1998 Saab 900 Consumer Reviews 2

1998 Saab 900 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 900 model:
Mine has been great
By joec on 08/07/08 10:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I've owned my 900 SE Turbo Conv for 7 years now and have loved every minute of it. Perhaps I've been lucky as I've experienced next to none of the quirky problems that other Saab owners appear to have. Other than routine maintenance, the only thing thats gone wrong was the top motor. At 10 years old I think that is certainly reasonable. I'm thinking seriously of replacing it with a new one, but with only 91K on it to date, it doesn't make much economic sense for me at the moment.

Too Expensive
By partjet on 05/24/08 12:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 120,000 miles and I realize its not a new car but have had to replace a lot of parts. I have spent almost as much money to fix the car than what I bought it for and it still needs work. Its certainly a nice car but what a headache.

Flawless Mix of Luxury and Performance
By A New Saab Lover on 06/01/07 07:24 AM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Yes, the car's turbo system has an extremely minor lag, but other than that the car is such a wonderful vehicle. It's an energetic little car that makes shifting lanes, speeding, and handling supreme to any other in its class. I absolutely love my little Saab hatchback. The trunk space, the features, the size, everything is perfect.

Good Car but expensive to maintain
By Harold Pardo on 08/29/06 15:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

I have had this car for over 2 years now. I love all the quirks it has and the fact that they are a rare sight where I live is and added bonus for me. I have to say it's not the fastest but it's fun to drive. It's not the cheapest to maintain but it's very reliable. My personal opinion is that as far as maintanance I have spent a bit over 4000 dollar these last 2 years including the standard 95,000 service wich costs 550 dollars. Replacement of the top motor with labor $770 (was replaced 3 years ago) and certain other repairs which can be traced back to foul weather (snow, salt). As I mentioned, I purchased mine used and has never let me down. I'll keep it until it blows up.

my SAAB brings all the girls home!
By shane on 04/26/06 19:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I just bought a 1998 900 SE Turbo 4 dr. in boston and drove it to Virginia! I LOVE the car! It has 167777 miles and it drives better than my dads 1995 lincoln town car! i would love to have 2 just to do so!

Fast Fun Car
By Zac on 03/15/06 18:07 PM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

Awesome car to own. I bought it in the middle of summer, had a blast with the top down pretty much everyday. Engine Mods are expensive as well as OEM parts replaced. Something to really consider before buying one with high miles. Saab generally cost at least twice as much to fix than other cars. But if you got a big wallet then go for it, you won't regret the quick spooling of the turbo charger and super fast take offs from stop lights. This car handles amazing around corners, and with the right set of tires it can take'em fast.

Don't BUY Last Original SAAB
By Steven on 12/12/05 02:07 AM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

I had bought the car at 60,000 miles and for the last 3 years I had spent ~$4.500 in repairs including Check Engine Light problem which trigger a lot of sensors replacement and even expensive CPU replacement. The Ventilation system always blows warm air if the A/C is off because the air comes near the engine. The original front brakes disks are so soft that it required replacement at 70,000 miles. Almost constantly there was always something to fix since I have it. I also have SAAB 93 which is completely redesign after GM bought SAAB and now I understand the Add GM had that they had fixed more than 100 things in the car. Now this makes sense -> Don't buy it. Steve

Expensive to Repair
By Secor on 11/17/05 16:13 PM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

Purchased my 9.3 turbo SE convert in 2000 with 40k miles on it. Just a word to the wise: over the last 5 years I have put about $11- $15k into it for a new automatic transmission, new motor for convertible top, new brake pads & rotors (2x), oil changes and major and minor services. While I really enjoyed *having* this car, I don't think I would make this decision again. I had a Honda before and I like the cheap maintenance and regular unleaded fuel. I will go back to that soon, I'm almost over the need for a convertible. I have to admit though, if you don't mind shelling out more than the usual amount of $$ for service, it's the coolest convertible out there.

Love the Saab Turbo
By saabfan on 09/20/05 10:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car new. Skeptical after reading reviews but compared to BMW and Audi, it's a better buy for the money. Great acceleration with the turbo beyond 3000 rpm. Has been very reliable, safe and surprisingly great gas mileage. Yes, repairs can be costly, but what cars repairs aren't today. Reliability and driving fun are key to me and Saab's got'em... Very safe car too. The display unit continues to surprise me with the level of detail it shows with regard to an engine need or service requirement. I would highly recommend this car to anyone wanting a fun to drive, safe, good mileage car that is not just another Honda or Toyota. I hope Saab continues with the 3 door hatch in the future!

Fun Car
By Calgordon1 on 04/25/05 16:30 PM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

This is a second car. My other car is a 2003 9.3. The 900 S convertible has proven to be a solid high quality vehicle and fun to drive. The convertible top has given some trouble with the ECU. I would recommend an extended warranty because of some common reported problem areas with the top. Electric motors that control the top may also fail and are expensive to repair. All and all I would recommend this car.