Used 1994 Saab 9000 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Saab 9000 - Consumer Reviews

1994 Saab 9000

View reviews for a specific 9000 model:

Lots of car for the money
By axel

1994 Saab 9000 CS 4dr Hatchback

9000's are among the best deals out there right now. You can get a last-year of production (1998) or anything from the 90's and the car you get for the money paid makes it a superb deal. It's hard to understand the relatively low prices, as these Saabs are easily the equivalent of similarly aged BMWs or Audis, and even the base model (CS) has more features than the average German cars of the 90's. It is true that finding a servicing mechanic can be a challenge, and replacement parts are definitely not cheap, but there's nothing unexpected in that. Overall, I highly recommend any 90's Saab 9000 if you're looking for a (still) suberbly safe car.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and mirrors even in the base model, sturdy construction, things work well if you take care of the car. Very impressive performance and almost incredible gas mileage (my average is 30 mpg combined highway/city). I looked long and hard, nothing of this value for this price.

Suggested Improvements

Replacement part prices are a major headache. Servicing mechanics are not numerous, which means you can't shop around much in case you don't like the service. Relatively low resale value, obviously.

Gone but not forgotten
By C.S.H.

1994 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

My 94 9000 CSE Turbo just gave up the ghost (i.e. transmission) at 136K but was still a great car which means it's just time to get another Saab. I've had several in the past, starting with an '84 900. They have treated me well for the most part, and I take into account the maintenance required. I do have a good specialized Saab mechanic which makes a huge difference. This one was bought with a little over 100K (only $5400!) and performed very well for a well-used machine. After 3 years and 30,000 miles, took it to the desert and had one of the most fun rides to date - fast and smooth with great handling on those long lone stretches. Replacing the tranny costs $$ so it's time to try the 9-5!

Favorite Features

Kids loved the back seat airplane style reading lights! Hatchback, comfy seats, great handling and deceptive (turbo) power. Low resale value makes buying an old one easy.

Suggested Improvements

Keep improving, hope they learn (faster) from their mistakes! With a little work these can be made to last much longer.

money pit
By Marc DiVito

1994 Saab 9000 CSE 4dr Hatchback

I purcahsed this car only 3 months ago and can't get rid of it quick enough. When it runs it's fine, but when I'm driving down the highway and the alarm is blairing, the heat doesn't work after I invested $800, and the freekin power antenna decides to go down, it's enough to want to drive it into the wall. Maybe when it was new it was a good car, but now it's a money pit!

It's a Saab, but I love it
By csf9000

1994 Saab 9000 Aero Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Found this black on black Aero with 35K miles in near perfect condition and got a good deal. In the 4 years, I did pretty good on repairs. Only in the last few months have I had major things go out. The cooling system seems to a bit weak as well as the CFC AC, but I live in Phoenix so I imagine I am harder on this than most. But then the heater core went also, so I would watch for or be prepared for something like this. Other than that is has been a great car.

It's a SAAB
By lawguil

1994 Saab 9000 CS 4dr Hatchback

This car is reliable as far as the engine and tranny are concerned (5spd). I like a lot of the features of the car and the famous saab safety. However, parts are expensive for saab's - brakes for rear 400$, Heater fan failed, clutch seems high, bought w/ 118k, tranny was replaced at 80k. Handles well and feels heavy and solid when driving. Ride is somewhat harsh, but performance is good/secure/controlable.

Favorite Features

Styling, interior style, safety, handling, overall reliability...hatchback..Great in the snow..

Suggested Improvements

A little more clutch, price of parts/labor. Parts and labor are sometimes hard to find..