1998 Saab 900 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 900 model:
A fun car
By Cal on 03/31/05 16:46 PM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

The car had 44k on it when I bought it. I got the extended warranty. I expected that there would be some problems because I have researched Saabs. I also own a 2003 9.3. The top was repaired under warranty because it would not retract. A faulty ECU. I do a lot of mechanical work like brakes and oil changes. I think it’s a great car and I am glad I bought it. It’s a quirky car that gives a lot back in handling and feel.

great car for the price
By mkl on 12/30/04 11:54 AM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought a this Saab 900 SE after comparing it to an Audi A4 and BMW M3. The Saab is a quality automobile...not the refinement of a BMW, but still heads above your Hondas and Toyotas of the world. Great performance...not off the line, but in true driving situations like passing or merging...drop a gear, hit the accelerator the turbo really accelerates as fast as any car on the street. Friend has a BMW 540, and it out ran him on the highway. Saab has quirks, but i enjoy it greatly...and the hatchback is key. A slick looking, performance car with great storage capacity. Dont buy tihs car if you want to Mod it...not enough options. 98 is a good year...most of the model quirks are out.

Good car but has some sketchy problems
By Bo75 on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 S Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Serpentine belt failed at 32000 miles, Wiper jets constantly fail, headlamps tend to go out, loud suspension when cold...other than that, gotta love Saab Turbo power!

Love This Car!
By Saab Aficionado Now on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 S Turbo 2dr Hatchback

After doing my research, I flew all the way to N.Y. from San Diego and drove this car back to the left coast. By the time I had arrived, I was convinced I made the wisest purchase of my life. The solid ride, unbelievable power--coupled with great fuel economy--were all pleasant surprises to a frugal driver seeking elusive performance. I haven't had one stich of trouble with the car and it's been solid and dependable. This is a 9-3 in 900S clothing, because it has the same engine (this was only available on base models in '98 in the 3-door coupe). If you can find a well-kept '98 3-door, grab it quickly. You'll never regret your decision...

Very good, fun, reliable- convertible SE
By DeanR on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

A bit quirky here and there - switches, locations, operations but livable over time. Some of the build quality, especially interior pieces are suspect. Turbo lag is about normal for the year - a 6 cyl would be a better all around choice. Auto trans shifts very well. Afraid of potential service costs as the car ages, so will probably sell before 80k miles to avoid, I'll probably be over the convertible-need by then. Needs a tilt steering wheel - only telescopic, wheel is too high (truckish)...

A Blast!
By poordad on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

This car is more fun to drive than any car I have driven to date. Find a country road and mash the accelerator...better than a strong cup of coffee. I bought my Saab used and for buck, it has a helluva lot more bang than anything else in that price range.

Go Saab Go!
By sabrerock on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Really like my Saab 900 SE. Had it for 18 months with just regular maintenance. It handles beautifully and is really comfortable.

HIGH REPAIR COST/ POOR SUPPORT
By rlabat on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

I WENT IN BECAUSE MY CONVERT TOP DID NOT GO UP, NO MOTOR SOUND. $1,400.00 LATER I WAS TOLD IT WAS A WORM GEAR AND HAD TO BE TIMED. ONE WEEK LATER, SAME PROB,NOW ITS A INTERMITTENT SWITCH PROBLEM AND THAT COST WAS $230.00. I COMPLAINED TO THE MANAGER WITH NO SATISFACTION. ALSO CALL SAAB USA AND WAS TOLD THE WIGWAM SAAB IS INDEPENDANT AND THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO. THERE WAS NO INTERVENTION OR CONTROL BY USA SAAB,AS TO MAX LABOR COST OR PART COST THAT COULD BE CHARGED.I BELIEVE IT WAS THE SWITCH IN THE FIRST PLACE,NO SOUND WAS HEARD WHEN THE SWITCH WAS USED. PS THE COST OF CLUTCH JOB IS $1500.00

Interesting Car
By Nisha on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

As a women would, I bought this car for the elegant look it has. However, this car is meant for speeding. Be very careful! Not only with the speed, but with maintenance as well. This is a pricey car to maintain. It costs me $600 just for a 65,000mph check-up and I've only had the car for 2 months. Other than that It's a great car to flaunt around in.

Decnt Car
By Lance S on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

Great Car but expensive to fix