1996 Saab 9000 2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Saabs flagship model then, now,

1996 Saab 9000 - Consumer Review

CS 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Saabs flagship model then, now, and always.
By saabtastic17 on

1996 Saab 9000 CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I have owned various Saabs over the years and the 9000 is my favorite by far. My current is my 500 dollar '96 CS auto that I picked up with 125k. I put about 2000 dollar into it getting it back on the road, was days away from the previous owner scrapping it. All that money was just maintence stuff the PO neglected(tires, CV joints, brakes, transmission flush, coolant flush, battery, etc.) Saabs are super realiable, quiet, comfy and fast. I get about 35 mpg on highway. More interior room than a 5 series, the hatch is huge. Great car for long distance trips with the family or friends. Tons of leg/head room. I currently have 158k on it and haven't had to do anything except oil changes!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, automatic transmission shifts smooth and quiet. Very quite car for its age, leather interior, woodgrain accents, dual power heated front seats, and leather wrapped shift steering wheel are all very upscale. The interior of the car is HUGE! Sits 4 adults very well, mines been on long distance trips many times with family and the hatch backed with bags and still getting 32-35 mpg. Very safe car to drive, drive and passenger air bags, over sized seat belts, Saab was very concerned about safety. Four cylinder engine is easy to work on and is very realiable.

Suggested Improvements

If your 9000 didn't come with the cupholder insert for the center console I suggest hitting up eBay for one of those or the single din coin/cup holder out of a older body style Ford Taurus. The European verison had clear front markers and clear side markers with orange bulbs. They look much better than the standard Orange colored ones that come on most. The stereo systems in these are usually pretty shot by now. I did a high end Hertz/ JL Audio system in mine for 2800 dollars. Though spending 1200 will get you something better than what a Audi A6 comes with standard. If you have the matted black dash insert I also suggest installing the factory burlwood grain dash. Sets off the interior.