Used 2008 Saturn Astra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astra model:

Can't Wait To Drive It Next!
By jon_e_quest

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a German car and set my budget at $18K. Looked at new 2DR Rabbits, used Jettas, and used MINIs. Read lots of bad reviews on Edmunds about MINIs. The Jetta really does look like a Corolla. And the 2DR Rabbit lacked many features I wanted that only came on 4DRs. And it looks like a phonebooth compared to the Astra (Opel). Astra offers so many more standard features than the other cars in it's class. And features like rain-sensing wipers, pedal release system, driver information center, & 1 year OnStar aren't even available on the competition. Astra handles the curves beautifully. The VVT engine revs freely thru the gears. And it's gorgeous European styling is unsurpassed.

Great mileage. Awesome looks. Great handling. Heated seats. Steering wheel audio controls. Overhead sunglass storage. Heated mirrors. Tire pressure monitor system. Projector beam headlamps/foglamps. Excellent warranty.

GM needs to offer more accessories, some already available to Astra owners worldwide. Winter wheel/tire pkgs are needed for owners in the snowbelt. More powerful stereo w/iPod connectivity. Dead pedal/footrest is needed. And for everyone's sake, GM, make more of an effort to promote this car!!!

Doing great at 6,000 miles
By Terri

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first new car I have ever owned, and I am more than impressed with it. It is fun to drive, and has the aura of a much higher priced car about it. The gas mileage has also been good (30 overall and close to 40 on the highway). The only thing I would change is the cupholder in the center console. It is very awkward to reach so far back to retrieve a drink from the driver's seat.

Fun to drive, good gas mileage

Move the cupholder

Love it
By ccran

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my Pontiac Torrent for this little gem. At first my thought was what have I done? But the same day I got the car we were hit with ice and snow (Michigan) had to drive on I75, as I watched other cars struggle, I just went along. The car handled beautifully. For me how a car handles in bad weather is so important. This one passed the test with flying colors. It doesn't hurt that it's so sharp and I love the interior.

Handling

Cupholder, who puts a cup holder so far behind the driver.

Fuel Economy - Awful
By SM

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive car. Awful fuel economy! I drive mainly on the highway and this car gets the worst fuel economy I have ever seen with a "economy" car. 8.6L/100KM mostly driving at 110-115 KM/HR and 50-60km/hr in city (90% of km on highway)

Nice interior design and european controls. It's great to see those items here in Canada.

What was GM thinking with the fuel economy? No wonder they are losing out to Toyota and Honda. First and last time I will buy a GM product.

Nothing else compares
By dzajic

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A great car for an amazing price. The competition (Honda Fit, Mazda 3, VW Rabbit) don't come close. Look what the Fit (closest competitor) is missing: seat height adj, sunroof, rain-sensing wipers, integrated roof rack mounting points, stability/traction control (without navigation), 17" wheels (225 vs 185 wide tires), high quality interior, rear map lights, vanity lights, heated mirrors, express down windows (all doors), 4-wheel disc brakes, OnStar system, 5 years Roadside Assist. rigid rear cargo cover, 6 disc changer, dual trip/fuel economy meters, pedal release system, 4% heavier but 18% more hp/torque, max torque at lower rpm (3800 vs 4800)

Ingenious Driver information center (only techies like me will really appreciate it's simple brilliance), huge panoramic sunroof, Euro. styling, brake power/feel, handling/cornering, solid build, door weight

Sliding/extendable sun visors (like Lexus). That about all I can think of.