Used 1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9000 model:

5yrs later
By dbrooks22

1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I wrote a review below in 2007. Since then, i have had to do only the water pump, which started leaking only after i power flushed the coolant. Really can't believe how solidly this car was built. I also have the auto and wish i had a stick shift. And my car was a NYC car for the first 50K of it's life. But these cars were built for cold weather... overbuilt really. Anyone who has not seen the Top Gear Saab Tribute from a few months ago should head over to Youtube right now. Saab really did build a better car.. a car to last for decades. It's a dam shame what happened to them. Their attention to every detail, the quality of construction, and pride in engineering are inspiring.

As great in 2012 as it was in '97
By joliver4

1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I actually have the automatic, which I bought in the name of practicality because I live in Los Angeles and I sit in hours of traffic every week -- but since buying the car, I half-wish I had a stick because this car is so much fun to drive. Originally from MA, the car's undercarriage rusted significantly before I bought it, which has caused a dearth of minor(ish) problems. Though, in the car's defense, none that you wouldn't expect to see on a 17-year-old vehicle with mostly original equipment. I have taken it from 82K miles a couple of years ago to about 107K today without any major repairs. Build quality, especially where the interior is concerned, is a bit lacking.

Fantastically taut suspension -- great at cornering, and generally a fantastic road car. The gas pedal is short and stiff, much like BMW's from the same period. The passing power of the full-pressure Turbo in the 9000 surpasses my father's Mercedes SLK on the freeway. Much more fun to drive, and much less ubiquitous styling than my previous base model Volvo S70 (0-60 was so slow that I normally found it too depressing to keep count after 9 seconds). Also much more connected and communicative than my Volvo or my first car, a Mercedes 190E 2.3. The seats are comfortable, not outstanding. Generally, the interior design is quite elegant and true to the brand's Scandinavian heritage.

Interior build quality hasn't been as good as my Volvo and Mercedes. Plastic bits break easily, like the switches on the power seats or the foot lights in the doors. No tears in the leather, but lots of wear. Despite cavernous interior for the size of the vehicle, not enough small storage areas (i.e. no glove compartment). Minor repairs are needed every few thousand miles, though mostly just usual wear-and-tear (engine mounts, brake shoes). The ride is a bit stiff and low for LA's pothole-covered roads, but this is easily because the car still rides on its original struts. Repairs can be costly, but are generally less than Volvo or Mercedes in my experience. Parts break, not whole mechanisms

Best Car Ever
By JT

1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

With a few miles short of 270,000 I can safely say this is the best car I have ever owned. I bought this Saab new and have driven it 80-85% highway. Highway mileage driving at 75+ MPH is 28/29, well beyond original rating. I have put tires on it every 60-80K, oil every 5-6K, and exhaust systems every 70-90K. Beyond these, only a fuel pump and two clutches and scheduled maintenance. The best and still running like a top.

97 saab
By JBR

1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

This has been one of the best cars that I've ever owned. Heavy enough to be safe on highways, steady enough to not even bounce when side-swiped, reasonable on fuel and the hatch back has been indispensable. I've loved this car. The 1st transmission failed at 49K, but it was replaced (free) with a re-built and we've had no problems. The gasket heads got a little leaky last year but we've got everything under control. I've made a few major repairs thru Saab which is costly but we wanted to be sure we weren't using poor replacement parts. We finished all minor repairs and tune ups at a good local service garage.

flexibility of the interior, sun roof, fun to drive and a solid car.

1997 CS Automatic (modified) - Amazing!
By Telfair

1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car 1 yr ago for $2.5k. Since then I have put $3k into it: new motor mounts, Bilstein HD shocks, front bushings, new CV boots, a 3" downpipe, 7" wide wheels with 225/15 Dunlops, a Stage 3 ECU which converted the LPT to FPT and remapped the computer software. The car was 170 Hp and handled well. Now it screams at 270 Hp, spins the wheels off the line and in 2d, goes from 50-85 mph in a snap, and can blow past any BMW, Lexus, etc, on the road. I can throw it into corners like a sports car, and it never slips. BUY THIS CAR! It can be turned into a monster! The 2.3l turbo can be tuned to over 400 Hp. It is a wolf in sheep's clothing

1. Ability to upgrade and bolt-on extra horsepower anytime you want. The engine is truly as marvel, and can blow away 6 and 8 cyl engines. The car and will go 80-110 in 3 seconds and still gets over 30 mpg highway. 2. Interior space. I can lie down and sleep in this car with the seats down.

1. Blower fan chirps like a small bird is stuck in there. 2. Hatch and hood shocks don't last. 3. Windshield fluid reservoir is poorly designed and leaks. Common on 9000's 4. They stopped making the 9000. Why? I'll never know. This car is THE best combination of power, comfort, safety, and space