2007 Saturn Aura XE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Saturn Aura - Consumer Reviews

2007 Aura Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aura model:

Sort Reviews by

Unreliable
By cperone87

2007 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2007 Saturn Aura used with just under 80k miles. Having owned a 1999 Saturn SL2 for 8 years and having good luck with it, i decided to try again. Big mistake. 2 weeks into ownership, the power steering fluid was leaking. The whole steering rack had to be replaced. Luckily, the dealer i bought it from did it for free. 2 months into ownership, i thought i had a bad wheel bearing. Turns out it was the output shaft bearing to the Transmission, which meant a whole new transmission. Luckily i bought a 2 year warranty on it. During the transmission repair, i was informed that the engine's rear seal was leaking. This is only the beginning, and i pray it does not continue.

Favorite Features

The Aura is a great looking car, very similar to the Chevy Malibu, but better looking in my opinion. It has power and is not absolutely terrible on gas. The interior is comfortable, and it is enjoyable to drive. Unfortunately, looks only go so far, as the car is not reliable mechanically.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to build cars that last if they want to compete with Toyota or Subaru. After 80,000 miles my transmission failed. Something is wrong with that picture. I can understand things happening to a car that is 7 years old, but a transmission is no simple inexpensive repair. It is safe to say i am done with GM.

Do not buy a Saturn aura!
By kelly080

2007 Saturn Aura XR 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is by far the worst car I have ever had. This car has had issues ever since the day I bought it 5 years ago. To name a few... Replaced the alternator, brakes work opposite of how they should ( when I press the brake pedal the lights go off and visa versa), problems with the starter (still haven't resolved), cruise control doesn't work, Radio doesn't turn off when I turn off my car or open the door, and most recently spent over 2000 dollars to have the wave plates replaced in the transmission. Wouldn't recommend this car to my worst enemy.

Favorite Features

Heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Everything

All style, no substance
By dmm1277ny

2007 Saturn Aura XR 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I am the 2nd owner of this Aura XR. I brought it in Mar 2011 with 10,200 miles on it. It's a beautiful looking, well-optioned car with good performance and handling. I cannot wait to be rid of it because it has zero reliability. Its been to 2 different dealers in the past 3 months for electrical/computer issues which can not be found. They car will refuse to crank after short trips, then restart on its own after 10-15 minutes, usually accompanied by a random warning light (never the same one). Both trips to the dealer were the result of all gauges malfunctioning, all warning lights & messages coming on, and all electrical systems (like traction control) shutting off while driving.

Favorite Features

The car is well optioned, with great performance from the 3.6L V6 and 6spd auto. It handles well and delivers good fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

GM should really issue a recall based on all the forums I've read where other Aura owners have identical problems with their cars, which usually cannot be resolved.

Wouldn't buy another one.
By wiguy87

2007 Saturn Aura XR 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car used in spring 2011 had 50,000 miles on it and I have over 90,000 on it now, I loved it at 1st, drove really nice and smooth, but being over 90,000 i'm not liking it so much, it already getting rusty on the trunk lid, took it to the dealer ship and said that it would keep coming back after they fix it cause of how the design is, it would keep collecting salt and what not from the road. And the car is pretty noise when your going a certain speed on the interstate, the rotors make noise and shakes. And they could of made the inside alot better.. I've been trying to sell it/trade it in.. but happen to owe to much on it.. but when I owe lesser on it, I'm so gonna get rid of it.

Favorite Features

Very sharp

Not vying well after 90,000 miles
By rollo

2007 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car rides like a lumber wagon on streets that aren't in great shape. It has to stiff of a suspension and I have over a 100,000 miles on it isn't holding up like a car made in Japan would. The brakes are to small for comfortable stopping, I have vibration and shaking in my rotors. Looks great but for the long haul I wouldn't recommend.

