Used 2008 Saturn Astra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Saturn Astra

View reviews for a specific Astra model:

Most Helpful|
2008 Saturn Astra
By blakeschneider

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a Saturn Astra in July 2008 because it was 0% financing and we needed a small car for commuting. The sunroof and heated seats were an unexpected bonus for the price. We had the car 1 month when the transmission created a problem and needed to be replaced. I told the dealer that this was unacceptable and I wanted a new car. Without arguement they said ok. I said my wife hated the red and would like a blue one. They said ok. In all my life I have never had a more positive consumer experience. We have had this car for 6 years and never had any mechanical issues. It has 150,000 kilometers and we have not even replaced the brake pads or mufflers. Great car.

Favorite Features

Sunroof and heated seat

Suggested Improvements

More horse power would make it a lot more fun but not a deal breaker.

so many issues with this car
By unsatisfied15

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2008 saturn astra for the price of $26,000 plus warranty total for $31,000 and I have never in my life regreted something so much my first week with my car It had to have a major part replaced and i have had nothing but issues yet. all dealers close shortly after purchasing my car as i had purchased extras from that dealer they were void as they has closed down.I have never had such regret in my life there are a number of these cars around and I have had others have the same issues .When trying to purchase parts for my car they are nearly always unavailble and then i have to wait for 3-4 days if lucky If i could turn back time i would not buy this car it was not worth the $

Should have been yellow not red
By Bonnie

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car brand new, drove it off the lot, the next the low tire pressure light came, they reset it, then the engine light came on, they reset it, the dash rattled they put some packing in it, the windows leak, they said it was the way it was, the engine light came on, they reset it over and over and over, put in a new sensor it came back on, the battery went dead, they replaced the sensor, the abs and traction control light came on, the low tire pressure light came on, the doors lock themselves and the engine surges and dies - they reset it. Anybody want a lemon???

Favorite Features

I love the color, the ride, the warm seats in -40 and the extra room it has - if I could get it out of the shop long enough to drive it.

Suggested Improvements

Decent service manager and service personnel who take you seriously when you call with a problem. The windows need to be redesigned as they "leak" and "whistle".

Needs
By astra

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This could have been a nice car, but like so many other small cars it's a DOG with NO option to get much needed HP and Torque. Just sold mine because I just cannot deal with the lack of power any longer.

Favorite Features

That I sold it this week

Nice car to drive
By kuda1

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Love the drive. It hugs the corners. I traded in my 2005 Vue for the Astra to save on gas mileage. I miss the Vue. The Astra averages 9.0 L/100kms with most of my driving on the highway. I have 3000 miles on it now and each tankful has been identical. I would love to get other peoples impressions. Especially tell me how many miles or kilometers you are able to get to a tankful of gas.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder location really dumb.