1997 Saab 9000 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9000 model:
5yrs later
By dbrooks22 on 08/25/12 11:39 AM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I wrote a review below in 2007. Since then, i have had to do only the water pump, which started leaking only after i power flushed the coolant. Really can't believe how solidly this car was built. I also have the auto and wish i had a stick shift. And my car was a NYC car for the first 50K of it's life. But these cars were built for cold weather... overbuilt really. Anyone who has not seen the Top Gear Saab Tribute from a few months ago should head over to Youtube right now. Saab really did build a better car.. a car to last for decades. It's a dam shame what happened to them. Their attention to every detail, the quality of construction, and pride in engineering are inspiring.

As great in 2012 as it was in '97
By joliver4 on 07/12/12 19:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I actually have the automatic, which I bought in the name of practicality because I live in Los Angeles and I sit in hours of traffic every week -- but since buying the car, I half-wish I had a stick because this car is so much fun to drive. Originally from MA, the car's undercarriage rusted significantly before I bought it, which has caused a dearth of minor(ish) problems. Though, in the car's defense, none that you wouldn't expect to see on a 17-year-old vehicle with mostly original equipment. I have taken it from 82K miles a couple of years ago to about 107K today without any major repairs. Build quality, especially where the interior is concerned, is a bit lacking.

97 saab
By JBR on 05/16/08 19:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

This has been one of the best cars that I've ever owned. Heavy enough to be safe on highways, steady enough to not even bounce when side-swiped, reasonable on fuel and the hatch back has been indispensable. I've loved this car. The 1st transmission failed at 49K, but it was replaced (free) with a re-built and we've had no problems. The gasket heads got a little leaky last year but we've got everything under control. I've made a few major repairs thru Saab which is costly but we wanted to be sure we weren't using poor replacement parts. We finished all minor repairs and tune ups at a good local service garage.

Solid
By Dbrooks on 08/25/07 08:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I went from a Porsche 911 into this car, so I was a bit dismayed at the boat-like handling at first. But I have owned it now for almost 2 yrs and haven't had to do anything other than change fluids. Saab has built a vault- like car here, and it has more space than most of my friend's SUVs with much better fuel economy. I'm not crazy about the styling and handling, but it has plenty of power, especially down low in the torque band. The car does 0-30 faster than my girlfriend's Subaru WRX. These cars are just incredible value for the dollar. The car cost more than 40K new in 1997, and I bought it for 5K in 2005.

The true SUV
By dmsj on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I absolutley love my 9000CSE. This car is the ultimate highway monster: it criuses effortlessly at 80mph and still gets 30mpg. When the time comes to overtake at highway speeds, look out, boost kicks in and you will be in triple digit speeds without even tring. This car can haul more then my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and is much more comfotable. Because of this, we use the SAAB for out of town camping trips and leave the Jeep in the garage.

Last of the breed
By alicia on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

The 9000 CSE hatch,is one of the last eurohatches

BUY THIS CAR
By dabom on 09/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

this car is great i reccomend it

Great entry car to the world of sedans
By C. LaBianco on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Bought the car as a time to grow up upgrade from my wife's Pontiac Sunfire GT convertable. First comment is that it is huge, seats 5 adults no problem. 2.3 ltr turbo is quiet but powerful, and the overall road handling is great. A bit of a gass gossler and loaded with lots of electronic gizmos that all seem to need service at 60,000 miles. The car is a bit expensive for upkeep - but a real pleasure on road trips. A far better value than a BMW 3 series probably more spacious than a 5 series. A great first time buyers entry in to the near/luxury sedan market. Buy the car, drive it, enjoy it and worry about the rest later.

Best car owned
By Marcus on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

So far out of all the cars I have owned and test driven I have not like anything better than the SAAB 9000, In fact I plan on buying a 95 in the future but I think that I will still hold on to this one...

Best car owned
By marcus on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)