2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astra model:
9000 miles and loving it!
By TMO on 01/01/10 12:13 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After extensive research I purchased an Astra and absolutely love it! Opel really knows how to build a great small car. The exterior design is sharp and practical. The interior materials quality/fit and finish is on par with Audi but what impresses me the most is the suspension. You get the feeling that it is over built for our roads. It feels stout, connected and very safe around corners, in traffic and at highway speeds. It soaks up bad road with that solid thump you get from premium sedans. Sure, having access to the turbo diesel or the 250 HP turbo motor would have been nice, but the 1.8 is economical (32 mpg) and has plenty zip especially around town. No regrets even with Saturn gone.

new 2008 for 2010
By reignpua on 11/01/09 12:38 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought an 08 2dr auto new 74 miles on it two weeks ago. I have drive 700 miles thus far and love it . i did notice some wind noise from the windows on the freeway like they dont seal well. The car is very impresive overall. Handelling is better than my celica! weird!?

Update at 5k miles
By MGGDTW on 10/15/09 14:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Astra owners, check to make sure your lights, exterior and dash lights are not flickering when using your intermittent wipers feature. I also noticed a relay clicking when this happens. It has been addressed at my local dealer and after 2 weeks in the shop now its been determined that its a faulty part called the VEC module. Other than this small bug the car has still been on par and very fun to drive. Just a faulty suppliers part that has nothing to do with build quality. I'm still 100% happy with my Astra!

quality + luxury meets practicality
By chris on 09/25/09 11:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A pleasant surprise i have an automatic XR handles better ont he corners that my 2003 mitsubishi eclipse gt --- what? i know i could not beleive it either

Stylish and Practical
By salsa xr3 on 09/05/09 13:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Saturn Astra has been a surprising treat for me. It has all I need in transportation at this point in my life. Stylish and economical (34mpg on the road) 27 around town with the 4 speed automatic on regular gas. I have the leather interior option and the CD40 Opera cd/radio with on board computer that makes keeping track of that fuel mileage a breeze. It is solid to drive, brakes are fantastic, firm and sure. Holds four easily and comfortably. Another surprise very little wind noise, even with the windows down. I chose the 3 door because of the length of the doors. I am 6'4" and have plenty of leg and head room. A/c is standard and effective. I look forward to many happy miles.

The hidden gem
By G.C. on 08/12/09 01:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the Astra of well over a year now and the longer I have driven it the more I love it. This car exudes quality from bumper to bumper. The handling is extraordinary and the fit and finish is superb. Every interior component is quilt with quality. This car drives like a proper German car should. I have driven the comparable Toyota and Mazda offering that sell well int his class and the Astra absolutely blows them away. This excellent vehicle will become a collectible when the public gets word of great it is and how it was only available in one vintage.

The best unknown vehicle out there...
By RN on 08/05/09 06:22 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car still amazes me on the build quality, handling, style, and gas mileage. This is by far the best unknown car in the market, it boggles my mind how GM didn’t market this car. For any of the few people that have complaints they are either haters or just will complain about everything. For the price I paid: $19,980 - $5000 dealer incentive, $4500 clunker trade, $1000 supplier discount, I bought this car for $10,950 out the door. I have the 3 door XR 5 speed with leather, tinted windows, tuned sport suspension, stabiltrac, heated seats and mirrors, moisture sensing wipers, onstar for a year, dual lighted vanity mirrors, onboard computer, tire pressure readout, and the list keeps going.

Over 2 Months and Honeymoon's not Over
By jbta on 08/03/09 03:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got a silver well-equipped coupe a few months ago and I love it. Still look back at it adoringly when I leave it in a parking lot. I drive sensibly and have averaged 30.8 mpg so far. The interior is very comfortable for me, and I like the unusual radio/temp controls (and you CAN make the display backlight stay black - under Settings and Day/Night). Not the most powerful car I've driven but unless I'm going up a mountain with the AC on I don't notice sluggishness. Wish I could plug in my iPod and I have yet to see how it handles in winter weather, but overall I'm very, very pleased. Any car I'd enjoy more would have left me broke.

Mine was 12k out the door - REBATES!
By Neckbone on 08/02/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love it, even though I have only had it four 2 days. I have to announce...with the Cash 4 Cars ($4,500), Dealer ($2,000) and manuf. ($2,500) rebates I walked out the door paying 12K for a 21K sticker! Saturn is closing out this model...RUN and get one! Much better than anything you will find at the price!

1st long trip....
By sanjosejohn on 07/24/09 15:15 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my saturn xr hatchback for 16 months and took it from San Jose, Calif to Jasper Nat'l Park in Alberta, Canada. Then down through Montana, Idaho, Wash, and Oregon for 3500mi. trip. The Car ran 10hrs a day in total comfort, with the a/c on, and 75- 80mph. Did not have a single little, tiny problem at all! Got an average of 30-32mpg the entire trip. Even hit snow at Crater Lake, Oregon, when the traction control snowflake symbol came on the info screen. What a surprise!! This car is super cool, handles like my old BMW 2002. Get this vehicle over the vw golf(rabbit)whatever, or any other compact. The warranty is 5/50k which is great. This is the most your getting for the price. Trust me

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.