2008 Saturn Astra Consumer Reviews 12

2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Astra model:
Love my Astra!
By John on 06/05/08 08:43 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

"That's a Saturn?" I have heard that ten times in the 1 week since I brought the car home. People look at it. It feels solid. It takes an adjustment to get used to at first, sure, but once you do it is a daily joy. I love this car, black sapphire with the leather and 18" wheels. It has its quirks, and my gas mileage seems to be locked at only 22mpg but still better than the 15 I was getting in my SUV. When all is said and done, I am glad that I bought it, totally on a whim I might add.

Great idea, hope it is here to stay
By vksandsek on 05/25/08 12:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The car is a domesticated version of the Opel Astra, made in Belgium. The amenities are too many to list and most are found exclusively on much more expensive autos. I don't know of any other vehicle that you can get with every option in the book at MSRP of 21965, including leather seats, giant sunroof, 6-disc changer, 6 airbags, 4-wheel disk brakes with ABS, sport suspension, stabilitrak, traction control, alloy wheels, computer, remote locks, windows and mirrors, steering wheel controls, cargo cover, theft deterrent system, fog lamps and so many more. I hope Saturn perseveres with this car because it is the only vehicle by GM that has the potential to become a Honda and Toyota slayer.

Great vehicle (XR3 Manual)
By Hector on 05/25/08 00:31 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Every car has its cons and pros which is why it took me three months to decide between the Astra, Mazda3, and a Civic. I'm glad I chose this vehicle. It's a great, stiff drive that grips to the ground. Standard safety features give one less thing to worry about. The interior has nice qualities and the sound of the door closing is nicer (by a lot) than most. It's not perfect, an aux jack would be nice, and a six gear would be cool, but they're not necessary. The one cup holder for the driver pushes me from not drinking while I drive. There's no armrest which I thought would bother me, but having both hands on the wheel instead makes up for it.

The best car ever
By Steven on 05/19/08 20:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We looked at all the competitors in its class and the Astra by far was #1 in all the areas we looked at. Once I got in it and drove it, I was totally hooked. The feel of the interior is like sitting in a Volvo. High quality in and out. Just close the doors and hear the solid "thud". The shift of the 5 speed is solid and smooth! We have already put 3000 miles, over the mountains in Phoenix and love the way it handles! The sun roof is a big plus! Don't get one without it.

1,000 Mile Update
By Joseph Astra on 05/18/08 18:13 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The good - I consistently get 35 to 36 mpg in a mix of city and highway driving. The car is as tight as a car can be. No squeaks, no rattles and a nice kerthunk when you close the doors. When you own an Astra, you are driving a very exclusive car. Not too many on the road as of yet. This car handles like a sports car. Positive comments from everyone who sees it. I like the utility the hatchback provides. The onboard computer is excellent. The rain sensing wipers are great. The leather seats are very comfortable and supportive. The upgraded stereo

Is on Opel feel and drive superb!
By Claudio Guadagno on 05/18/08 14:13 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just got a 2008 Saturn Astra XR trading down from a 2006 Chevy TrailBlazer. Gas prices and fuel consumption were factors in getting this car. I am from Venezuela where Opels are sold so I know about the built quality. This car is sweet. It is not very fast 0-60 but once it hits 60 it all changes. It handles like a 318ti my friend has. Sweet.

Fun to drive
By pm1975 on 05/07/08 14:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a Salsa Red Astra XR w/ auto and stabilitrak and am loving it. The handling is sharp but not uncomfortable over broken pavement on my commute to work. The Saturn car buying experience also made it so easy to purchase. The interior is extremely pleasing with the data information center and high quality materials throughout. I considered buying a Mazda 3 as well but I felt the Astra's interior beat it while being just as fun to drive. The main improvements I would suggest would be a little more power and more storage inside. I would have never considered a Saturn before the Astra but I'm glad I gave it a chance.

My first Saturn
By Melissa on 04/19/08 13:58 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

You cannot truly appreciate this car until you drive it. I had previously owned an 07 Pontiac Vibe and my lease was almost up. I was only going to the Saturn dealership to get ideas on what to buy next and fell in love with the Astra! My fiancee and I returned to the dealership hours later after going to look at the new Vibe for comparison, not caring for the new model year upgrades on it. This is a fun car to drive! This car hugs the road and is super quiet inside even on rougher roads. I'm looking forward to warmer temperatures in Pittsburgh so I can use my oversized sunroof!

Great for the money
By Kathy on 04/18/08 08:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We love this car! Well built -- great performance -- good gas mileage -- lots of perks for the money. Have gotten several positive comments on it from coworkers. We're very happy we chose it over some other vehicles we were looking at.

Marrige of Luxury And Economy
By Samyn on 04/06/08 22:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The fit and finish of this car is suburb and the materials are exceptional for a compact car. Close the door there is a thud which says quality. Every knob, and door is quality built. This car feels more like a luxury car than an economy car. The truth is that this is a small luxury car, a marriage of quality and economy. There is talk about the hard to learn radio and complicated controls. Yes it did take 1 or 2 days to become familiar with the radio. Anyone with an average IQ will learn the radio in one day or so. Overall the interior is European luxury and European quality. It is a very positive experience for a compact car.