2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astra model:
Loves It!
By Sara on 03/22/09 11:36 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Astra! I replaced my '92 Honda Civic with the Astra and I am very pleased with my decision. It is extremely fun to drive and the handling is responsive. I enjoy the speed-proportional steering; I find that it makes driving in the city effortless. The ride on the highway is smooth. The brakes are great. The acceleration is more than I expected. It really has some get up and go! This car feels very solid and well-made.

My Astra-A Great Decision
By jaxjack92 on 03/22/09 06:48 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Easiest handling,most comfortable, best fuel economy of the 5 Saturns I have bought or leased.

More Fun han Any Other Compact
By Don on 03/19/09 15:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The last time I had this much fun was driving my 1975 Opel Manta (imported by Buick), and the Astra (another Opel) handles even better. Previously I drove a VW Golf which my Astra with sports suspension beats hands down. It's no wonder the Astra sales have been neck and neck with Golfs in Europe for 5 years. The solid fit and finish, and classy interior rival my co-worker's BMW 5 series. It's quieter than any of the various midsize cars I've rented on trips (I can actually hear the nuances of a jazz CD at 70 mph). And what's more practical than a small hatchback? Once you read the quicky instructions, the computer controls are a snap. The best small car GM has sold.

Great fun car
By Bryan on 03/13/09 15:49 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Love it sporty and very different not many on road so make poeple ask what is it.

Fine European Car Sold as a Saturn
By Jim on 02/18/09 16:30 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am 6'2", and many small cars won't work. This one does. I have all options on this car, including the sport package. The handling is excellent, and the steering is very quick. The mileage is about what the EPA estimates, although it falls off at speeds around 70 mph or higher. I am a fan of European cars, and this fills the bill without costing an arm and a leg (I have owned 3 Volvos, a Mercedes and a BMW).

My First Car
By Patrice on 02/18/09 06:55 AM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Saturn Astra is my first car and I'm extremely happy with it. I like the European look and that the 3 door model isn't as popular as other cars in its class yet. I got an amazing deal on it because the dealership was cleaning out all the '08's. I saved about $7000 and got my windows tinted for half price. Other cars I was considering were Pontiac G5, Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Hyundai Accent and Ford Focus.

Nice Astra!
By B-Dog on 02/09/09 16:30 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

In one weeek, I've put over 1,500 miles on my Astra XR 3-Door, and I've enjoyed every single one of them. I traded in a 2005 Saab 9-3 Sedan, and I like this car even better (and I loved my Saab). My car had 3,500 miles on it when I purchased, and though not perfect, it's very close. It's very solid, handles beautifully, feels quicker than the numbers say, and looks hot (esp. in Salsa Red)! The manual transmission and clutch work very well, the steering wheel controls are very useful and not THAT hard to figure out (they give you a book for 'em - read it!!), the seats are terrific on long trips, and the brakes are great! My 30 MPG combined average doesn't hurt either.

A lot of car for the money
By Dick on 02/06/09 22:17 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving for 64 years and most of my cars have been manuals. I wanted a manual but the shifters were stiffer and less accurate than my previous manuals cars so I decided on an automatic and I haven't been disappointed. Another car that I still drive has a turbo which is very quick but my Astra gives me more than enough pickup for urban traffic.

Will GM get the Astra message?
By Mark B on 01/23/09 10:05 AM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Astra is the second best selling car in Europe. Owner reviews on Edmunds and Yahoo are 95% favorable and gushing with favorable comments on this little gem. Yet, GM and Saturn hardly advertise it. Makes you wonder why our USA-based automotive companies have a problem selling cars. This car will blow Corolla, Civic and other imports out of the market if GM handles it right. Tweak it to get better mileage (28/36), add some engine options, add overdrive, add a auxiliary audio input port, etc. and it will sell (Build it and they will come....remember that GM?). I am from Detroit and want our Detroit-based auto companies to succeed big time. Listen to the consumer and build the Astra!

A great all-around car
By hiker on 01/13/09 17:52 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great handling, great mpg (30-32 in everyday driving). Good enough go, but get the manual transmission. Perfect for 2 people, 3 dogs, a week of luggage, and 2 bikes (hitch mount). The only cars that I considered in the same class were the Audi A3 and the VW GTI. The Astra (with the sport suspension) has it all except for the horsepower - all else is perfect, and at a great price! A good compromise of performance, fun, functionality, and economy.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.