Used 1993 Saab 9000 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9000 model:

Wonderful car
By james

1993 Saab 9000 Hatchback CSE 4dr Hatchback

This is my first car. I love it. I go hunting, fishing, canoeing and skiing all with just my saab. I bought it for 700$ with a lot of body damage. It drives straight and runs good. I take for routine trips that are over 200 miles with no problems. It handles great on the snow and ice (I live in Alaska), The exhaust fell off at the headers, but with a little welding it is as good as new. It looks like a piece of junk but when it drives and runs great who cares. I drive over 20000 miles a year and I have already put 15000 miles on this car (it originally had 185,000 miles). I love this car.

Favorite Features

Roomy, comfortable, great handling and awesome reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing

The Saab that flies
By Tristan

1993 Saab 9000 Hatchback CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I have a 1993 tan Saab 9000 cse turbo standard shift with 244,000 miles on it, but this car really is beautiful and I love driving it, a true European car worth looking up to.

Favorite Features

The look of the pillars, especially the shape of the a and b pillars, the wheels, and the shape of the 3 spoke sport tires, it has a character unmatched by any other except Volvo Jaguar and Alfa Romeo, that is because I have these cars (a 93 850 72 xj6 and alfa 164s), I just collect them.

Suggested Improvements

Improved electrical, other than that it's perfect.

Like a Hot, High Class Girlfriend
By Mike Smith

1993 Saab 9000 Hatchback CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I love my SAAB 9000 CSE, but she's a bit like a beautiful woman who expects to maintained in a certain style. If you don't like periodic $1,000 trips to the garage for brakes, exhaust systems, SRS malfunctions, headlight relay issues, etc., then this is NOT the car for you. Having said all of that when the car runs in top condition, I've never driven anything better. I have hit two deer with mine and they were both high impact incidents, but the car is so well- built and sturdy that I drove away from both. The repairs have exceeded the book value (slightly) both times, but I couldn't bear the thought of parting with my 9000. My only real complaint is the lack of a cup holder.

Favorite Features

The looks are absolutely timeless. The car still turns heads and cleans up very nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders would have been a nice feature. Given my experiences hitting deer, maybe a cowcatcher would be a nice addition...

Stay Away
By Scott Cooke

1993 Saab 9000 Hatchback CSE 4dr Hatchback

Paid 5K for this gem, 9000 CSE 5Dr, 118K. Since I bought it the Timing belt started to rattle, Catalytic Converter needed to be replaced. Had to replace the Rotors, Water Pump and oil sensor, headlight relay and both headlight assemblys (My wife backed into the right side and a rock hit the left). I spilled coffee on the window control, due to the fact that there is no cup holder, only $600 to fix. The dealer did right by me to an extent, but it still cost me about 2K out of pocket.Only drove it 3800 miles, to my house and the train station 9 miles day. Bad luck and lesson learned

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy an old SAAB unless you have lots of cash.

Love em, Hate em
By Steven Byers

1993 Saab 9000 Hatchback CSE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

This is my 2nd SAAB, the first an '87 900S w/manual trans and with 253kmi on the original trans, engine, CV joints and never leaving me stuck somewhere, I baught another one. My '93 9000CSE turbo automatic w/118kmi despite the reviews on autotrans and DI casettes I've had great luck with it. Very roomy inside for four adults as with most cars putting a fifth is ok for shorter trips. plenty of leg room in back and awesome cargo room. I've put a washer and dryer (still in the box) in the back with the seats folded down. Obviously the hatch was open for this but they fit. No remote entry (std) for the early models. any Q's e- mail me at sbyers01@msn.com.

Favorite Features

quick and nimble, roomy, comfortable on long trips, climate control, very easy to drive, 430 mile range (HWY or course)

Suggested Improvements

CUPHOLDERS built in would have been nice on the older models. I understand they are in the newer ones but they seem less than perfect. oh well. great car.