2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astra model:
Love the car... even with flaws
By jennx2 on 08/07/08 11:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Saturn Astra (XR, 3 door, automatic) for a week now. It is a bit hard to get use to. I went from a Hyundai Tiburon Gt to the 4 cylinder Astra. The Astra doesn't have the get up and go from a stop but it is better on gas mileage. Averaging 26 mpg is the city. The Astra sounds like it is struggling a bit to get from 1st to 2nd gear but after that the ride is quiet and smooth. It handles well and I am interested in how well the winter driving mode will more out. I read reviews about the cupholder being a problem and it is. It was way in the rear compartment. I had the center console installed and there is no improvement there excpet that I gained an arm rest.

Consider my Astra kissed.
By Jason on 08/05/08 07:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I went from a Cadillac CTS to the Astra. I needed a comfortable commuter car with better fuel economy. So far the Astra has been a great decision. It's not only comfortable, but the interior is nicely designed and feels very premium. Not bad for under 20K. The exterior design is awesome. I've already gotten a ton of complements. GM did a great job on this compact car.

Best Small Car Hands Down
By redbaron08 on 07/30/08 14:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car. I test drove and researched a lot of cars in this class, but kept coming back to the Astra. Top selling point for me were the way the doors closed. The car is so well built it feels like a Mercedes or BMW. I took it on a 2000 mile road trip after leaving the dealership and fell more in love with it as each mile passed. Every time I drive it is a joy. The gas mileage has been 29 mpg combined with well over 30 on the highways. I love the fact that I don't feel like I am driving a small car. When I was shopping the Mazda 3 came in second place in my list of cars, and though the Astra was a little more expensive, it had a better warranty and more safety features.

Making Great Even Better
By Liz In Louisiana on 07/30/08 12:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Discovering this car was a "what is it?" process. I had driven the Mini & a number of other smaller cars; all disappointments. One day the hubster & I saw the Astra and were immediately taken w/its European good looks & sporty flair. The test drive was remarkably fun; this little vehicle handles like a rally car around tight corners. I purchased the 5-speed to up the fun factor even higher & got every option it comes with (everything under the sun + car for $20,300) and I'm glad I did. The 'opera' audio system sounds expensive, the 17-alloy wheels really improve the looks and the steering wheel audio controls are nicenicenice. The Astra is an example of GM doing something right!

At least check it out
By Stan on 07/27/08 01:23 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We were looking for cheap transportation. I went to Edmunds.com to look for Sedans under $15K and the Saturn Astra was no where on the radar. Visited Hyundai/Kia and test drove an Accent. We were on the way to the Nissan/Toyota dealerships. Just for kicks I stopped at Saturn when I had to make a U-Turn. We were blown away by the Astra. With the current discounts and very little haggling we were down to my price range. The quality feel of this vehicle is outstanding. It was like night and day from the Japanese imports. If I could have bought two I would have. After the test drive I was hooked. I really like the european feel of this car. It's at least worth a look for new car shoppers.

Astra 3dr XR
By JK Anderson on 07/25/08 14:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in May '08. Traded in an '07 MX5. We needed more room. This car is a "gas". It is almost as much fun to drive as the Miata. Two weeks after purchase I made a 4500 mile road trip. Mileage beat my expectations. 40 mpg on the high side vs 32 worst case (highway). It handles like a slot car at any speed. This is an excellent low priced car. Very European. I am amazed there are not more on the road in this country.

Awesome little car.
By travis on 07/23/08 07:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just traded my 2006 Civic in for this little car. I went with the 4 door XE version, but in the 5-speed manual. I love the car. It is one of the best looking cars on the road today. The first day I had it, four people came up and asked me what it was! The car feels more solid, and is more European then most of the "European" cars being sold in the US... it was built in Belgium. I've only averaged 27 mpg so far, which is short of the 32 I got consistently in the Civic. But the build quality smashes the Civic. I was stunned with what I could get with such little money! The buying experience was amazing and so far no problems with the car at all.

The Oil Companies Can Kiss My Astra!
By Frank Kissmyastra on 07/20/08 08:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The gas mileage has been incredible. I have been averaging 35 to 37 mpg in the foothills of the Rock Mountains! This is with the 5 speed stick. I have found that using the A/C full blast will cost you about one mile per gallon. This is a fun car to drive. It handles like a sports car. The Astra loves to corner. It exudes that glued to the road feeling. Safety features that are typically only found on luxury cars. Being a small car, I want all of the safety I can get. This car is unmatched in its class. The car is comfortable. The leather seats have a great seating position with plenty of support. This car is loaded with toys!

Finally, an entry level European car!
By bone151 on 07/15/08 20:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I still don't understand why Ford and GM refuse to import, or even transplant, great cars that they sell in the rest of the world. If they sell them, we will buy them. If you're looking for a vehicle similar to the Ion/Cavalier/Cimarron, goes elsewhere, you won't like the Astra. Guaranteed. The Astra is an choice over a Golf/Rabbit; build quality is better; fittings and performance are similar. I decided on the Astra over another Golf due to it's manufacture location. Where else can you find an affordable, true European auto stateside?

Solid little car
By Matt on 07/14/08 21:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Only 1,000 miles driven, but so far I have been very pleased. For 16K, car feels very solid, handles surprisingly well, and gets good gas mileage. Acceleration is about what would be expected. We looked at a lot of 5-dr hatches and the Astra just looked better/sportier than a lot of others and still delivers lots of space in a small package. Back seats have a fair amount of room. With mostly highway, but some stop and go city driving we have averaged 31.4 MPG the 1st 1000 miles driven. So far it has been a great little commuter.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.