2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astra model:
Civic Killer
By Astrabuyer on 07/11/08 11:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I finally found a car that beats out the people's favorite Honda Civic. This car is better in every way, especially handling. I also really like the cool unique features like the remote roll down windows and monster sunroof.

Surprising results
By tutcity on 07/05/08 21:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The first Astra I saw was in London and I loved it. I always wondered why American car companies sold "better" designed cars abroad and why we didn't get a chance to own them. Finally, they are listening. When I bought my Astra, gas prices wasn't as big of a concern as it is now. I bought the car for it's overall design, its handling and practical features (love hatchbacks). I used to own a Mazda3 and this really blows that car out of water. Back to mileage, it is rated 24-34, but I consistently get higher mileage on the highway. A trip from Denver to Vail and back averaged over 37 mpg. Only once did I need to shift into 4th gear. The engine has great torque.

The best pocket rocket out there
By Leo on 07/02/08 17:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My silver coupe with 5 speed has about 2000 mixed miles on it so far and all I can say is "wow". Better than 30 MPG overall, outstanding handling that brings a smile with every crooked road, and a quality feel and and comfort that you can't find on any other car costing thousands more. It's brought passion back to driving! Great everyday commuter, with honest room for four. On the open highway, it's quiet and has plenty of punch for passing. On the twisty country roads it just doesn' t seem to have a limit to grip and handling. Leather seats are wonderful--firm and confortable. Great looking car! Top it all with the wonderful no hassle Saturn dealer experience, and there is no competition

Great mileage car
By macgov on 06/30/08 13:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We just bought an '08 Astra 5 door, loaded. We love it! Great to drive, holds the road well. We took a 200 mile trip yesterday and it was comfortable and kept up with the big dogs! Gas mileage was better then expected, AC on the entire trip, got over 32 MPG!

Nice little car
By Dave in Indiana on 06/30/08 07:38 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm 6'3" and I have plenty of leg room in this car. We have put 900 miles on so far and are averaging 30.2 mpg mixed city and highway. We test drove a bunch of small cars before the Astra. We noticed the quality of this vehicle right away. This car just feels solid.

Great bang for your buck!
By ex VW owner on 06/25/08 18:40 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a 2000 VW Golf TDI for the Astra and haven't looked back. It handles even better than my Golf and when you account for the differences between a diesel and gasoline engine the performance is comparable. My husband is 6'4 and this is the only car of this category that an adult (mind you not one that is also 6'4) can sit comfortably in the back seat behind him. The sunroof is amazing- a definite must have. Before I bought this I test drove all the comparable cars on the market and the Astra absolutely blew them out of the water on comfort and performance, not to mention price.

Great but slightly lost in translation
By avionsvoisin on 06/22/08 07:02 AM (PDT)

Great car! Well balanced. Tons of great features. Gorgeous & exclusive

Shifting made fun
By liles65 on 06/20/08 08:07 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Saturn has made shifting fun again with the Astra and despite the small 1.8L engine this car has a surprising amount of pep. I got the basic XE model with 5 speed manual because I went for price versus luxury items. The base model comes with standard equipment like cruise control which you would have to pay extra on other brands. The seats are very comfortable and there is plenty of torque to push you back into your seat. All your controls are literally at your fingertips and there is very limited outside noise. The stock Goodyear Eagles grip the road and provide a surprisingly smooth and quiet ride. Plenty of room for the average driver and good views all around.

Only the Best Small 5 Door on the Road
By Charley's New Astra on 06/19/08 16:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Only had it now for 2-weeks, but, love it. Makes me feel like I am driving a 318i or 325i BMW. Smooth ride and great handling with great gas mileage, I am getting the first 2-weeks 28 mpg already and only have 430 miles on the odometer. I got my Astra loaded with the works, heated leather seating with adjustable lumbar fullsize moonroof 4- speed automatic. most everything else was standard on the Astra. My advice to you is go drive it. I traded my 2006 V6 Saturn Vuew in the Astra I downsized in cargo space only but what a great trade off. Works for me. Drive on yourself, buy it and write your own review on here...fuel ecomomy is better than the Potiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix.

Perfect 10 at $4 per gallon for gas!
By George Saturino on 06/06/08 10:52 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have been getting 35 to 38 mpg on every tank. I have gone 2,000 miles so far mostly in mixed city / highway driving. The 5 speed stick shift has a good feel to it and I am sure it is contributing to the outstanding gas mileage. I am amazed at all of the features on the Astra. The quality is outstanding as well. I love to hear the solid thunk when I close the door. All of the controls and levers have a quality feel and appearance. I have the upgraded sound system. I have a concert on wheels everywhere I go. The sound is superb! This car handles like a sports car. You get an incredible locked to the road feel. I look forward to the twisty roads!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Saturn Astra in VA is:

$114 per month*