2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astra model:
Needs
By astra on 05/21/10 19:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This could have been a nice car, but like so many other small cars it's a DOG with NO option to get much needed HP and Torque. Just sold mine because I just cannot deal with the lack of power any longer.

Don't pass one up if you get the chance
By dolorean36 on 05/17/10 17:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Astra XR 5dr has been great. So much fun to drive through the twisties. Fits all kinds of stuff, with or without kids. I drive it constantly for work and the A/C never quits, I consistantly get 30 mpg city and highway, drives well in snow and ice, and is very comfortably over vast distances. Its incredibly easy to change the oil and to change the spark plugs. The big sunroof works effortlessly.

Fun to drive
By Sandyfeet on 04/17/10 17:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned the car for two years and it is a lot of fun to drive. Very good handling, solid feel, good acceleration and very good fuel economy. My street bicycle fits in the back so it won't get stolen like it could with a bike rack. My remote control model airplanes fit in the back as well (even with the bike). Nice car.

Love my Astra
By Cybergal on 03/12/10 11:07 AM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I sincerely wish GM would import the new 2011 Astra as a Buick. This is the best small car I have ever driven. It feels bigger than it is. Drives quiet with excellent handling precision.

5000 miles - GREAT BUY !!
By ACruz on 02/03/10 18:56 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought a great piece of art ! Astra XR Cpe. Well put together interior, fit and finish with high quality materials, very solid and firm ride & handling, on the exterior, I love the headlamps along with the chrome pieces on the upper and lower grilles and needless to say rear quarter & dlid outstanding style, plus 32 mpg...

Should have been yellow not red
By Bonnie on 01/20/10 16:32 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car brand new, drove it off the lot, the next the low tire pressure light came, they reset it, then the engine light came on, they reset it, the dash rattled they put some packing in it, the windows leak, they said it was the way it was, the engine light came on, they reset it over and over and over, put in a new sensor it came back on, the battery went dead, they replaced the sensor, the abs and traction control light came on, the low tire pressure light came on, the doors lock themselves and the engine surges and dies - they reset it. Anybody want a lemon???

Steal of the year 2
By matt on 01/17/10 20:24 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Same here. Got the 3rd to last one left in MI (Just after x-mas). They were less new than a typical used one and sales tax deductable too, warranty, etc. Got the dealer to throw in a second set of wheels for $100 (for winter tires). It has not been driven much, but seems to have tight handling and rides pretty good for what it is meant to be. My wife wanted an auto, but go for the manual, the auto is a little disappointing (only a 4sp auto) and the enigine is a little rougher running than the 1.8L in my son's Vibe. Great looks and is a pretty practical car. Not worthy of the $21,000 list, but at $12,400 it sure is.

Steal of the year
By Hoagie on 01/02/10 18:45 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just picked up a brand new 2008 white XR 2 door. I believe it was the last 5 speed manual in Michigan. I had driven the same exact car in black in May of 2008, but wasn't ready to pay almost sticker for it. With the $8k off, I couldn't say no this time. I love the leather heated seats in the Michigan winter. I don't love the summer wheel package and bought some Goodyear F1 A/S the minute I left the dealership. With the price I paid, I can overlook the small issues, like the cupholder, and the 5 speed makes the engine tolerable. I find no fault with the ride or comfort. It is a beautiful car, and 2 guys at work told me so the first day. so far I am very pleased.

9000 miles and loving it!
By TMO on 01/01/10 12:13 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After extensive research I purchased an Astra and absolutely love it! Opel really knows how to build a great small car. The exterior design is sharp and practical. The interior materials quality/fit and finish is on par with Audi but what impresses me the most is the suspension. You get the feeling that it is over built for our roads. It feels stout, connected and very safe around corners, in traffic and at highway speeds. It soaks up bad road with that solid thump you get from premium sedans. Sure, having access to the turbo diesel or the 250 HP turbo motor would have been nice, but the 1.8 is economical (32 mpg) and has plenty zip especially around town. No regrets even with Saturn gone.

new 2008 for 2010
By reignpua on 11/01/09 12:38 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought an 08 2dr auto new 74 miles on it two weeks ago. I have drive 700 miles thus far and love it . i did notice some wind noise from the windows on the freeway like they dont seal well. The car is very impresive overall. Handelling is better than my celica! weird!?

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Saturn Astra in WA is:

$145 per month*