Used 1996 Saab 9000 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Saab 9000 - Consumer Reviews

1996 Saab 9000

View reviews for a specific 9000 model:

Saabs flagship model then, now, and always.
By saabtastic17

1996 Saab 9000 CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I have owned various Saabs over the years and the 9000 is my favorite by far. My current is my 500 dollar '96 CS auto that I picked up with 125k. I put about 2000 dollar into it getting it back on the road, was days away from the previous owner scrapping it. All that money was just maintence stuff the PO neglected(tires, CV joints, brakes, transmission flush, coolant flush, battery, etc.) Saabs are super realiable, quiet, comfy and fast. I get about 35 mpg on highway. More interior room than a 5 series, the hatch is huge. Great car for long distance trips with the family or friends. Tons of leg/head room. I currently have 158k on it and haven't had to do anything except oil changes!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, automatic transmission shifts smooth and quiet. Very quite car for its age, leather interior, woodgrain accents, dual power heated front seats, and leather wrapped shift steering wheel are all very upscale. The interior of the car is HUGE! Sits 4 adults very well, mines been on long distance trips many times with family and the hatch backed with bags and still getting 32-35 mpg. Very safe car to drive, drive and passenger air bags, over sized seat belts, Saab was very concerned about safety. Four cylinder engine is easy to work on and is very realiable.

Suggested Improvements

If your 9000 didn't come with the cupholder insert for the center console I suggest hitting up eBay for one of those or the single din coin/cup holder out of a older body style Ford Taurus. The European verison had clear front markers and clear side markers with orange bulbs. They look much better than the standard Orange colored ones that come on most. The stereo systems in these are usually pretty shot by now. I did a high end Hertz/ JL Audio system in mine for 2800 dollars. Though spending 1200 will get you something better than what a Audi A6 comes with standard. If you have the matted black dash insert I also suggest installing the factory burlwood grain dash. Sets off the interior.

I miss my Saab...
By elleapril

1996 Saab 9000 CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Bought this car for $1500 with 166k miles and it was running amazing. After a few months I wanted everything fixed up real nice so I put about $1000 into it. It always started up for me, even in cold weather (Minnesota) and I loved it. I had no repairs done that were urgent. About 7 months after I bought it I was rear-ended and pushed into another car. My airbags went off and saved me from what could have been a lot worse. I didn't think that much about safety before and just happened to buy a Saab. I am so thankful I did! It's totaled now which is horrible. I miss it quite a bit. I would buy another.

Favorite Features

Leather seats were awesome! Super comfortable! Love that strong engine that could run forever. You can fold the seats down in the back if you need to haul. I used to star-gaze from the back actually, ha! The window is tilted perfectly and you can lay down and see straight up! Heated seats were a plus! Loved that the gas cap locked. And it has some power.

Suggested Improvements

Things definitely fall apart over time, no matter what car it is. (Mine was 15 years old when I got it) Just the way it is. My a/c was out and the back right door couldn't be manually locked and unlocked. But I would say it held up pretty good!

A great car to own
By drfig

1996 Saab 9000 CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Looking back, this has been one great car. Nearly 13 years and 151,000. This was my 5th SAAB. Still fun to drive and looks perfect. other than a minor clear coat issue, I have never had a major problem with car. Usual maintenance, plus water pump (2x), belt tensioner, brakes, tires, exhaust. Thats almost nothing! Shame on GM for messing up and may close SAAB down.

Favorite Features

Love the nibble turning radius. Great seats. Looks great. Note how the 'new' look of the yuppie cars is towards crossover and hatch designs - SAABs of 20 years past!

It has power!
By STILO

1996 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I got the car when it had 152k with a 50k engine and a bad transmission. Well the transmission last me a year although it was bad and leaking. But I got it replaced with a 40k tranny and now it runs great. It has a lot of power once the turbo kicks in and still some to spare. I love this car. I think it would be better with a manual transmission since they are stronger and have greater durability.

Favorite Features

I love the turbo, the space and how it was built to be a strong car.

Suggested Improvements

The exterior look is not so pretty. If you need parts its hard to find and expensive... but good quality.

Excellent Starter Car!
By Bimmerboy750

1996 Saab 9000 CS Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I would definitely recommend any of the 9000 series (CS, CSE, Aero, CDE, etc.) to anyone heading off to college or for their first car. Good acceleration and responsiveness. Love that European vibe that Saabs have. Can not get my car stuck in the snow. I will never get rid of this car!

Favorite Features

Turbo! Torque, room, auto climate control, standard features, design.

Suggested Improvements

Maintenance cost, tall gearing