Used 2008 Saturn Astra Consumer Reviews - 137 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astra model:

Nice Car
By Wahoo

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in late December for $14,500 out the door! Having owned a Civic EX previously, I am having some difficulty getting used to the tight suspension, stiff ride, rigid seating, and excellent acceleration. The instrument displays are a bit confusing but are really nicely arranged and detailed. The car has so many more features than new Civics for a lot less money and seems much better built. Having never owned a GM product, I am shocked by the quality of this car.

Suspension (and ride), acceleration (I have the 5 speed), control center, gadgets (heated seats, fuel consumption calculator, cruise, hatchback versatility, smooth clutch, build quality (it sounds solid when you slam the doors). Mileage is 31-33 so far in mixed city/highway driving.

IPOD port

Fat man little car
By michael.fought

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am 290 pounds and six foot tall, however, I love my Astra! I traded in my 2005 GMC Sierra pickup for my Astra and I have made the right desicion. The Astra is American owned and German made! I have plenty of room for me my wife and child. Im getting 28mpg on highway and 24 MPG in city. I really wanted something environmentally friedly, economical, and well built. I think I have made the right desicion.

Trunk space and teloscopic steering wheel.

How did they forget the mp3 player?

Great car
By Glenn

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I picked this car over a Honda Fit after Saturn came down to 15000 on a 19,000 car (1000 dealer cash back + 1000 GM credit card discount + 2000 red tag discount). I've had it for a month now and I really enjoy it. I've always thought that GM and Ford make excellent cars only refuse to sell them here. Well this is the exact same car as the Opel Astra and its built in Belgium. Its not Euro car that's redressed and made it fulfill what Americans want.

Design - the car really is beautiful. Both the 5 door and 3 door. It made the Mazda 3 hatchback look like a toy. Handling - incredible, stability control and ABS are standard. Others: seats are very comfortable, the the dash looks cool and 6 air bags are standard

These are minor problems: Cup holders - there is one up front (2 in back) but you have stretch your arm back to get it. No ash tray - not sure why don't 128% of all Europeans smoke? No MP3 jack - this is a big no-no

Impressed with this car
By mmmaxheadroom

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Was looking for a new vehicle for my wife and found this gem. Only problem so far is giving up the keys to the wife, I wanna drive it waaahhh! This car has put the fun back into the small car GM lineup, that the ION, Cobalt, etc. took away from all of us. When I was looking at replacing our 02 Pontiac, the Vibe and Mazda3 were on the short list. I am 6'6" tall so I won't even discuss the Hondas, either Fit or Civic because at 6'6" those things are impossible. I won't say the Astra fits me perfect but it is relatively comfortable for me. After driving the Astra I can honestly say Fun car, with sharp handling and good fuel mileage to boot. This car is truly a euro car here in the USofA.

Great handling, nice feature set, auto sense wipers, DIC, and the absolute joy it is to drive. wind it up a little and watch it go!

Like others on this forum, the lack of an MP3 input annoys me.

Great Vehicle if you're tall
By Bryan

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! I'm 6'5" tall and the leg room and head room are by far the best I've seen in a vehicle! I actually have to stretch out my foot to shift! usually my knees are up under the steering wheel or straddling it and have to push in the clutch by pushing with my knee. The telescoping wheel helps too I can drive much more comfortably not having to lay the seat back(so my head doesn't bounce against the roof) this requires me to stretch my arms out to reach the wheel. But the headroom and telescoping wheel definitely gives me a more relaxing ride.

Telescoping wheel, onboard computer, auto headlights & wipers. Focus beam headlights (gives a great view of the road really nice in deer country!)

Could use a little more bottom end power, highway passing power is great!Front cup holders would be nice for long trips. MP3 input jack also for long trips where you lose radio stations constantly it's easier to plug in an MP3 player with hours of music on it then to carry a bunch of CD's.