2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astra model:
100K mile test Astra XE 5-door AT 2008
By rook119 on 07/20/14 05:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Price new: $13,500 - bought winter 08 when the economony blew up and GM was giving cars away. The car was made in Belgium, with German parts and an Aisin (Japanese) transmission. So unlike other Saturn/Opels the car thankfully wasn't Americanized with things like overly spongy suspensions. So the car is manuverable and a blast to toss around. I think its still arguably the best looking subcompact on the market. Its really the best affordable European car on the market still today. Really if you can get this car at about 75K miles and about $6-7K I would highly recommend it.

so many issues with this car
By unsatisfied15 on 09/24/11 14:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2008 saturn astra for the price of $26,000 plus warranty total for $31,000 and I have never in my life regreted something so much my first week with my car It had to have a major part replaced and i have had nothing but issues yet. all dealers close shortly after purchasing my car as i had purchased extras from that dealer they were void as they has closed down.I have never had such regret in my life there are a number of these cars around and I have had others have the same issues .When trying to purchase parts for my car they are nearly always unavailble and then i have to wait for 3-4 days if lucky If i could turn back time i would not buy this car it was not worth the $

Love my Astra
By rmittel on 03/24/11 14:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After 2.5 years I still really love this car. Too bad they are no longer available here in the US. If Saturn had sold more cars like this they would still be around. Get comments from people asking what car that is, they love styling. Very firm fun car to drive. I live in Colorado and is great in snow. Have had no problems what so ever with vehicle. Dashboard controls a little hard to figure out as they are European based but not an major issue. A lot of car for the money I think.

Unknown gem
By astracan on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for an affordable well designed, well made, sophisticated, fun-to-drive SMALL car that got over 30mpg and didn't feel like a Fisher Price toy inside. Amazing how rare that was a couple of years ago. It has mostly fulfilled that expectation. (too bad Saturn went out of business 2 months after I bought it). Every drive feels like an event. This is as much about the overall quality of the interior (design, precise assembly & materials: I have leather), well weighted controls, beautifully damped ride and refinement of response than outright power. Actually the car has plenty of power, it just lacks torque below 1500 rpm, so it feels a bit dead until you learn to drive around that.

Review2
By Hoagie on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I originally reviewed this car in Jan., a week after purchase. With now over 16k miles on it, I am very pleased with my purchase. I get 30 mpg (city/hwy mix) consistently. I never really get fatigued in the drivers seat. The tight handling has saved my rear end more than once around crazy city drivers. I only wish it had another gear and another 20-30 horsepower. I have had a few minor issues that the dealer has fixed under warranty, but no deal breakers.

Overall good car
By Wayne on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

There are definitely some pros and cons to this car. On the plus side, I've never had mechanical problems, it has a great sunroof and very responsive steering. It's a reasonably comfortable ride although you might find it a little cramped. On the downside, lack of engine power. I don't think this thing could outrun a slushie truck going up a hill. The cupholders where you have to dislocate your arm to get your drink, the very tiny side mirrors, and the paint job wore off after only a few months. Now of course we also have to deal with lack of service, as there are only 2 dealers in my city who are authorized to work on Saturns.

Good enough to pass on to son
By bjie on 09/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This Opel reminds me of the VWs I have driven. Small but feels bigger on the road. Not a comfy couch to put you asleep on the road, specially on not- too-straight roads. (I believe the .84 g specs reported.) If gas prices spike up again, the 30mph average (90+% hwy) should soften the blow to my wallet. Had a turn signal relay replaced on warranty but no other issues. I am confident my son will keep this car when I hand it over to him in a couple of years.

Saturn Astra 4dr Great Car
By Judicious on 07/27/10 15:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

So far I have had the car for 2 years. It works great. No major issues yet. Fuel mileage is good could be better in the city but very nice on the highway. Car feels great while cornering. Suspension is not too soft but yet handles bumps well. The best hatchback GM ever sold in north America and wish they kept bringing them over.

Wonderful little car
By happyAstra08 on 07/23/10 17:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Astra for 2 years now. It has always been a pleasure to drive. In SF it fits in all the small spaces, yet holds a ton of stuff. If GM can build cars like these in the states I will definitely look at them when I am choosing my next car ( I have had hondas and mazdas for the last 20 years) so good job on the Astra! A few minor quirks that were repaired at the dealer when I got the car was the only reason it did not get a 10 on reliability.

36,000 Miles In
By Tom on 07/16/10 09:09 AM (PDT)

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second review. I've had the car for 2 yrs and 36,000 miles. While I still like it, I'm looking to get rid of it now. Still have the same interior rattles plus some new ones. Had to have the driver's seat cover replaced, never had one of those wear out before. AC is now "pulsing" but after my lousy experience with the local Chevy dealer as an "Authorized Saturn Service Center" I'm afraid to bring it in for service. My mileage has gone down, I think it's because there is ethanol in the fuel, but 25 mpg on the highway, I might as well drive an SUV.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.