Used 2008 Saturn Astra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Saturn Astra

View reviews for a specific Astra model:

9000 miles and loving it!
By TMO

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After extensive research I purchased an Astra and absolutely love it! Opel really knows how to build a great small car. The exterior design is sharp and practical. The interior materials quality/fit and finish is on par with Audi but what impresses me the most is the suspension. You get the feeling that it is over built for our roads. It feels stout, connected and very safe around corners, in traffic and at highway speeds. It soaks up bad road with that solid thump you get from premium sedans. Sure, having access to the turbo diesel or the 250 HP turbo motor would have been nice, but the 1.8 is economical (32 mpg) and has plenty zip especially around town. No regrets even with Saturn gone.

Favorite Features

Suspension. rain sensing wipers, hatchback utility onboard display.

new 2008 for 2010
By reignpua

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought an 08 2dr auto new 74 miles on it two weeks ago. I have drive 700 miles thus far and love it . i did notice some wind noise from the windows on the freeway like they dont seal well. The car is very impresive overall. Handelling is better than my celica! weird!?

Favorite Features

the back of the car is a thing of beauty.

Suggested Improvements

super charger

Update at 5k miles
By MGGDTW

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Astra owners, check to make sure your lights, exterior and dash lights are not flickering when using your intermittent wipers feature. I also noticed a relay clicking when this happens. It has been addressed at my local dealer and after 2 weeks in the shop now its been determined that its a faulty part called the VEC module. Other than this small bug the car has still been on par and very fun to drive. Just a faulty suppliers part that has nothing to do with build quality. I'm still 100% happy with my Astra!

Favorite Features

solid handling, dual panel moon roof, nice leather, smooth power band

Suggested Improvements

Too many buttons and functions on the steering wheel and radio controls. Could be a lot simpler with less buttons. Maybe uptune it for 10-15 more horsepower.

quality + luxury meets practicality
By chris

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A pleasant surprise i have an automatic XR handles better ont he corners that my 2003 mitsubishi eclipse gt --- what? i know i could not beleive it either

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING

Suggested Improvements

rear windshield visibilty is beyond weak, im shocked no one else pointed this out, and the antana is akwardly feminine, besides that absolutely nothing nothing

Stylish and Practical
By salsa xr3

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Saturn Astra has been a surprising treat for me. It has all I need in transportation at this point in my life. Stylish and economical (34mpg on the road) 27 around town with the 4 speed automatic on regular gas. I have the leather interior option and the CD40 Opera cd/radio with on board computer that makes keeping track of that fuel mileage a breeze. It is solid to drive, brakes are fantastic, firm and sure. Holds four easily and comfortably. Another surprise very little wind noise, even with the windows down. I chose the 3 door because of the length of the doors. I am 6'4" and have plenty of leg and head room. A/c is standard and effective. I look forward to many happy miles.

Favorite Features

The styling, build quality, performance, and economy; also the dealer experience is very comforting. I feel like a friend when I show up there.

Suggested Improvements

I hope Penske can carry on with Saturn. I know I have a orphan here. One of the best cars GM Opel have built. I Have had four previous used Opels and was really glad to be able to buy a new one with the latest technology and a warranty. The 2010 Astra is just out in Europe. Can't wait to see it.