Favorite Features

Looks of the car and a great ride on a smooth highway.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension, fuel mileage, trunk, reliability, and brakes

Last Gasp
By UlaMle

2007 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

For it's price this car is unbeatble. And I've owned some really great cars: a grandsport corvette, a '72 T-Bird, a Datsun 280-Z... to name a few. Best mpg is 33 highway 22 average. Corners like it's on tracks. Extremely reliable and easy to own. My original tires are just now wearing out at 63,000+ miles. My opinion, just before a brand "breathes its last breath" the manufacturer produces something fantastic. Others in this catefory: Studebaker Avanti, AMC 390cid, Oldsmobile Aurora multiple year INDY winner. Too bad the manufacturers don't have better vision

Favorite Features

extreme reliability and excellent handling with tight bucket seats.

Suggested Improvements

loose the traction control feature; I usually turn it off.

Follow-Up To My Review On 4/11/2009
By Robert

2007 Saturn Aura XR 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

It's 13 months later, and now I know that I cannot get another NEW Saturn ... I guess I'll just have to keep this one; right now, I"m OK with that. This car continues to prove it's worth. My next one would have been Saturn #5. I'm now approaching 50,000 miles, and have owned it 2 yrs, 11 days. I've replaced the worn rear brake pads, and have machined the front disc brake rotors (due to intense pulsations when braking at higher speeds). The tires STILL HAVE 8/32" of tread, and they STILL drive nicely. Folks still compliment me on it's looks ("That's a Saturn ??"). The car is STILL a pleasure to drive! Next Car= Ford, Lincoln, Chevy SS, or Cadillac

Favorite Features

I really like the interior of this car.. it's still "tight". Unlike some of the other reviews , I've had ZERO problems with the interior. Confession: The wireless headphones for the rear passengers... I should have put the batteries in them, before trying to act like "Mr. Bigshot". (LOL)

Suggested Improvements

I would have made the sunroof in this car, like previous Saturn sunroofs. ie- This one flips-up at an angle, and then goes back (still angled). Previous Sunroofs flattened-out after initial opening, and went directly into the body of the car... no "wedged look" when the sunroof was fully open.

Beauty and the Beast
By Windell

2007 Saturn Aura XR 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

When I first heard about this car I said, "Aura Who", until I did my du- diligence on this car. I test drove the XE V6 and it was peppy than drove XR V6 and it was awesome. It amazing how 25 horse power makes a differences in performance. I had a 300zx twin turbo and it was very fast but compared with this sports sedan it's almost the same experience. Cornering is tight and 6.5 to 6.8 in the 0-60. With the big 18" wheels this makes the car look aggressive and handsome at the same time.

Favorite Features

18" alloy wheels, Interior color (morrocco brown), heated seats and mirrors, it's quickness, sound system and remote start.

Suggested Improvements

Surrounded by plastic inside, need middle arm rest for the back, nice to have a toggle switch for ride control

Great Vehicle
By Joe

2007 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I really like my 2007 Aura. The car is fun to drive and honestly, it feels like i am sitting in a much more expensive car. It performs great and has more than enough pick-up and despite many negative reviews, i like how the vehicle brakes. The car is very quiet, so much so that with out the radio on and doing 70 on the highway, i heard virtually nothing.

Favorite Features

Engine, Sunroof, ambient lighting, handling, overall look (both interior and exterior)

Great deal
By Bob

2007 Saturn Aura XE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Saturn XE with a 3.5 V6 for a few months now. Highway mileage is well over 30 mpg, maybe 36. Mixed mileage is 28 mpg. Plenty of power, average ride for smoothness. Seats are a little narrow on the bottom and I'm not big. Had a few small problems that the dealer promptly fixed. Trunk is a nice size, fits my golf clubs no problem. With power assist seat I wouldn't spend the extra money on full power. Quiet ride. Dealer has no problem finding parts or fixing this car. Warranty is 5 yr 160,000 kilometers on powertrain. So far so good, for the money you won't find anything nicer than a Saturn aura. If you can find one. The Malibu is a better car but too new for my price range.