1996 Saab 9000 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9000 model:
Saabs flagship model then, now, and always.
By saabtastic17 on 11/03/12 18:21 PM (PDT)

1996 Saab 9000 CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I have owned various Saabs over the years and the 9000 is my favorite by far. My current is my 500 dollar '96 CS auto that I picked up with 125k. I put about 2000 dollar into it getting it back on the road, was days away from the previous owner scrapping it. All that money was just maintence stuff the PO neglected(tires, CV joints, brakes, transmission flush, coolant flush, battery, etc.) Saabs are super realiable, quiet, comfy and fast. I get about 35 mpg on highway. More interior room than a 5 series, the hatch is huge. Great car for long distance trips with the family or friends. Tons of leg/head room. I currently have 158k on it and haven't had to do anything except oil changes!

I miss my Saab...
By elleapril on 01/02/12 17:32 PM (PST)

1996 Saab 9000 CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Bought this car for $1500 with 166k miles and it was running amazing. After a few months I wanted everything fixed up real nice so I put about $1000 into it. It always started up for me, even in cold weather (Minnesota) and I loved it. I had no repairs done that were urgent. About 7 months after I bought it I was rear-ended and pushed into another car. My airbags went off and saved me from what could have been a lot worse. I didn't think that much about safety before and just happened to buy a Saab. I am so thankful I did! It's totaled now which is horrible. I miss it quite a bit. I would buy another.

A great car to own
By drfig on 01/11/10 18:49 PM (PST)

1996 Saab 9000 CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Looking back, this has been one great car. Nearly 13 years and 151,000. This was my 5th SAAB. Still fun to drive and looks perfect. other than a minor clear coat issue, I have never had a major problem with car. Usual maintenance, plus water pump (2x), belt tensioner, brakes, tires, exhaust. Thats almost nothing! Shame on GM for messing up and may close SAAB down.

It has power!
By STILO on 12/22/08 22:05 PM (PST)

1996 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I got the car when it had 152k with a 50k engine and a bad transmission. Well the transmission last me a year although it was bad and leaking. But I got it replaced with a 40k tranny and now it runs great. It has a lot of power once the turbo kicks in and still some to spare. I love this car. I think it would be better with a manual transmission since they are stronger and have greater durability.

Excellent Starter Car!
By Bimmerboy750 on 11/23/08 21:46 PM (PST)

1996 Saab 9000 CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I would definitely recommend any of the 9000 series (CS, CSE, Aero, CDE, etc.) to anyone heading off to college or for their first car. Good acceleration and responsiveness. Love that European vibe that Saabs have. Can not get my car stuck in the snow. I will never get rid of this car!

Good for School
By W.O. on 07/14/08 12:28 PM (PDT)

1996 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I'm now a sophomore in college and I bought this car at the end of my freshmen year. I was a bit hesitant at first because of all the things I hear about Saab's reliability, but the only thing I've done is change the oil when I first bought it. The 9000 shines on the highway where I do most of my driving between home and school. The car can accelerate ridiculously fast anywhere between 20 and 90mph, and this is with a stock engine! My friends and I took the 9000 and my other friends 2006 BMW 325xi to VA Beach this summer, and my friend, playing around, tried to pull away from me on the interstate...he couldn't do it! The Saab easily kept up! Saab has a new loyal fan!

96 Saab 9000 CSE - Turbo
By JackC on 05/07/08 11:54 AM (PDT)

1996 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I was selling Saabs in 2003 and really liked the styling of this version over the newer ones. I kept watching the internet until this 96 turbo showed up with only 38,000 miles. What a great car. I knew that the transmissions were suspect and checked the cars history. The trans. had been replaced by the prior owner. Bingo ! The car now has 83,000 miles and has been a pleasure to drive and own. Best car I've ever owned - and I've owned a few. Sharp styling and great reliability and performance. I still sell cars on the internet and have compared this car to new Hondas, Toyotas, and domestic products. I have no desire to trade this in for another car - everything pales in comparison - I think.

GREAT RELIABILITY, GREAT FUN TO DRIVE
By RobinVA on 04/30/08 06:38 AM (PDT)

1996 Saab 9000 Aero Turbo 4dr Hatchback

This car has been absolutely amazing. I have owned several Saabs and other cars and this one is the best. Of course all my Saabs have been my favorites and this is the best of those. Absolutely no problems. I've only had to do regular maintence. It loves to be driven. I'm at 500,000 miles right now and ticking. The car drive just like it did with 0 miles, Fast with corner hugging fun.

Great Saab !!!
By Bimmerboy on 05/25/07 20:44 PM (PDT)

1996 Saab 9000 CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

My car is a fully loaded CS Turbo. Love it, it's easy to maintain and has a nice smooth ride. A great long haul car.

STILL PERFECT... but
By Laurent on 07/06/06 06:48 AM (PDT)

1996 Saab 9000 Aero Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Last time, I made an issue about the interior. (It hasn't change since its intoduction in 1986) I still do. BUT this car has 152K on it and she still flys!! I had gone 125mph racing Mustangs, BMW, and Corvettes. The fastest I ever went was appox 137mph. I cannot believe the engine is still this strong. I did not modify anything on this car. The car still gets a mix loop (city/highway) of 26mpg.