2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astra model:
The Great Compromiser
By Ad Astra on 04/05/08 14:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When shopping for a new car, I was torn between the Mazda3, VW Rabbit, Honda Fit, and Scion xD. The Mazda3 and Rabbit were fun to drive, but didn't get great mileage. The xD and Fit were not nearly as exciting to drive, but get amazing mileage. The Astra fell in between the two categories, as it was really fun to drive, but also pretty good on gas. 28.5MPG on my first tank with 40% Very hilly City/ 60% Highway. The handling is superb, it zips around corners with ease. I've been trying to press it to the limits, but I have yet to get so much as a squeak out of the tires in turns. Finally, a real European car!

Great Product!
By Astra Dome on 04/03/08 18:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've been in the compact car market for the past several years. During that time, I was driving a GMC Crew Sierra. Every time the gas price rose I would go out and test the small cars, Pontiac Vibe, Ford Focus, Toyota Prius and so on. I grew a real fondness for the Vibe. It was fun to drive and felt solid and reactive. The Astra is better. First time I drove one, I knew this was the one. The price point and features..to me was a no brainer. I look for any reason to take the car out for a drive. The main complaint that most people seem to have is the lack of cup holders and storage. Maybe we need to learn some things from our European friends about "conservatism". Fit/Finish A+

2008 Black Astra XR 4dr
By Astra-Proud-2008 on 04/02/08 12:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving the Astra for almost a week. I did my first fill-up today and found that I got 30.59 mpg. I do 64 miles round trip from home to work about 16 miles highway and rest stop and go. Very happy with the results. I have had a lot of positive comments on the looks of the Astra since it's purchase from co-workers and others. The handling of this car is just remarkable, very quiet inside and love the extra large sunroof.

Tight Fit
By Rob R on 04/02/08 12:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I couldnt wait for this car to come out however I am disapointed. I looked at the foor door, rides very well, handles good, plenty of pep. However I'm 6'0 and the front seat for me doesnt go back enough, I can't extend my leg all the way on the gas pedal, I would have to drive it with a crimped foot, sorry not in Jersey traffic. If you get the car make sure it's for driving up to two people, because when the front seats are all the way back they miss hitting the rear seats by inches.

500 mile update - This car is great!
By Joseph Astra on 03/30/08 22:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just hit 500 miles on the odometer. Here is the biggest surprise - 36.5 mpg on my second tank of gas! This was in town city driving. This car has much more pep than I expected (5 speed manual) I have yet to down-shift going up a hill. It handles beautifully. The on-board computer with the upgraded stereo has more information and controls than I have ever seen on a car. The seats are comfortable and supportive *No rattles and no buzzes. This car is solid. The upgraded stereo has concert hall sound. The turning radius is excellent (great for parking too). It is still pretty unique on the street. You feel like you have a very exclusive car.

I love my Astra
By ChristaC on 03/29/08 06:46 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 4th Saturn. They just keep getting better and better. No one knows what the Astra is! I find people staring trying to figure it out! It looks great and drives/handles even better.

Astra-nomical fun!
By Joe Astra on 03/16/08 18:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my new Astra XR 5 speed manual coupe for about a week. I have put 200 miles on it so far. It is the best riding/handling small car I have ever driven. It also has an outstanding quality interior, and features that you typically only find on a luxury car. I could not be more impressed. I was concerned about the 138 horse power engine having enough power to climb the foothills of the Rocky Mountains where I live. This car eats up the mountains like a piece of cake.The highway I take most frequently that has the steepest grade has a 75 mph speed limit. The Astra takes this hill in 5th gear doing 80 mph, no down shift and plenty of additional power to give if needed.

Best car ever
By Chris on 03/11/08 17:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'll start with the buying experience, it was lets just say amazing. From the moment I saw my 5 door Astra I was absoluetly impressed. I mean this is one beautiful vehicle. And the drive is some of the best I've ever driven. This vehicle not only exceeds the price tag, it demolishes it and the competition.

Get used to economy/fun to drive/looks
By DelBizo on 03/04/08 20:56 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First, this is an economy car; it's why I traded my 6cyl crossover. On my 2nd tank of gas I got 29.82 mpg, with about 75% highway driving. But I drive around the SF Bay area on freeways that move at 70 to 80 mph. With the needle just above 3000 rpm I'm running about 75, and the mpg indicator is above 30 mpg. The automatic shifts to neutral when you're at a dead stop, to save gas, and I quickly got used to it--if you didn't know about it you might think there's a nano-second stumble when you apply the gas to go. After economy, the seat on the 3dr XR is comfortable for my 5'11''/285lbs. Tilt-telescope wheel makes a big difference. Finally, a very fun to drive economy car that looks great!

Dog loved it
By Dan on 02/09/08 13:48 PM (PST)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

In a word "FUN", we go backpacking and this car is a perfect fit. The power had me scared at first because of the hills we drive, but the 1.8 had no problems going up to Lake Arrowhead today, but the best part was the handling...wow! This is not my grandmothers Saturn.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.