Used 1998 Saab 900 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 900 model:

First car, never forgotten
By javamonsters

1998 Saab 900 Convertible S 2dr Convertible

I bought this car off Craigslist for 1,700 and... It's worth it. Being a fist car and a manual transmission I didn't know how to drive one. i burned the clutch up learning (my fault) since i know a really cheap retired Saab mechanic i only paid 650$ (without slave cylinder replacement) runs great burns no oil i recently put new control arms in it because it shakes when driving due to accident. the top leaks really bad it needs a new one its 5 years old. the top motor has been replaced by previous owner apparently a big problem with the 1998's. other than that i have little problems the driver window wobbles a/c doesn't work and doors lock randomly.
Sucks they don't make them any more.

Convertible good sounding speakers 5 speed power for a 4 cylinder that feels like a 6 leather seats 5 disk cd in trunk the clock

stronger top motor a/c knobs break too often more knee room for driver

Reliable, fun and even practical
By GoDucks

1998 Saab 900 Convertible SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I've never had any engine and/or related mechanical problems. The car, even though it's a convertible, has a quieter interior than my Chevy Blazer. I like the four seats, and the back even folds-down to expose a cargo hole into the truck. Much more practical than a miata, S2000, etc. I have carried skis, and 8' pieces of lumber inside my convertible! The bad: the automatic climate control system uses a little fan to sense the inside temperature; that little fan frequently rattles, which can be annoying. The mechanics of the convertible top can be touchy -- $500 in repairs over the last 5 years. Overall good car. EXCELLENT value for money.

Heated seats, great sound system, fold down back seat.

Headlight burn out every 6 months, regardless of the "quality" of bulb I buy.

Some good, some bad
By bakerjf

1998 Saab 900 Convertible S 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car with 50,000 miles on it back in 01' - it now has almost 140,000. The good - great engine, plenty of pep, nowhere near needing a rebuild. The bad - I recently had to replace the muffler, as well as having the abs module rebuilt (only $140), apparently a common weak point on these cars. Generally repairs do not come cheap and get increasingly hard to justify as the car gets older. The ugly - the top. Have had it in 4 or 5 times to get fixed since I owned it - never the motor though, always some goofy part that causes the whole thing not to work. These cars are a joy to drive and style-wise have held up rather very well. I won't be getting rid of mine anytime soon.

Engine - have heard they have a reputation for sludge, but I've always had the oil replaced every 3k - no problems, very peppy, never needed repairs.

The top stinks. I have heard Saab fixed many of the problems in later models.

Nice ride
By Bud

1998 Saab 900 Convertible SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

Got it with 167K and I'm up to 212K now. Needed A/C hoses and front exhaust piece when I bought it, that's it. I replaced nothing but headlight bulbs (several of them), hazard switch, power antenna, tires and oil. Convertible top always works good for me. Very reliable daily driver.

Ride comfort, tight body and handling, turbo acceleration when at or above 3000 rpm. Never let me down. A great used buy! Engine is still like new - powerful at 212K!

Information display led pixels often going out sometimes returning. Headlight bulb life. Power antenna design.

1998 Saab 900-SE Convertible 2.0LTurbo
By Angela Carroll

1998 Saab 900 Convertible SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

Everything thing is so nice the leather seats and the car alarm and it is very very comfortable to sit in and the air conditioning is nice. It is a very fast car to drive fast as a Mustang. I would refer any to buy this car it is a great car to own!

I love the convertible top when it works and I love the turbo fast engine and CD Disc changer and I love the traffic station and weather band on the radio features and the tire changing equipment it comes with.

The only negative thing is the gas mileage and the motor of the convertible top was broke on it and I have heard about many people with the convertible top malfunctioning and it cost so much for the part to get fixed.