Used 1997 Saab 9000 CSE Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9000 model:

5yrs later
By dbrooks22

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I wrote a review below in 2007.
Since then, i have had to do only the water pump, which started leaking only after i power flushed the coolant.
Really can't believe how solidly this car was built.
I also have the auto and wish i had a stick shift.
And my car was a NYC car for the first 50K of it's life.
But these cars were built for cold weather... overbuilt really.
Anyone who has not seen the Top Gear Saab Tribute from a few months ago should head over to Youtube right now.
Saab really did build a better car.. a car to last for decades.
It's a dam shame what happened to them.
Their attention to every detail, the quality of construction, and pride in engineering are inspiring.

As great in 2012 as it was in '97
By joliver4

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I actually have the automatic, which I bought in the name of practicality because I live in Los Angeles and I sit in hours of traffic every week -- but since buying the car, I half-wish I had a stick because this car is so much fun to drive. Originally from MA, the car's undercarriage rusted significantly before I bought it, which has caused a dearth of minor(ish) problems. Though, in the car's defense, none that you wouldn't expect to see on a 17-year-old vehicle with mostly original equipment. I have taken it from 82K miles a couple of years ago to about 107K today without any major repairs. Build quality, especially where the interior is concerned, is a bit lacking.

Fantastically taut suspension -- great at cornering, and generally a fantastic road car. The gas pedal is short and stiff, much like BMW's from the same period. The passing power of the full-pressure Turbo in the 9000 surpasses my father's Mercedes SLK on the freeway. Much more fun to drive, and much less ubiquitous styling than my previous base model Volvo S70 (0-60 was so slow that I normally found it too depressing to keep count after 9 seconds). Also much more connected and communicative than my Volvo or my first car, a Mercedes 190E 2.3. The seats are comfortable, not outstanding. Generally, the interior design is quite elegant and true to the brand's Scandinavian heritage.

Interior build quality hasn't been as good as my Volvo and Mercedes. Plastic bits break easily, like the switches on the power seats or the foot lights in the doors. No tears in the leather, but lots of wear. Despite cavernous interior for the size of the vehicle, not enough small storage areas (i.e. no glove compartment). Minor repairs are needed every few thousand miles, though mostly just usual wear-and-tear (engine mounts, brake shoes). The ride is a bit stiff and low for LA's pothole-covered roads, but this is easily because the car still rides on its original struts. Repairs can be costly, but are generally less than Volvo or Mercedes in my experience. Parts break, not whole mechanisms

97 saab
By JBR

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

This has been one of the best cars that I've ever owned. Heavy enough to be safe on highways, steady enough to not even bounce when side-swiped, reasonable on fuel and the hatch back has been indispensable. I've loved this car. The 1st transmission failed at 49K, but it was replaced (free) with a re-built and we've had no problems. The gasket heads got a little leaky last year but we've got everything under control. I've made a few major repairs thru Saab which is costly but we wanted to be sure we weren't using poor replacement parts. We finished all minor repairs and tune ups at a good local service garage.

flexibility of the interior, sun roof, fun to drive and a solid car.

Solid
By Dbrooks

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I went from a Porsche 911 into this car, so I was a bit dismayed at the boat-like handling at first. But I have owned it now for almost 2 yrs and haven't had to do anything other than change fluids. Saab has built a vault- like car here, and it has more space than most of my friend's SUVs with much better fuel economy. I'm not crazy about the styling and handling, but it has plenty of power, especially down low in the torque band. The car does 0-30 faster than my girlfriend's Subaru WRX. These cars are just incredible value for the dollar. The car cost more than 40K new in 1997, and I bought it for 5K in 2005.

Power/auto everything. Heated seats. Great sound system. 200 hp. Decent mileage. Fantastic reliability.

Handles like a town car. Looks like a UFO.

The true SUV
By dmsj

I absolutley love my 9000CSE. This car
is the ultimate highway monster: it
criuses effortlessly at 80mph and still
gets 30mpg. When the time comes to
overtake at highway speeds, look out,
boost kicks in and you will be in
triple digit speeds without even tring.
This car can haul more then my 2002
Jeep Grand Cherokee and is much more
comfotable. Because of this, we use the
SAAB for out of town camping trips and
leave the Jeep in the garage.

Power, comfort, power, accessories, power, Harmon Kardon stereo, power and did I metion the V8 torque down low in the rpm's and how much power this car has....very deceiving. :>)

Light bulbs in the various switched that do not burn out. Be a bit more reliable and less expensive to "maintain" Front cupholder are absolutely the WORST but I gues we should be paying attention to the road not drinking.