1997 Saab 9000 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9000 model:
5yrs later
By dbrooks22 on 08/25/12 11:39 AM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I wrote a review below in 2007. Since then, i have had to do only the water pump, which started leaking only after i power flushed the coolant. Really can't believe how solidly this car was built. I also have the auto and wish i had a stick shift. And my car was a NYC car for the first 50K of it's life. But these cars were built for cold weather... overbuilt really. Anyone who has not seen the Top Gear Saab Tribute from a few months ago should head over to Youtube right now. Saab really did build a better car.. a car to last for decades. It's a dam shame what happened to them. Their attention to every detail, the quality of construction, and pride in engineering are inspiring.

As great in 2012 as it was in '97
By joliver4 on 07/12/12 19:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I actually have the automatic, which I bought in the name of practicality because I live in Los Angeles and I sit in hours of traffic every week -- but since buying the car, I half-wish I had a stick because this car is so much fun to drive. Originally from MA, the car's undercarriage rusted significantly before I bought it, which has caused a dearth of minor(ish) problems. Though, in the car's defense, none that you wouldn't expect to see on a 17-year-old vehicle with mostly original equipment. I have taken it from 82K miles a couple of years ago to about 107K today without any major repairs. Build quality, especially where the interior is concerned, is a bit lacking.

A Swedish rocket wrapped in a practical, fun, comfortable, efficient car...
By pjphughes on 03/01/12 10:49 AM (PST)

1997 Saab 9000 Aero Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I recently bought a '97 9000 Aero to upgrade and use as a spare car for fun drives. Having always loved the cars back when they were new, having the resources now to buy one and refurbish it was a no brainer. After a suspension overhaul, clutch, Stage 1 ECU upgrade, thicker sway bars, and a few other bits and pieces, this 9000 is as new. It's fast, comfortable, has the best seats every designed, and yet still gets 32mpg on the highway, for such a large car. Saab's bankruptcy was very sad to see. As a Saab fan, I was hoping for a new '12 9-5 wagon. That being said, this 5 speed fast hatch will keep me happy for many years to come. I'd rather drive this car than many newer cars.

Best Car Ever
By JT on 06/06/09 11:08 AM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

With a few miles short of 270,000 I can safely say this is the best car I have ever owned. I bought this Saab new and have driven it 80-85% highway. Highway mileage driving at 75+ MPH is 28/29, well beyond original rating. I have put tires on it every 60-80K, oil every 5-6K, and exhaust systems every 70-90K. Beyond these, only a fuel pump and two clutches and scheduled maintenance. The best and still running like a top.

97 saab
By JBR on 05/16/08 19:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

This has been one of the best cars that I've ever owned. Heavy enough to be safe on highways, steady enough to not even bounce when side-swiped, reasonable on fuel and the hatch back has been indispensable. I've loved this car. The 1st transmission failed at 49K, but it was replaced (free) with a re-built and we've had no problems. The gasket heads got a little leaky last year but we've got everything under control. I've made a few major repairs thru Saab which is costly but we wanted to be sure we weren't using poor replacement parts. We finished all minor repairs and tune ups at a good local service garage.

1997 CS Automatic (modified) - Amazing!
By Telfair on 02/21/08 12:38 PM (PST)

1997 Saab 9000 CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car 1 yr ago for $2.5k. Since then I have put $3k into it: new motor mounts, Bilstein HD shocks, front bushings, new CV boots, a 3" downpipe, 7" wide wheels with 225/15 Dunlops, a Stage 3 ECU which converted the LPT to FPT and remapped the computer software. The car was 170 Hp and handled well. Now it screams at 270 Hp, spins the wheels off the line and in 2d, goes from 50-85 mph in a snap, and can blow past any BMW, Lexus, etc, on the road. I can throw it into corners like a sports car, and it never slips. BUY THIS CAR! It can be turned into a monster! The 2.3l turbo can be tuned to over 400 Hp. It is a wolf in sheep's clothing

Multi-use Monster
By Ryan on 10/13/07 12:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 Aero Turbo 4dr Hatchback

To preface, let me state that I am a young male with strong inclinations for driving at a spirited pace on mountain roads at night. Knowing this, you may better relate my values to yours. The handling is fantastic. Everytime I test its limits, I'm always surprised. The acceleration is quick, and solid uphill. Repairs have been minimal. Comfortable for distances.The cargo space is more than enough. I've fit all of my camping equipment in this car (tent too). I can also comfortably fit my upright bass. As for aesthetics, the interior is dated, though still nice. No glovebox, but door pockets + pouch in passenger leg area are ample. Exterior is old, but I happen to like 80s design.

Solid
By Dbrooks on 08/25/07 08:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I went from a Porsche 911 into this car, so I was a bit dismayed at the boat-like handling at first. But I have owned it now for almost 2 yrs and haven't had to do anything other than change fluids. Saab has built a vault- like car here, and it has more space than most of my friend's SUVs with much better fuel economy. I'm not crazy about the styling and handling, but it has plenty of power, especially down low in the torque band. The car does 0-30 faster than my girlfriend's Subaru WRX. These cars are just incredible value for the dollar. The car cost more than 40K new in 1997, and I bought it for 5K in 2005.

Awesome
By sully on 04/17/07 16:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Saab 9000 CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I've owned my 9000cs for 1 year. The car has been great. I drove it from Boston to San Diego to Albuquerque to Mexico and back to Albuquerque. It was a very comfortable ride with no problems. The fuel is awesome with cruise control on. Maintenance: new rotors and brakes. New battery. New hub and bearing both sides. New outer boot and halfshaft both sides (if you're changing the outer boot, also change the halfshaft. You can get that in one piece.) I did the work myself. Saved around a thousand. The first side is hard but the second one is a breeze because you know how to do it at that point. I wanted to do the whole front end over. Next I am going to put in new engine mounts. Easy!!

my practical aero
By jonathan on 11/20/05 17:45 PM (PST)

1997 Saab 9000 Aero Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I was looking for a car to buy. I knew I wanted something that looked good (inside and out), comfortable, roomy, good gas mileage while at the same time providing great performance. After everything was said and done I was driving away in my '97 aero and I didnt have to break my bank either. I love the acceleration but i cant wait to add some upgrades for performance, (blow out valve, intake, and manual boost controller. expecting~250hp!) What more could you ask for.