Used 2008 Saturn Astra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astra model:

Great Vehicle if you're tall
By Bryan

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! I'm 6'5" tall and the leg room and head room are by far the best I've seen in a vehicle! I actually have to stretch out my foot to shift! usually my knees are up under the steering wheel or straddling it and have to push in the clutch by pushing with my knee. The telescoping wheel helps too I can drive much more comfortably not having to lay the seat back(so my head doesn't bounce against the roof) this requires me to stretch my arms out to reach the wheel. But the headroom and telescoping wheel definitely gives me a more relaxing ride.

Telescoping wheel, onboard computer, auto headlights & wipers. Focus beam headlights (gives a great view of the road really nice in deer country!)

Could use a little more bottom end power, highway passing power is great!Front cup holders would be nice for long trips. MP3 input jack also for long trips where you lose radio stations constantly it's easier to plug in an MP3 player with hours of music on it then to carry a bunch of CD's.

Better than expected
By leftwingnut

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This quirky little car is fun to drive, and with the manual trans I've never averaged less than 30 mpg per tank in mixed driving. For the price, it's amazing to have rain sensing wipers, automatic headlights, and a trip computer. Only complaint is that it follows any grove in the road like crazy. If you're considering a Mazda3, test drive the Astra too - very compariable is every way but price.

Rain sensing wipers, trip computer, great manual transmission, gas mileage.

Needs a sixth gear for the highway.

GM's best-kept secret
By Judeatb

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Astra XE is a comfortable, practical, spacious, and fun-to-drive compact. I paid less than $15k for it (with a/c), and am, so far, extremely satisfied. The car accelerates well, handles crisply, and gets exactly the mileage the EPA specifies from the get- go. My driving cycle is getting me 29- 30mpg combined. Everything, from the sound the doors make when closed, to the way the handbrake feels, to the materials used on the interior make this car feel like a solidly-built, quality product. Everyone loves the way it looks

Rain-sensing wipers. Logical control layout.Solid-feeling shift linkage.Attractive European interior styling with great build quality. Lots of cargo space. Height-adjustable driver seat. 8 airbags. Avant-garde exterior styling. Willing engine with good acceleration. Info center is neat

Smarter rain-sensing wipers. Larger backlight. Rear spoiler could do a better job keeping the backlight clean. MP3 input jack standard. Liftgate tricky to close fully. Cupholder number and placement. Side windows could defog faster. Brighter low beams. Nicer standard wheelcovers

Best car I ever owned
By frank

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for over three months now. I live in NJ and drive to upstate NY alot so I drive a lot. This car handles like a dream. It looks amazing inside and out. It is great on gas. I have people every day asking me about my car. I havent seen anyone else driving this car so I feel like a king who has something no one else has.

How it drives like a dream. The look of the car. Great on gas! OnStar.

Put the cup holders where they should be, next to the driver! Other than that nothing. I love this car.

Why doesn't GM advertise this car?
By Jane

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've been looking for a car that is fun to drive, great looking, fuel efficient and economical. I was considering VW, but wanted something else for comparison. So, I did an Internet search and up came a video review of hatchbacks that included the Saturn Astra XR2. After doing some more research on this vehicle, I headed off to the Saturn dealership where I bought one on the spot! This car is an absolute hoot to drive and causes pedestrians to do double-takes at its unique appearance. I can't believe GM doesn't do more to advertise this vehicle. It's a world-class small car that is available now, not in some future model year. Go check it out.

Fun to drive! I can't wait to get in it and go. Great seats. Safety features - airbags everywhere. The list of standard equipment is remarkable as well. The dealer put nitrogen in my tires; I feel like I'm driving a rally car every time I get inside.

Only one - the cup holder needs to be moved closer to the front of the vehicle to be useable.