Used 2008 Saturn Astra XE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Saturn Astra

View reviews for a specific Astra model:

2008 Saturn Astra
By blakeschneider

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a Saturn Astra in July 2008 because it was 0% financing and we needed a small car for commuting. The sunroof and heated seats were an unexpected bonus for the price. We had the car 1 month when the transmission created a problem and needed to be replaced. I told the dealer that this was unacceptable and I wanted a new car. Without arguement they said ok. I said my wife hated the red and would like a blue one. They said ok. In all my life I have never had a more positive consumer experience. We have had this car for 6 years and never had any mechanical issues. It has 150,000 kilometers and we have not even replaced the brake pads or mufflers. Great car.

Favorite Features

Sunroof and heated seat

Suggested Improvements

More horse power would make it a lot more fun but not a deal breaker.

100K mile test Astra XE 5-door AT 2008
By rook119

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Price new: $13,500 - bought winter 08 when the economony blew up and GM was giving cars away. The car was made in Belgium, with German parts and an Aisin (Japanese) transmission. So unlike other Saturn/Opels the car thankfully wasn't Americanized with things like overly spongy suspensions. So the car is manuverable and a blast to toss around. I think its still arguably the best looking subcompact on the market. Its really the best affordable European car on the market still today. Really if you can get this car at about 75K miles and about $6-7K I would highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

Pros: Reliablility has been very good - Engine Coil ($550) and belt tensioner ($300) were the only problems (also changed brakes at 85K). Despite being a rare car in the US parts are relatively cheap. As said before the car is so fun to drive. The engine (1.8 130hp) is powerful for its class. Steering is responsive + the seats are firm and comfortable. No cheap plastics in the interior. I get 25/31mpg on LRR tires and flat Maryland roads.

Suggested Improvements

Cons: My biggest complaint is that there is no auxillary jack for mp3s and if you swap out the stereo you lose the center console computer and OnStar if you'd want it won't work. 4-speed AT is reliable but will get lost if you floor it. Cup holder is hard to reach (they sell center consoles for the car for around $100-150 if it bothers you).

so many issues with this car
By unsatisfied15

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2008 saturn astra for the price of $26,000 plus warranty total for $31,000 and I have never in my life regreted something so much my first week with my car It had to have a major part replaced and i have had nothing but issues yet. all dealers close shortly after purchasing my car as i had purchased extras from that dealer they were void as they has closed down.I have never had such regret in my life there are a number of these cars around and I have had others have the same issues .When trying to purchase parts for my car they are nearly always unavailble and then i have to wait for 3-4 days if lucky If i could turn back time i would not buy this car it was not worth the $

Saturn Astra 4dr Great Car
By Judicious

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

So far I have had the car for 2 years. It works great. No major issues yet. Fuel mileage is good could be better in the city but very nice on the highway. Car feels great while cornering. Suspension is not too soft but yet handles bumps well. The best hatchback GM ever sold in north America and wish they kept bringing them over.

Favorite Features

design inside and out. sunroof is awesome. great feeling car to drive.

Suggested Improvements

more powerful engine would have been great. cup holders in the front would be nice. mp3 jack on radio as well.

Wonderful little car
By happyAstra08

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Astra for 2 years now. It has always been a pleasure to drive. In SF it fits in all the small spaces, yet holds a ton of stuff. If GM can build cars like these in the states I will definitely look at them when I am choosing my next car ( I have had hondas and mazdas for the last 20 years) so good job on the Astra! A few minor quirks that were repaired at the dealer when I got the car was the only reason it did not get a 10 on reliability.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive and what a sun roof! It is also really fun to look at (I get lots of compliments on it when people see it).

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders and ipod jack. Completely fold down back seats. Although more engine choices would have been nice this one is peppy, responsive on the hills and nice on the fuel efficiency.