Used 2008 Saturn Astra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Saturn Astra

View reviews for a specific Astra model:

36,000 Miles In
By Tom

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second review. I've had the car for 2 yrs and 36,000 miles. While I still like it, I'm looking to get rid of it now. Still have the same interior rattles plus some new ones. Had to have the driver's seat cover replaced, never had one of those wear out before. AC is now "pulsing" but after my lousy experience with the local Chevy dealer as an "Authorized Saturn Service Center" I'm afraid to bring it in for service. My mileage has gone down, I think it's because there is ethanol in the fuel, but 25 mpg on the highway, I might as well drive an SUV.

Favorite Features

All the luxury features that didn't cost extra.

Suggested Improvements

Screen the "Authorized Saturn Service Centers" better.

Hidden Gem
By San Costantino

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

There is no accounting for taste. The American public really missed out not making the Astra a huge hit. This car handles like a sports car and is built like a high end European luxury car. The car exudes quality throughout. Knock on wood for over tow years it has been trouble free. It looks better than anything it competes against. Too bad we can not get the 2011 model, I would go out and acquire one tomorrow. This is one great car that is going to be a rare classic in the future.

Needs
By astra

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This could have been a nice car, but like so many other small cars it's a DOG with NO option to get much needed HP and Torque. Just sold mine because I just cannot deal with the lack of power any longer.

Favorite Features

That I sold it this week

Don't pass one up if you get the chance
By dolorean36

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Astra XR 5dr has been great. So much fun to drive through the twisties. Fits all kinds of stuff, with or without kids. I drive it constantly for work and the A/C never quits, I consistantly get 30 mpg city and highway, drives well in snow and ice, and is very comfortably over vast distances. Its incredibly easy to change the oil and to change the spark plugs. The big sunroof works effortlessly.

Favorite Features

Love the sunroof, the short throw 5spd shifter, the easy clutch, the spot on steering, the effortless manueverability, the gas mileage (burps at 10 gals at fillup, goes 310 miles), stereo is topshelf in sound, solid build quality, interior very nicely appointed especially if you get leather.

Suggested Improvements

Problems have been few. The paint aint the best especially around the rear bumper. I've had a TPMS sensor problem that GM hasn't been able to figure out. Took me reading the owners manual to figure out cruise control. Stereo is awesome but no MP3 jack. Only one pwr jack. Cup holder not for americans

Fun to drive
By Sandyfeet

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned the car for two years and it is a lot of fun to drive. Very good handling, solid feel, good acceleration and very good fuel economy. My street bicycle fits in the back so it won't get stolen like it could with a bike rack. My remote control model airplanes fit in the back as well (even with the bike). Nice car.

Favorite Features

Great handling. No repairs.

Suggested Improvements

An ipod input would have been nice. I fixed that with an aftermarket in-line modulator so the ipod works well now.