Used 2008 Saturn Astra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 137 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Saturn Astra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astra model:

Pain in the butt.
By Dave

2008 Saturn Astra Hatchback XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is not really a "Saturn". It's a European Opel with Saturn badges. I've needed O2 senors, breaks, tires, a fuel injection throttle body, a transmission flush, a new valve cover gasket(oil was leaking into the spark plug wells), belts, hoses, batteries (yes I said "batteries") and that's only the mechanical problems. While I still enjoy driving the vehicle, I should have stayed away from a brand that imported their vehicles from Belgium. I probably should have purchased a truly domestic vehicle with more miles because it would have been vastly more simple and cheaper to find parts. Oh, and there's an airbag recall to top it all off.

Vroom my Saturn Astra
By LG313

2008 Saturn Astra Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First I want to start off saying I love this car. In 2008 I got my first car straight off the ship from Belgium with 12 miles on her. Eight years she was reliable and mostly unique. No-one knew anything about this car. The lack of finding parts for it was a huge setback for me. It was made for one year. It had many features that you won't find on the road anywhere else. The acceleration was also tricky. Sometimes it would go other times it would take a minute to hiccup. When it went it went fast. The handling was insane. It would hug every corner so smooth. For eight years maintenance became easier as parts started coming around and being more accessible. The think you need to know. This was my first car. The only car I drove. On a frightfully raining morning last month my car went to the great garage in the sky. I want everyone on this forum to know this car saved my life. The side airbags were amazing. This car took on a full sized F150 and here I sit. The adjuster couldn't believe it and the tow truck driver couldn't believe it. I never had confidence in the safety because it was so small. Do hot under estimate this car. On the other side. Yesterday received a paper saying there's a recall on the airbags for not deploying. Deploying too hard. Or spewing metal fragments when deployed. Keep that in mind. The steering wheel airbag never deployed for me. It probably should have. I had five out of ten deploy. Do not overlooks this gem. It was and always will be my favorite. I miss it!

Been Good
By Dan R

2008 Saturn Astra Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car in January 09. I have over 125k on the car. Overall its been a great car. Handling, braking are really good. Off the line it's ok, but get it on a back road and its a blast. Parts availability is ok, most parts store have most things in stock, but I usually order from rock auto and have them put on. They unfortunately haven't held there value, but that just means you can get a good deal on a used one. I would recommend this car to anyone in the market for a car.

Astra review 2015
By BC

2008 Saturn Astra Hatchback XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

2008 Saturn Astra
By blakeschneider

2008 Saturn Astra Hatchback XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a Saturn Astra in July 2008 because it was 0% financing and we needed a small car for commuting. The sunroof and heated seats were an unexpected bonus for the price. We had the car 1 month when the transmission created a problem and needed to be replaced. I told the dealer that this was unacceptable and I wanted a new car. Without arguement they said ok. I said my wife hated the red and would like a blue one. They said ok. In all my life I have never had a more positive consumer experience. We have had this car for 6 years and never had any mechanical issues. It has 150,000 kilometers and we have not even replaced the brake pads or mufflers. Great car.