastic bits are low end. Only the Morocco leather (which you cannot get on the 4 cyl) is better. This car rides smoothly, and is quieter on the road at 70 mph than the 2008 Accord and is about even with the 2008 camry I test drove. It's quick enough for us. The 5 year 100k standard drivetrain warranty should make for low hassle ownership.

Favorite Features

Looks great. Has character; not sterile and common. Quiet. Smooth. Price/financing very good. Warranty very good. Crash test results good.

Suggested Improvements

Six speed auto that's in the XR instead of the four speed auto might add $500 to price, but worth it. Better interior materials and less cheap looking/feeling plastic might add $500. Driver's seat is hard, and even with 8 way adjust is not as comfy as mom's 25 year old Cadillac bench seat.

Awesome Bang for the Buck
By AC

2008 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have owned 2 other "economy" Saturns and this one beats them all hands down. Looked at the Subaru models and simply could not justify the pricing. Fell in love with the size, styling and features. All things considered I love driving this car and feel like I finally own a luxury car.

Favorite Features

Smooth acceleration, ultra quiet interior, awesome interior lighting, luxury exterior, OnStar & XM radio, all the safety airbags

Suggested Improvements

Blind spot due to wide pillars at either side of windshield; loose change drawer on driver's side dashboard keeps popping open; more consistent gas mileage-started out local at 24 mpg and am now down to 18mpg after 2 months driving(got 29-32 consistent on my Ion)

It's a strong buy
By jb

2008 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Dollar for dollar the Saturn Aura is an outstanding car. The lines of the exterior really look like a more expensive car. We drove the XR and found that there was too much torque and HP for our needs. Also, drove the Malibu. Chevy has more interesting interiors, but, the people at Saturn seem a bit more consumer friendly. The inline 4 has good power and the sound and vibration damping are really well done.

Favorite Features

Nice option packages make for some great features on this reasonably priced car. Remote start and satellite radio.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the upscale XR convience and safety features should be available on the XE. We don't all need the HP of the six. Wish we could have gotten the prettier rims on the XE that are available on the XR!

American Cars are Back!!
By jackflash

2008 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Thank you Saturn for building a car that that finally shows that America is back. As a owner of Japanese cars for the past three years I thought that was the best you can get for a 4 cylinder. The Aura proved me wrong, this car is a quality built vehicle with attention to detail. From the chrome trim rocker panels to the solid closing trunk lid, ambient lighting, trim details, XM radio, smooth shifting, comfortable and supportive seats this car is impressive. The exterior color midnight blue with tan interior and wood trim is awesome for a car in the price category. The paint job is excellent to go, the ride and handling is like the car is on rails, way to go. Plus this car turns heads!!

Favorite Features

XM radio, 17" wheels, interior finish, styling, comfortable seats, smooth shift transmission, quiet interior,ambient lights

Suggested Improvements

Need 5 speed! Display washes out in sun!

Good purchase
By diphill

2008 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Just perchased the XE 2.4, It handles like a V6, plenty of power and great gas mileage. It's a pleasure to drive, feels tight on the road. Looks like GM finally got it right with this one. Plenty of storage and interior is tastefully done. Exterior looks like an expensive car without the price tag. I've only owned it for about a week and can't say anything bad about it. Very happy, they've earned my respect.

Favorite Features

Interior design, very quiet on the road, plenty of pick up for a 2.4

Suggested Improvements

Larger steering wheel controls

Great Commuter
By berne1

2008 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Got the Aura XE 4-cyl last month to replace my ION. What a step up! This is the first in a long time I've returned to the same manufacturer (had two Acuras in a row in the early '90s). Went for the 4-cyl because of price & MPG (commter car). It has a lot of nice unexpected touches- -the auto-up driver's window, interior "mood lighting", telescoping steering wheel, cargo nets. Wasn't expecting any of that in this level Aura. Interior is very quiet. 6- speaker stereo is above average for a base system. Large trunk. Good power. I really like the styling, one of my top reasons for purchase. It looks more expensive than it is.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, quiet interior, decent base stereo. Unexpected features (cargo nets, "mood" lighting, telescoping wheel, auto-up window. 4- cylinder has good power. Tons of safety features.

Suggested Improvements

Would have liked a 6-speed automatic. No "manual" mode for automatic. Electric power steering has play at highway speeds. Can't permanently disable DRLs (had to pull a relay to do this). No assist handle (likely due to the curtain airbags). Thick A-pillars take some getting used to.

Surprised by the 2.4L 4 engine
By Rex

2008 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the 4cyl model for the mileage, and though I test drove the car extensively, I'm still impressed that 2.3 liters moves the car well. I'm now getting 31mpg on the highway driving about 70ish. The mileage improved after a few thousand miles and a change to synthetic oil. I installed a low-flow Airhog air filter and the power and mileage improved! Impressive handling, and styling. A small drawback is the visibility. Overall a fantastic deal for the money.

Favorite Features

Styling, comfort and good mileage for its size. My wife drives an Accord, but this Aura gets all the good comments.

Suggested Improvements

Thinner rear roof pillar. Less plastic inside, but every car needs that improvement.

Not my Impala
By lb0456

2008 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I sold my 2000 Impala and bought the Saturn Aura XE 6cyl. My Impala got 30mpg on the freeway at 70mph. I'm a bit disappointed in the Aura. It's supposed to get 32mph highway. If I keep it at 60 it might get that but who drives 60 anymore? Right now I'm getting about 27mph. Not impressive. I find it hard to get a comfortable temperature with the heater also. Love the XM radio and OnStar and the interior is very nice and comfortable. And I still prefer cloth seats to leather even with the heated seats so wish I had cloth. Very roomy trunk. Good visibility. Good get up and go when passing.

Favorite Features

OnStar, XM radio and lumbar adjustment.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. And hard to see digital display because of glare.

Great car, "This is a Saturn?"
By Alex

2008 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After 1000 miles I'm very happy with my Aura. I compared Camry, Altima, Accord, Milan, and Legacy. The Aura won easily for the best combination of styling, performance, and value. I was very satisfied with the performance of the smaller V6 but wanted to get the dark interior with Moroccan leather which is not available on the XE. Not too crazy about the auto dimming mirrors that keeps me from seeing behind me when I back out of my driveway due to my neighbors porch light. I'm not to keen on the automatic climate control, zero fan speed should mean fan off. It still blows lightly meaning you have to play with the temp setting to avoid getting cooked or frozen). I miss manual controls.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, styling both inside and out. Good low end torque which allows decent acceleration without needing to rev the snot out of the engine. 29 to 33 highway MPG. Kickin stereo. Excellent handling. smooth, quiet, powerful

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable sensitivity on auto dimming mirrors as well as disable when in reverse. More manual control over the climate control system. Better city MPG. (only getting 12-15) Moraccan leather and dark interior available on XE 3 or 4 display lines for trip computer instead of only one.

Aura
By dutchman

2008 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent so far. Tire pressure monitor saved my tire. Good honest 29 mpg on highway.

Favorite Features

Radio with aux input

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer suspension