1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9000 model:
5yrs later
By dbrooks22 on 08/25/12 11:39 AM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I wrote a review below in 2007. Since then, i have had to do only the water pump, which started leaking only after i power flushed the coolant. Really can't believe how solidly this car was built. I also have the auto and wish i had a stick shift. And my car was a NYC car for the first 50K of it's life. But these cars were built for cold weather... overbuilt really. Anyone who has not seen the Top Gear Saab Tribute from a few months ago should head over to Youtube right now. Saab really did build a better car.. a car to last for decades. It's a dam shame what happened to them. Their attention to every detail, the quality of construction, and pride in engineering are inspiring.

As great in 2012 as it was in '97
By joliver4 on 07/12/12 19:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I actually have the automatic, which I bought in the name of practicality because I live in Los Angeles and I sit in hours of traffic every week -- but since buying the car, I half-wish I had a stick because this car is so much fun to drive. Originally from MA, the car's undercarriage rusted significantly before I bought it, which has caused a dearth of minor(ish) problems. Though, in the car's defense, none that you wouldn't expect to see on a 17-year-old vehicle with mostly original equipment. I have taken it from 82K miles a couple of years ago to about 107K today without any major repairs. Build quality, especially where the interior is concerned, is a bit lacking.

Best Car Ever
By JT on 06/06/09 11:08 AM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

With a few miles short of 270,000 I can safely say this is the best car I have ever owned. I bought this Saab new and have driven it 80-85% highway. Highway mileage driving at 75+ MPH is 28/29, well beyond original rating. I have put tires on it every 60-80K, oil every 5-6K, and exhaust systems every 70-90K. Beyond these, only a fuel pump and two clutches and scheduled maintenance. The best and still running like a top.

97 saab
By JBR on 05/16/08 19:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

This has been one of the best cars that I've ever owned. Heavy enough to be safe on highways, steady enough to not even bounce when side-swiped, reasonable on fuel and the hatch back has been indispensable. I've loved this car. The 1st transmission failed at 49K, but it was replaced (free) with a re-built and we've had no problems. The gasket heads got a little leaky last year but we've got everything under control. I've made a few major repairs thru Saab which is costly but we wanted to be sure we weren't using poor replacement parts. We finished all minor repairs and tune ups at a good local service garage.

1997 CS Automatic (modified) - Amazing!
By Telfair on 02/21/08 12:38 PM (PST)

1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car 1 yr ago for $2.5k. Since then I have put $3k into it: new motor mounts, Bilstein HD shocks, front bushings, new CV boots, a 3" downpipe, 7" wide wheels with 225/15 Dunlops, a Stage 3 ECU which converted the LPT to FPT and remapped the computer software. The car was 170 Hp and handled well. Now it screams at 270 Hp, spins the wheels off the line and in 2d, goes from 50-85 mph in a snap, and can blow past any BMW, Lexus, etc, on the road. I can throw it into corners like a sports car, and it never slips. BUY THIS CAR! It can be turned into a monster! The 2.3l turbo can be tuned to over 400 Hp. It is a wolf in sheep's clothing

Solid
By Dbrooks on 08/25/07 08:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I went from a Porsche 911 into this car, so I was a bit dismayed at the boat-like handling at first. But I have owned it now for almost 2 yrs and haven't had to do anything other than change fluids. Saab has built a vault- like car here, and it has more space than most of my friend's SUVs with much better fuel economy. I'm not crazy about the styling and handling, but it has plenty of power, especially down low in the torque band. The car does 0-30 faster than my girlfriend's Subaru WRX. These cars are just incredible value for the dollar. The car cost more than 40K new in 1997, and I bought it for 5K in 2005.

Awesome
By sully on 04/17/07 16:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I've owned my 9000cs for 1 year. The car has been great. I drove it from Boston to San Diego to Albuquerque to Mexico and back to Albuquerque. It was a very comfortable ride with no problems. The fuel is awesome with cruise control on. Maintenance: new rotors and brakes. New battery. New hub and bearing both sides. New outer boot and halfshaft both sides (if you're changing the outer boot, also change the halfshaft. You can get that in one piece.) I did the work myself. Saved around a thousand. The first side is hard but the second one is a breeze because you know how to do it at that point. I wanted to do the whole front end over. Next I am going to put in new engine mounts. Easy!!

The true SUV
By dmsj on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I absolutley love my 9000CSE. This car is the ultimate highway monster: it criuses effortlessly at 80mph and still gets 30mpg. When the time comes to overtake at highway speeds, look out, boost kicks in and you will be in triple digit speeds without even tring. This car can haul more then my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and is much more comfotable. Because of this, we use the SAAB for out of town camping trips and leave the Jeep in the garage.

Broncos75
By Moose75 on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Saab 9000 Hatchback CSE Anniversary Turbo 4dr Hatchback

We ve loved driving this car, it has been in all over the world as we are a military family. Saab is given kudos for service and reliability.

Last of the breed
By alicia on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

The 9000 CSE hatch,is one of the last eurohatches